An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Spirituality Are You Drawn To The Most?

InHisLove726

Spirituality  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

lookingforfaith

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='25 June 2010 - 04:10 PM' timestamp='1277496632' post='2134158']
[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/tomato.gif[/img]

Don't shoot the innocent, please!
[/quote]

May as well revive it though! It's a great thread!!

Franciscan for me all da way!!

Mary Veronica

I put Marian, but not referring to some kind of Order. It's just I'm crazy about the Marian works of St. Louis de Montfort, St. Alphonsus Ligouri, Mary of Agreda, St. Bernard, St. Bernadette, Sr. Lucia of Fatima, etc....

But I'll be entering the Carmelite Order.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='25 June 2010 - 01:28 PM' timestamp='1277486938' post='2134099']
100% Dominican! I love all the Dominican saints including:

St. Catherine of Siena
St. Martin de Porres
St. Rose of Lima

and, of course!

St. Dominic!
[/quote]

If anyone is interested in learning about these saints and others, I have linked their biographies on my profile. ;)

I'm a confused person. I'm drawn to the Carmelites, I'd like to be more Dominican, but have discovered that I'm Franciscan.
:wacko:
I don't know how I live with myself.

laetitia crucis

Hmmm.. I think when I first answered this poll, I put Marian. I still think that's quite accurate. :))

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='26 June 2010 - 03:36 PM' timestamp='1277577404' post='2134569']
Hmmm.. I think when I first answered this poll, I put Marian. I still think that's quite accurate. :))
[/quote]

Haha, I think Marian is the safest answer-- we go wherever Mary leads us!!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='26 June 2010 - 03:00 PM' timestamp='1277578824' post='2134576']
Haha, I think Marian is the safest answer-- we go wherever Mary leads us!!
[/quote]

Amen! :love:

I think this is perhaps the reason why I've had such a difficult time understanding my own spirituality in discernment. All I knew is that I love Our Lady and wanted to be in an order/community that loves her deeply and has a great devotion to her. However, it turns out (most appropriately, of course ;) ) that a majority of Orders/communities seem to have a great love and devotion to her. :sweat:

It would be easier if I knew from the very beginning that I was a "Carmelite", "Franciscan", "Dominican", etc... hmmm... this makes me curious about how each spirituality incorporates Marian devotion and the "Marian" spirituality into their own.... :scratchhead:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='26 June 2010 - 04:07 PM' timestamp='1277579262' post='2134581']
Amen! :love:

I think this is perhaps the reason why I've had such a difficult time understanding my own spirituality in discernment. All I knew is that I love Our Lady and wanted to be in an order/community that loves her deeply and has a great devotion to her. However, it turns out (most appropriately, of course ;) ) that a majority of Orders/communities seem to have a great love and devotion to her. :sweat:

It would be easier if I knew from the very beginning that I was a "Carmelite", "Franciscan", "Dominican", etc... hmmm... this makes me curious about how each spirituality incorporates Marian devotion and the "Marian" spirituality into their own.... :scratchhead:
[/quote]

Haha, I find it funny that our stories are fairly inversed!! I was [i]so[/i] set on being a Dominican, but Mary led me elsewhere!!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='26 June 2010 - 06:52 PM' timestamp='1277592776' post='2134636']
Haha, I find it funny that our stories are fairly inversed!! I was [i]so[/i] set on being a Dominican, but Mary led me elsewhere!!
[/quote]

You are so right -- God has an incredibly amusing sense of humor! :lol:

On the subject of Marian spirituality and devotion I found this in the reading from day 15 of the total consecration to Jesus through Mary. Here is the link
http://www.fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationday15.html
[b]Thirdly, we must choose among all the devotions to the Blessed Virgin the one which will lead us more surely to this dying to self. This devotion will be the best and the most sanctifying for us. [/b]

Since there are so many devotions to Mary I thought I'd let her pick which one I should have.... and it seems she chose Our Lady of Mt Carmel for me. Maybe.

Edited to add link

Edited by vee8

From wikipedia

Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalene de' Pazzi, OCD, a revered authority on Carmelite spirituality, wrote that devotion to Our Lady of Mount Carmel means:

a special call to the interior life, which is preeminently a Marian life. Our Lady wants us to resemble her not only in our outward vesture but, far more, in heart and spirit. If we gaze into Mary's soul, we shall see that grace in her has flowered into a spiritual life of incalcuable wealth: a life of recollection, prayer, uninterrupted oblation to God, continual contact, and intimate union with him. Mary's soul is a sanctuary reserved for God alone, where no human creature has ever left its trace, where love and zeal for the glory of God and the salvation of mankind reign supreme. [...] Those who want to live their devotion to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel to the full must follow Mary into the depths of her interior life. Carmel is the symbol of the contemplative life, the life wholly dedicated to the quest for God, wholly orientated towards intimacy with God; and the one who has best realized this highest of ideals is Our Lady herself, 'Queen and Splendor of Carmel'." [12]

:love:

• 2 weeks later...
OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' date='27 June 2010 - 01:03 PM' timestamp='1277658186' post='2134928']
From wikipedia

Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalene de' Pazzi, OCD, a revered authority on Carmelite spirituality, wrote that devotion to Our Lady of Mount Carmel means:

a special call to the interior life, which is preeminently a Marian life. Our Lady wants us to resemble her not only in our outward vesture but, far more, in heart and spirit. If we gaze into Mary's soul, we shall see that grace in her has flowered into a spiritual life of incalcuable wealth: a life of recollection, prayer, uninterrupted oblation to God, continual contact, and intimate union with him. Mary's soul is a sanctuary reserved for God alone, where no human creature has ever left its trace, where love and zeal for the glory of God and the salvation of mankind reign supreme. [...] Those who want to live their devotion to Our Lady of Mt. Carmel to the full must follow Mary into the depths of her interior life. Carmel is the symbol of the contemplative life, the life wholly dedicated to the quest for God, wholly orientated towards intimacy with God; and the one who has best realized this highest of ideals is Our Lady herself, 'Queen and Splendor of Carmel'." [12]

:love:
[/quote]

Have you ever heard of Fr. Gabriel's devotional book called [i]Divine Intimacy[/i]? One of my friends told me about it before she entered a cloistered Carmel earlier this year. I've seen it in a Catholic gift shop here, but I've never bought it. You might like it:
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Divine-Intimacy-Meditations-Interior-Liturgical/dp/0895558173/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1278376157&sr=1-2"]Divine Intimacy[/url]

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' date='27 June 2010 - 12:29 PM' timestamp='1277656186' post='2134916']
On the subject of Marian spirituality and devotion I found this in the reading from day 15 of the total consecration to Jesus through Mary. Here is the link
http://www.fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationday15.html
[b]Thirdly, we must choose among all the devotions to the Blessed Virgin the one which will lead us more surely to this dying to self. This devotion will be the best and the most sanctifying for us. [/b]

Since there are so many devotions to Mary I thought I'd let her pick which one I should have.... and it seems she chose Our Lady of Mt Carmel for me. Maybe.

Edited to add link
[/quote]

For me, it is Our Lady Immaculate. I consecrated myself to her on December 8th, 2009. I love how beautiful she is.

BTW--here's an interesting little tidbit:

I was baptized as a baby on August 15th! It wasn't until last year that it hit me that I was baptized on the Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary! Pretty cool, eh? :))

sistersintigo

My vote is Carthusian, as in Chartreuse.
Not a question of entering, as I am too much of a wimp to last in a charterhouse.
But my studies introduced me to:
the Meditations of Guigo, the Fifth Prior / successor to founder St. Bruno; sometimes called Guigo I or "Guigo the Elder"[Guigues l'Ancien]
The spirituality of his Latin Meditations, from roughly 1200 AD, is strongly ascetic and eremitical.
My first look at his Meditations, and I thought: this stuff is the BOMB. Still feel that way.