homeschoolmom Posted June 25, 2009 Posted June 25, 2009 [quote name='CatherineM' post='1901493' date='Jun 25 2009, 06:40 PM']The New York Times is confirming his death now too.[/quote] Yeah... weird.... what a week. The last time I remember a "two-fer" was on the day HSson minor was born-- John Ritter and Johnny Cash... Though I think they were actually a day apart (but I was still in the hospital the whole time)... and oddly, we named him John.
VeniteAdoremus Posted June 25, 2009 Posted June 25, 2009 Wow. I grew up with the guy... my babysitter named her son after him We used to dance to his music on the coffee table when we were preschoolers. Back then, "Thriller" freaked me out though. Requiescat in pace.
BG45 Posted June 25, 2009 Posted June 25, 2009 Thriller came out before I was born. I still remember it when I was little...
Brother Adam Posted June 25, 2009 Posted June 25, 2009 I guess I'm just not moved by celebrity deaths. I share no emotional connection to them. Certainly I can pray for their souls, but I'm not bothered by it. 50 is very young to die.
heavenseeker Posted June 25, 2009 Posted June 25, 2009 [quote name='Brother Adam' post='1901522' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:12 PM']I guess I'm just not moved by celebrity deaths. I share no emotional connection to them. Certainly I can pray for their souls, but I'm not bothered by it. 50 is very young to die.[/quote] yeah most of the time it doesnt bother me if a celeb dies. i will talk abotu it with my friends a bit but thats about it. unless its one i liked a lot because they did a ton of great stuff that i ws into but most of the time im like well thats too bad
dUSt Posted June 25, 2009 Posted June 25, 2009 Well, Michael Jackson was not like the celebrities now days. Now, celebrities Twitter, and are on TMZ, and have their own reality shows, etc, etc. Michael Jackson was a real true celebrity back when being a celebrity was a really big deal. Maybe I'm old--so anybody under the age of say, maybe 25, might not get how huge Michael Jackson truly was. I grew up with the red leather jacket. I had the silver glove. I practiced his dance moves in my bedroom. I've known him my whole life, so yeah... this isn't like just another celebrity death. This was MICHAEL JACKSON. Sad, very very sad. I won't miss his weird years, but I'll definitely miss the Michael Jackson I grew up with.
mariahLVzJP2 Posted June 25, 2009 Posted June 25, 2009 (edited) [quote name='dUSt' post='1901534' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:26 PM']Well, Michael Jackson was not like the celebrities now days. Now, celebrities Twitter, and are on TMZ, and have their own reality shows, etc, etc. Michael Jackson was a real true celebrity back when being a celebrity was a really big deal. Maybe I'm old--so anybody under the age of say, maybe 25, might not get how huge Michael Jackson truly was. I grew up with the red leather jacket. I had the silver glove. I practiced his dance moves in my bedroom. I've known him my whole life, so yeah... this isn't like just another celebrity death. This was MICHAEL JACKSON. Sad, very very sad. I won't miss his weird years, but I'll definitely miss the Michael Jackson I grew up with.[/quote] Dito. I grew up in the Thriller days... awesome stuff. Prayers for his soul and for Farrah Fawcett. Edited June 25, 2009 by mariahLVzJP2
mariahLVzJP2 Posted June 25, 2009 Posted June 25, 2009 [quote name='heavenseeker' post='1901536' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:33 PM']wait what happened to Farrah Fawcett?[/quote] She died this morning of cancer.
Moosey Posted June 25, 2009 Posted June 25, 2009 [quote name='Brother Adam' post='1901522' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:12 PM']I guess I'm just not moved by celebrity deaths. I share no emotional connection to them. Certainly I can pray for their souls, but I'm not bothered by it. 50 is very young to die.[/quote] Ayuh. My mom is 50....scary. [quote name='mariahLVzJP2' post='1901537' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:36 PM']She died this morning of cancer.[/quote] Yes, God rest her soul
Hassan Posted June 25, 2009 Posted June 25, 2009 [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1901504' date='Jun 25 2009, 05:49 PM']Yeah... weird.... what a week. The last time I remember a "two-fer" was on the day HSson minor was born-- John Ritter and Johnny Cash... Though I think they were actually a day apart (but I was still in the hospital the whole time)... and oddly, we named him John.[/quote] Didn't CS Lewis, JFK, and A Huxely all die withing hours of each other?
Marie-Therese Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 I tried to explain to my daughter who he was. Thriller was a major influence on my early life. We all grew up listening to his records. To me, Billie Jean was a seminal musical event. My elementary school showed us "The Making of Thriller" on tape at school as an assembly. During his later years, certainly his bizarre behavior and allegations of impropriety with children obscured his music. I don't much like his later music, but the Thriller record is one of my favorites. As a person in my 30s, he was to my generation like Elvis was to my mother's. I spent a lot of time in my childhood in front of MTV, watching Billie Jean. I pray that his soul finds the peace he longed for in the arms of the Father.
homeschoolmom Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 [quote name='Brother Adam' post='1901522' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:12 PM']I guess I'm just not moved by celebrity deaths. I share no emotional connection to them. Certainly I can pray for their souls, but I'm not bothered by it. 50 is very young to die.[/quote] I think the reason that we "mourn" celebrity deaths is that we are reminded of our own mortality. Sort of "well, gee... Farrah, Ed and Michael were all present in my youth and now they are gone..." And for me and people in my age bracket, Farrah and Michael were ever-present. Even Ed was if you were allowed to stay up late enough to watch (Or you liked Star Search or Bloopers... ) I think we are someone comforted by the sameness of some people being with us and are "sad" when they are gone. [quote name='Hassan' post='1901541' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:54 PM']Didn't CS Lewis, JFK, and A Huxely all die withing hours of each other?[/quote] I don't know about Huxely, but yes to the other two.
RemnantRules Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 he's probably the last great pop star (and all of music for that matter) that will have that big of an impact. He tranceded decades and produced music that will last forever, and all others will imulate. The only other person I can think of that is still living that would be bigger right off the top of my head is Paul from the Beatles. May he and all those that died this day rest in Christ's peace.
Azriel Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 [quote name='dUSt' post='1901534' date='Jun 25 2009, 07:26 PM']Well, Michael Jackson was not like the celebrities now days. Now, celebrities Twitter, and are on TMZ, and have their own reality shows, etc, etc. Michael Jackson was a real true celebrity back when being a celebrity was a really big deal. Maybe I'm old--so anybody under the age of say, maybe 25, might not get how huge Michael Jackson truly was. I grew up with the red leather jacket. I had the silver glove. I practiced his dance moves in my bedroom. I've known him my whole life, so yeah... this isn't like just another celebrity death. This was MICHAEL JACKSON. Sad, very very sad. I won't miss his weird years, but I'll definitely miss the Michael Jackson I grew up with.[/quote] Exactly. I remembered staying up until Midnight just to watch Thriller debut on MTV. My friends and I orchestrated complex dances to go along with his songs, and your jackets weren't complete without his buttons lining them. He was an Icon of my youth, and those are the memories that I will hold dear. Rest in Peace.
dominicansoul Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 [url="http://www.imeem.com/michaeljackson/playlist/1hhaHRmQ/michael-jackson-music-playlist-music-playlist/"]http://www.imeem.com/michaeljackson/playli...music-playlist/[/url] (you have to be a member of imeem...) this playlist is sweet!!!
Recommended Posts