An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Spirituality Are You Drawn To The Most?

InHisLove726

Spirituality  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='05 July 2010 - 07:29 PM' timestamp='1278376192' post='2138177']
Have you ever heard of Fr. Gabriel's devotional book called [i]Divine Intimacy[/i]? One of my friends told me about it before she entered a cloistered Carmel earlier this year. I've seen it in a Catholic gift shop here, but I've never bought it. You might like it:
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Divine-Intimacy-Meditations-Interior-Liturgical/dp/0895558173/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278376157&sr=1-2"]Divine Intimacy[/url]
[/quote]

:shock::shock:[size="3"][b] $60![/b][/size] ok ok its leather bound and 1227 pages but still.... must find cheaper way to get it! :sweat: So many books I want *sigh* Reason #98 religious life would be nice - all the books I want to read are right there and I dont have to buy them!

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='05 July 2010 - 07:32 PM' timestamp='1278376339' post='2138179']
For me, it is Our Lady Immaculate. I consecrated myself to her on December 8th, 2009. I love how beautiful she is.

BTW--here's an interesting little tidbit:

I was baptized as a baby on August 15th! It wasn't until last year that it hit me that I was baptized on the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary! Pretty cool, eh? :))
[/quote]

+1 for being baptized on the feast of the Assumption! That is awesomeness! I think I was baptized in February but I dont rmember because I was a baby too, so Id have to look it up.

edited to add
Ok I looked it up and I was baptized on the feast of St Scholastica! :thumbsup: Who, according to wikipedia, is the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patron_saint"]patron saint[/url] of [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nun"]nuns[/url], [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convulsion"]convulsive[/url] [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children"]children[/url], and is invoked against storms and [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rain"]rain[/url]. nuns :mellow: eek

Edited by vee8

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='27 June 2010 - 12:29 PM' timestamp='1277656186' post='2134916']
On the subject of Marian spirituality and devotion I found this in the reading from day 15 of the total consecration to Jesus through Mary. Here is the link
http://www.fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationday15.html
[b]Thirdly, we must choose among all the devotions to the Blessed Virgin the one which will lead us more surely to this dying to self. This devotion will be the best and the most sanctifying for us. [/b]

Since there are so many devotions to Mary I thought I'd let her pick which one I should have.... and it seems she chose Our Lady of Mt Carmel for me. Maybe.

Edited to add link
[/quote]

I have been pondering this.. and well, to be honest, I have no idea whatsoever which devotion of the Blesssed Virgin leads me more to this dying to self. :dunce:

How do you find this out? I need a "Dummy's Guide". :help: :sweat:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='06 July 2010 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1278446186' post='2138567']
I have been pondering this.. and well, to be honest, I have no idea whatsoever which devotion of the Blesssed Virgin leads me more to this dying to self. :dunce:

[/quote]
We cd pull them from a hat...as we did with the fruits of the Holy Spirit.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Kathgirl' date='06 July 2010 - 05:06 PM' timestamp='1278450415' post='2138613']
[/quote]

:lol:

That sounds like fun!

:clapping:

[quote name='Kathgirl' date='06 July 2010 - 04:06 PM' timestamp='1278450415' post='2138613']
[/quote]

If we can agree on a list I shall pray and pull them out of a hat, or possibly toque :lol:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='06 July 2010 - 02:56 PM' timestamp='1278446186' post='2138567']

[/quote]

Well Im pretty much a dummy so here are my suggestions for you. If you're going to be a Dominican how about Our Lady of the Rosary? You could go by your phorum name and choose Our Lady Joy of the Cross. I think you said you like Our Lady of Guadalupe as well so maybe her?

Edited by vee8

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='06 July 2010 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1278457687' post='2138700']
Well Im pretty much a dummy so here are my suggestions for you. If you're going to be a Dominican how about Our Lady of the Rosary. You could go by your phorum name and choose Our Lady Joy of the Cross.
[/quote]

:lol: You've got a good point there (about the devotions -- not you being a dummy :blowkiss: )!

I mean, in all honesty.. I really smell of elderberries at praying the rosary by myself. How sad is that, especially for a future Dominican? :paperbag:

[size="1"]I hope I have not shamed my dear Holy Father Dominic or fellow Dominicans... :tomato: [/size]

"Cause of Our Joy" has always been quite helpful in the past as well. :love: Both that devotion/advocation ties in really closely to "Joy of the Cross" for me. They pretty much go hand in hand in my book.

Here's a start to the list
The Immaculate Heart of Mary
The Seven Sorrows of Mary
The Seven Joys of Mary
Our Lady of the Rosary
Our Lady of the Miraculous medal
Our Lady of Fatima
Our Lady of Lourdes
Our Lady of Guadalupe
Our Lady of Mt Carmel

TeresaBenedicta

As a member of the Militia Immaculatae, and having made my consecration to Our Lady through St. Maximilian Kolbe's prayer of consecration, I have a deep devotion to the Immaculate. I'm drawn to Our Lady through her titles as Our Lady of Perpetual Help and Our Lady Cause of Our Joy.

I've never thought of focusing on one particular devotion to help die to myself. I suppose then I would say my deepest devotion is to Our Lady as the Immaculate. I renew my consecration each day and one of my favorite invocations to Mary is, "O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse thee." It is a beautiful prayer, as is Koble's consecration prayer... of all the prayers, I think that one (the consecration prayer) truly does help me to die to self by giving all to Mary! Love my Mommy! :love:

Although, as a bit of a side note, I just reviewed the Louis deMontfort consecration prayer with the RCIA group at my parish two weeks ago. I think it's a beautiful prayer as well, especially because the renewal of our baptismal promises is so more evident in it than in the Kolbe prayer. I like them both and I think they both emphasize different things. I think the Kolbe prayer more emphasizes being completely Mary's, given completely to her to do whatever work she may ask of us.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='06 July 2010 - 07:44 PM' timestamp='1278459894' post='2138732']
Here's a start to the list
The Immaculate Heart of Mary
The Seven Sorrows of Mary
The Seven Joys of Mary
Our Lady of the Rosary
Our Lady of the Miraculous medal
Our Lady of Fatima
Our Lady of Lourdes
Our Lady of Guadalupe
Our Lady of Mt Carmel
[/quote]

Sooo.... since I think I'm still somewhat confused about this "devotion to help me die to self" bit, can you help me understand what it means if I have a devotion (to help me die to self) to a certain advocation of Mary...? :scratchhead: Does this mean that I pray specific prayers related to that special advocation? For example, I have a great love for the Seven Joys and Seven Sorrows of Mary -- should I then pray the Franciscan Crown (for the Seven Joys) and the Chaplet of the Seven Sorrows to help me die to self? Or if my devotion was to Our Lady of Fatima, then should I always make the First Saturdays devotions?

Or am I to choose that which is most difficult for me to help me in my dying to self? :unsure: Or does "having a devotion to help me die to self" simply mean that I have a specific love for Our Lady in a specific way? Like really connecting with her as "Mary Cause of Our Joy" and "The Sorrowful Mother"?

Perhaps I'm thinking too much about this... :sweat:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='06 July 2010 - 07:07 PM' timestamp='1278461225' post='2138739']
Sooo.... since I think I'm still somewhat confused about this "devotion to help me die to self" bit, can you help me understand what it means if I have a devotion (to help me die to self) to a certain advocation of Mary...? :scratchhead: Does this mean that I pray specific prayers related to that special advocation? For example, I have a great love for the Seven Joys and Seven Sorrows of Mary -- should I then pray the Franciscan Crown (for the Seven Joys) and the Chaplet of the Seven Sorrows to help me die to self? Or if my devotion was to Our Lady of Fatima, then should I always make the First Saturdays devotions?

Or am I to choose that which is most difficult for me to help me in my dying to self? :unsure: Or does "having a devotion to help me die to self" simply mean that I have a specific love for Our Lady in a specific way? Like really connecting with her as "Mary Cause of Our Joy" and "The Sorrowful Mother"?

Perhaps I'm thinking too much about this... :sweat:
[/quote]
:blink:
Ok Our Lady of Mt Carmel for you! :lol:
Hmmm I'm going to have think about a longer answer!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='06 July 2010 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1278463685' post='2138759']
:blink:
Ok Our Lady of Mt Carmel for you! :lol:
Hmmm I'm going to have think about a longer answer!
[/quote]

This is what happens when a Dominican asks a question. :hehehe:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='06 July 2010 - 07:07 PM' timestamp='1278461225' post='2138739']
Sooo.... since I think I'm still somewhat confused about this "devotion to help me die to self" bit, can you help me understand what it means if I have a devotion (to help me die to self) to a certain advocation of Mary...? :scratchhead: Does this mean that I pray specific prayers related to that special advocation? For example, I have a great love for the Seven Joys and Seven Sorrows of Mary -- should I then pray the Franciscan Crown (for the Seven Joys) and the Chaplet of the Seven Sorrows to help me die to self? Or if my devotion was to Our Lady of Fatima, then should I always make the First Saturdays devotions?[/quote]

Yes I think you should prayer specific prayers related to that particular advocation for example I like the flos carmeli but I dont say it everyday, although maybe I should since it is really short. I will also be starting the novena to Our Lady of Mt Carmel soon.

[quote]Or am I to choose that which is most difficult for me to help me in my dying to self? [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif[/img] Or does "having a devotion to help me die to self" simply mean that I have a specific love for Our Lady in a specific way? Like really connecting with her as "Mary Cause of Our Joy" and "The Sorrowful Mother"?[/quote]

It says to help one die to self but also the best and most sanctifying so whichever would be the best help on your way to holiness. I think you should at least connect with whichever devotion and in that you will find joys and difficulties but you dont have to make it unecessarily hard on yourself like picking Our Lady of Liver Meatloaf!

[quote]Perhaps I'm thinking too much about this... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sweat.gif[/img][/quote]

Or Im not thinking enough :lol: