An Old School Catholic Message Board

Obama Orders Gitmo To Close

missionseeker

Saint Therese

I don't know how you could call a war we've won a blunder. Of course it is the most under reported and misrepresented war in modern history.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1759082' date='Jan 23 2009, 02:46 AM']I don't know how you could call a war we've won a blunder. Of course it is the most under reported and misrepresented war in modern history.[/quote]

:yawn:

The war was won. The occupation was a blunder, a fiasco, a catastrophe, a clusterf....you get the point.

Edited by kujo

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1759060' date='Jan 23 2009, 01:10 AM']Frankly I don't care how the U.S is viewed abroad. Why should I care about the opinions of people who can't even run their own countries?[/quote]

[quote name='philothea' post='1759064' date='Jan 23 2009, 01:14 AM']How about how the U.S. is viewed by God?[/quote]

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1759065' date='Jan 23 2009, 01:19 AM']What about it?[/quote]
Do you think God cares about nations obeying laws and honoring treaties? Treaties not about something unjust -- warmongering, or power-grabbing, but about how human prisoners should be held?

But... nevermind. I realize there's no point in this. You give no indication that you're remotely interested in any point of view but your own. I won't bother you again; I apologize.

Ash Wednesday

I don't have a problem with the U.S. government addressing whatever human rights abuses were taking place at Gitmo...but wouldn't it have been better to have some sort of plan laid out regarding where they are going to put the detainess before closing the base? I mean, they were there for a reason...:unsure:

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1759284' date='Jan 23 2009, 01:42 PM']I don't have a problem with the U.S. government addressing whatever human rights abuses were taking place at Gitmo...but wouldn't it have been better to have some sort of plan laid out regarding where they are going to put the detainess before closing the base? I mean, they were there for a reason...:unsure:[/quote]

That's why they're not going to "close" the PRISON (NOT THE BASE) for at least a year. This will give them ample time to deal with everyone there.

Ash Wednesday

[quote name='kujo' post='1759286' date='Jan 23 2009, 01:44 PM']That's why they're not going to "close" the PRISON (NOT THE BASE) for at least a year. This will give them ample time to deal with everyone there.[/quote]

Maybe. As someone who has worked for a state institution for almost a decade, I can't say I really trust the bureaucratic concept of time and competence.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1758970' date='Jan 23 2009, 12:04 AM']The conventions only protects combatants in uniform.[/quote]

categorically false

[quote name='Winchester' post='1759005' date='Jan 23 2009, 12:53 AM']Mine is practicality. They are soldiers more than criminals and they are not citizens. You've created a straw man--I've not advocated anarchy. I have made the point that these are neither citizens nor mere criminals. Thus they should not be treated the same as other criminals.[/quote]

Except the ones who wern't criminals.

Saint Therese

[quote name='philothea' post='1759238' date='Jan 23 2009, 11:05 AM']Do you think God cares about nations obeying laws and honoring treaties? Treaties not about something unjust -- warmongering, or power-grabbing, but about how human prisoners should be held?

But... nevermind. I realize there's no point in this. You give no indication that you're remotely interested in any point of view but your own. I won't bother you again; I apologize.[/quote]

Ohh kay. :mellow:

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1758970' date='Jan 23 2009, 12:04 AM']The conventions only protects combatants in uniform. Also, all combatants according to the Geneva Conventions are members of military of governments, which terrorists are not.
Perhaps YOU should do some research.[/quote]

Actually the Supreme Court ruled that detainees at Gitmo were protected under Common Article 3 of the Geneva Convention. [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamdan_v._Rumsfeld"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamdan_v._Rumsfeld[/url] -Katie

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1760004' date='Jan 24 2009, 02:00 AM']Just because they rule something doesn't make it so.[/quote]

If the Supreme Court of the US rules this, however, its citizens are obliged to abide by it. -Katie

Saint Therese

Yes just like another great decision of theirs, abortion. I for one choose to question the validity of their decisions.