An Old School Catholic Message Board

Obama Orders Gitmo To Close

missionseeker

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1760734' date='Jan 24 2009, 11:54 PM']Give me a break.[/quote]

The US also backed many fascist dictators in South America during the cold war to prevent communism. -Katie

Saint Therese

Name five.

We've taken out more than a few as well.

So what are you saying about the U.S? We're evil? We need the Messiah(O'bama) to save us with his babykilling politics? What?

Edited by Saint Therese

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1760734' date='Jan 24 2009, 11:54 PM']Give me a break.[/quote]

We didn't prop up the Shah of Iran? I'm not making this up, look up Operation AJAX, led by Kermit Roosevelt after the British governemtn managed to convince Eisenhower that Iran was in danger of falling to the communists (false, but Mosadegh had nationalized Anglo-Iranian oil ((an act the British had old their own stupidity, obstinance, and cruelty to blame)) and they didn;t like this).

It happened in 1953.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1760739' date='Jan 24 2009, 11:57 PM']Name five.[/quote]

Iran, Uzbekistan, Egypt, Pakistan, and Nicaragua.

[quote]We've taken out more than a few as well.[/quote]

Like Sadam Hussein? The lovely chap we backed untill he turned on us, of course we backed him because we were concerned about the spread of revolutionary Iran which had an Islamic Revolution in 1979, a revolution against the Shah, whom we supported and propped up because Mossadegh posed a problem to our good buddies the British.

Does this make sense to anyone?

[quote]So what are you saying about the U.S? We're evil? We need the Messiah(O'bama) to save us with his babykilling politics? What?[/quote]

Like any empire we have done many evil things, we have also done many good things.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1760739' date='Jan 24 2009, 11:57 PM']Name five.

We've taken out more than a few as well.

So what are you saying about the U.S? We're evil? We need the Messiah(O'bama) to save us with his babykilling politics? What?[/quote]

South American Dictators backed by the US:
Augosto Pinochet (Chile)
General Efrain Rios Mont (Guatemala)
Roberto Suazo Cordova (Honduras)
General Manuel Noriega (Panama)
General Maximilio Hernández (Nicarauga)

I didn't say a word about Obama-I didn't vote for him and I don't know why you would imply that I somewho support his "babykilling politics". I said that maybe the US isn't above some of the things for which it criticizes other countries. -Katie

Edited by Tinkerlina

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1760752' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:03 AM']So what are you saying?[/quote]

That we cannot sleep with the devil and remain virgins. We cannot back dictators and them be suprised when the people they abuse get really, really angry with us or act like we have no responsibility for the condition of their country.

Saint Therese

So what you're saying is that whenever we intervene in foreign nations we cause problems, yet its our duty to intervene?

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1760761' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:11 AM']So what you're saying is that whenever we intervene in foreign nations we cause problems, yet its our duty to intervene?[/quote]

I think he's saying that we should clean up our own messes. -Katie

Saint Therese

I was asking him.

And cleaning up our own mess is what we have been doing in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Edited by Saint Therese

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1760761' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:11 AM']So what you're saying is that whenever we intervene in foreign nations we cause problems, yet its our duty to intervene?[/quote]

Not necessairly. All I am saying is that if we back a dictator we cannot claim that the population must pull itself up by its own bootstraps while we are helping to support the dictator whose thugs are bashing in their heads. I'm not saying we should or should not step in, I'm just saying we must be honest about our policies and have a stable paradigm of international relations. I think we owe at least that to the world.

Edited by Hassan

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1760774' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:16 AM']I was asking him.

And cleaning up our own mess is what we have been doing in Iraq and Afghanistan.[/quote]

My apologies, I didn't mean to speak for Hassan. -Katie

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1760798' date='Jan 25 2009, 12:25 AM']My apologies, I didn't mean to speak for Hassan. -Katie[/quote]

yeah, back off :annoyed:

:topsy: