Nihil Obstat Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1901804' date='Jun 26 2009, 12:07 AM']I wouldn't be surprised if it was something accidental. He was not in very good health and had a lot of prescriptions, including painkillers. Some reports were that something happened after he took a dosage of a very strong one. I tend to rule out suicide because he had been in good spirits by all accounts and had just been preparing for a big set of shows over here in the U.K. I guess we'll have to wait and see but I'm guessing it wasn't deliberate. If not heart disease, something accidental.[/quote] I just wonder because clearly he had a trying life. I mean look at....... who was it? Owen Wilson. I mean, as far as the public knew he was a pretty happy, successful guy. Obviously there's a lot of stuff we don't hear about. being attacked for so many years the way MJ was, I at least wouldn't rule it out right way. Accidental overdose type thing also makes sense.
Donna Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 [i]Word[/i] (dUSt and C-Mom) ...this was a [b]great[/b] singer - I'm talking about as a young child, no one could touch him. I was going to post a live video of the Jackson 5 where Michael in particular makes the dancing and singing look so easy. But the title of the track, I JUST realized, and I've been loving this song since 1972, might add fuel for certain comments. Which sentiments I've no right to judge, esp. if any of the posters have suffered abuse. If you're in a bad spot, I do think you need to say it. I don't want to hear it, because I respect the music and am dismayed by someone dying who taught me music, and the obvious turmoil of that soul - but I understand cause if it were a different person who died, I may say the same. What I will post (no, I cannot yet pray it): [b]Prayer of Forgiveness and Reparation[/b] [b][authored by a priest][/b] [url="http://vultus.stblogs.org/2009/06/with-the-charity-of-your-pierc.html"]Vultus Christi Website[/url] [b]Lord Jesus Christ, Who revealed the infinite mercy of Your Sacred Heart[/b] in saying: "Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you" (Mt 5:44) and again, "Bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you" (Lk 6:28), [b]give me, I beseech You, grace to obey these commandments of yours,[/b] and to persevere in praying daily for those who, in any way, have abused, cursed, hurt, or rejected me. [b]I pray for those who hate me, for those who resent me and for those who have spoken ill of me. I beg you to bless them abundantly and to pour into their hearts such a profusion of healing mercies that in them and around them love will triumph over hatred,[/b] friendship over resentment, sweetness over bitterness, meekness over anger, and peace over enmity. I further ask you to extend these graces to their families and to all whom they hold dear. [b]In particular, I pray today for N. (and N.). I present him/her/them to Your Eucharistic Face,[/b] asking You to envelop him/her/them in Its healing radiance, dispelling whatever shadows of sin may have darkened his/her/their mind(s) or hardened his/her their heart(s) in anger, hatred, or the refusal to forgive. [b]For my part,[/b] with deep sorrow I confess that I have sinned grievously against others, causing them pain and even endangering their souls. I pray you, O Merciful Jesus, to repair the evil I have done to others and to heal the hurt I have inflicted on them. In particular, I acknowledge my sins against N. (and N.) imploring You to heal and repair the harm I have done him/her/them. [b]I ask you so to penetrate my heart with the charity of Your Pierced Heart[/b] that I will be able to forgive those who have offended me, to love them sincerely, and to desire for them all that will contribute to their true happiness in this life and in the next. [b]By means of a permanent intention, I desire to renew this prayer in every offering of Your Holy Sacrifice.[/b] Let the light of Your Eucharistic Face shine in the hearts of all who harbour hatred or resentment toward me, to bring them healing and peace. Let Your Precious Blood triumph over evil in those against whom I have sinned and in those who have sinned against me, so that, delivered from the shadows of this valley of tears, we may one day praise Your Mercy together in the sweetness of a boundless charity. Amen. [color="#2F4F4F"][i](Eternal rest grant unto Farah Fawcett and Michael Jackson, O Lord! And let perpetual light shine upon them! From the gates of hell, deliver their souls, O Lord May they rest in peace, Amen)[/i][/color]
Hassan Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 I don't know much about him or his music. He always struck me as a troubled man. The little bit of his music I heard I liked. I guess I'm sad that he didn't seem to ever find peace with himself or his difficult past before passing. I know he was a strange man, I don't know he was a pedophile, and neither does anyone here. Most of what I know about him comes Ryan White's autobiography I read back in Middle School. He (MJ) seems to have been one of the few individuals to treat him like a human being and not a virus infected freak.
ReinnieR Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 i know i'm not as big a fan as Darvon but He is/was the greatest entertainer that ever lived. the King of pop Michael Jackson. i am balling like a little girl, all the radio stations are playing his music. it is a sad sad day.
homeschoolmom Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1901765' date='Jun 26 2009, 12:49 AM']Does anyone else wonder if it could have been suicide?[/quote] [quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1901804' date='Jun 26 2009, 01:07 AM']I wouldn't be surprised if it was something accidental. He was not in very good health and had a lot of prescriptions, including painkillers. Some reports were that something happened after he took a dosage of a very strong one. I tend to rule out suicide because he had been in good spirits by all accounts and had just been preparing for a big set of shows over here in the U.K. I guess we'll have to wait and see but I'm guessing it wasn't deliberate. If not heart disease, something accidental.[/quote] Has the thought that it was a hoax to go underground and have a potentially normal life (ala Elvis consiracy) crossed anyone else's mind? I realize it's not, but I could see how it would be tempting to try to pull something like that off...
Ash Wednesday Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 (edited) [quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1902009' date='Jun 26 2009, 07:54 AM'] Has the thought that it was a hoax to go underground and have a potentially normal life (ala Elvis consiracy) crossed anyone else's mind? I realize it's not, but I could see how it would be tempting to try to pull something like that off...[/quote] I listen to a radio show called Coast to Coast AM and they had a special on at the last minute to talk about MJ. The show often discusses things like mysteries, the paranormal, or conspiracy theories and they were saying people are reacting to MJ's death the same way they did Elvis. They just can't believe he'd be dead and ask about things like faking death. The only thing to me is that it would be impossible to somehow come out of hiding, lead a normal life, and be able to not be recognized when you're, um, Michael Jackson. I don't think he ever knew what a normal life was to begin with, so he wouldn't have known how to live it and cope with it. The man was very frail and in poor health in recent years, so it's shocking.....but in other respects I actually wasn't surprised. I am beginning to think stardom and fame of that magnitude and all the pressure that comes with it can flat out kill a person. It could be noted that this happened to Elvis when he was on tour, and Michael right as he was about to go on tour. Edited June 26, 2009 by Ash Wednesday
piano_freak184 Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 (edited) i was waiting for a song by him and the beastie boys to come out. Edited June 26, 2009 by piano_freak184
Lil Red Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 [quote name='Excelsior1027' post='1901714' date='Jun 25 2009, 09:47 PM']C'mon, folks, he was a troubled soul. He grew up in a "fishbowl" life, he was a product of his own fame and the way the media treated him. He didn't have a real childhood; no wonder he was odd. Sure, he did some stupid things, such as the sleeping with boys in bed (though, as Specter already said, he was not convicted of child abuse), but he was still a human being that God loved as much as you or me. To not have any remorse for the death of any person seems kind of cold to me. I don't care who it is.[/quote] +J.M.J.+ is it sad? yeah, but honestly i'm not gonna cry about it.
Lil Red Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 [quote name='ReinnieR' post='1901914' date='Jun 26 2009, 12:53 AM']i am balling like a little girl, all the radio stations are playing his music. it is a sad sad day.[/quote] +J.M.J.+ i truly mean no offense but i just don't get that
Azriel Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 Death affects people in different ways. For some of us whose formative years were so permeated with MJ's music, its not just that the world lost an entertainer, is almost as if a part of our youth died along with him. Its a stark reminder of your own mortality. Even if are eyes should always be on heaven, I don't think there is a one of us out there that hasn't had a fear of death at some point. MJ changed the musical landscape of a generation. Despite all the accusations and oddness, that is just something that can't be taken away from him.
CatherineM Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 My first thought when hearing this is that it was going to be and Elvis-like death (and no not a fake one). When you start mixing meds, or taking big quantities, it is easy to make a mistake because you are too drugged to remember what you have taken. I remember reading a story about Elizabeth Taylor that she used to put so many pills on her nightstand, so that she would know if she had taken them all or not if she woke up. I've also had kids that were not my own sleep in my bed. I had practically a whole boy scout troop once during a bad storm. Me six wet scared boys and a 60 pound hound. I didn't get much sleep that night. Saturday mornings curling up watching cartoons together in bed with my foster sons is something I'll always treasure. He probably had a much bigger bed than I did too. He was only 3 years older than me, and I remember many times as a teenager wondering how he endured the pressure, and the control for money his father had over him.
Adrestia Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 I have always loved Michael Jackson's music. [b]Man in the Mirror[/b] will always be one of my favorite songs. I never get tired of hearing it. It's one of only a small handful of songs that can [i]move[/i] me no matter what mood I am in. [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLXYiF_BdAs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLXYiF_BdAs[/url] I’m gonna make a change for once in my life. It’s gonna feel real good, gonna make a difference, gonna make it right . . . As I, turn up the collar on my favorite winter coat this wind is blowin’ my mind. I see the kids in the street with not enough to eat. Who am I, to be blind pretending not to see their needs? A summer’s disregard, a broken bottle top, and a one man’s soul. They follow each other on the wind ya’ know... ’cause they got nowhere to go. That’s why I want you to know I’m starting with the man in the mirror. I’m asking him to change his ways And no message could have been any clearer: [b]If you wanna make the world a better place Take a look at yourself, and then make a change[/b] I’ve been a victim of a selfish kind of love. It’s time that I realize that there are some with no home, not a nickel to loan. Could it be really me pretending that they’re not alone? A willow deeply scarred, somebody’s broken heart, and a washed-out dream. They follow the pattern of the wind, ya’ see... 'cause they got no place to be. That’s why I’m starting with me I’m starting with the man in the mirror. I’m asking him to change his ways And no message could have been any clearer: If you wanna make the world a better place Take a look at yourself, and then make a change I’m starting with the man in the mirror. I’m asking him to change his ways And no message could have been any clearer: If you wanna make the world a better place Take a look at yourself, and then make that... change! You gotta get it right, while you got the time ’cause when you close your heart then you close your . . . mind! Gonna feel real good now! I’m gonna make a change. It’s gonna feel real good! Just lift yourself! You know you’ve got to stop it yourself! I’ve got to make that change, (Man in the mirror) You got to not let yourself . . . Brother . . . You know-I’ve got to get that man, that man . . . (man in the mirror) You’ve got to... you’ve got to move! come on! come on! You got to . . . Stand up! Stand up! Stand up! (yeah-make that change) Stand up and lift yourself, now! (man in the mirror) Gonna make that change . . . come on! (man in the mirror) You know it! You know it! You know it! You know . . . Make that change.
Moosey Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 I just want everyone to know that my previous comment wasn't meant to be a personal attack. I guess I live in a cave and didn't know that his molestation of little boys wasn't confirmed. My point was to say he needs prayers. Probably more than most. I've always felt bad for Michael Jackson for the way his father treated him and all he's been through. His life wasn't the greatest. He deserved so much better. He's been wicked talented from day one. I think he's the only child prodigy that was still extremely famous as an adult. God rest his soul
cmotherofpirl Posted June 26, 2009 Author Posted June 26, 2009 [quote name='Excelsior1027' post='1901714' date='Jun 26 2009, 12:47 AM']To not have any remorse for the death of any person seems kind of cold to me. I don't care who it is.[/quote] People die daily, nobody is getting out of here any other way. Are we to have remorse over every single death of an person unrelated to us? A pop singer has died, but the world isn't over. Yes Thriller was a marvelous album in 1982, and he made several more, and he holds the record as the outstanding record seller. I don't get that people are actually crying over his death: I think they are crying over some emotional connection to a man they didn't even know, and the tears are for some imagined personal loss that doesn't exist. I think there are far more important things in this world to cry over than some celebrity death. And there is a big difference between sleeping with kids when there is a storm, or your foster kids cuddle up to you, than sleeping with unrelated little boys because you enjoy it. Using children for your own desires is wrong, and doesn't change just because you are famous.
Ash Wednesday Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 Azriel's right, people react to it in different ways. I was very sad, my family and I grew up with Michael Jackson and I was, for better or worse, part of the MTV generation. Call me "corrupt" -- it's just what I grew up around. I play "Thriller" every Halloween. I am not as upset as other people are. But I really don't hold it against them if they are. I don't think I'm somehow above them. What allegations he had against him were never proven in the court of law and cannot be verified as fact. That is between him and God now. However what he contributed to music and as a philanthropist is widely known, and that is why he means a lot to a lot of people. All I can say (this I mean as an address to people in general) is show a little charity and sensitivity about what you say and question what is to be gained from what you write. Overall, Cappie's quote is just a good thing to think about in general.
cmotherofpirl Posted June 26, 2009 Author Posted June 26, 2009 [quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1902128' date='Jun 26 2009, 12:19 PM']Azriel's right, people react to it in different ways. I was very sad, my family and I grew up with Michael Jackson and I was, for better or worse, part of the MTV generation. Call me "corrupt" -- it's just what I grew up around. I play "Thriller" every Halloween. I am not as upset as other people are. But I really don't hold it against them if they are. I don't think I'm somehow above them. What allegations he had against him were never proven in the court of law and cannot be verified as fact. That is between him and God now. However what he contributed to music and as a philanthropist is widely known, and that is why he means a lot to a lot of people. All I can say (this I mean as an address to people in general) is show a little charity and sensitivity about what you say and question what is to be gained from what you write. Overall, Cappie's quote is just a good thing to think about in general.[/quote] The only sad part for me is there will be no more new music, he was good at reinventing himself.
Ash Wednesday Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1902130' date='Jun 26 2009, 11:22 AM']The only sad part for me is there will be no more new music, he was good at reinventing himself.[/quote] And that's ok. Last night my husband told me to go on CNN's website, it was just before the news broke. And then it darn near broke the internets.
strgzr99 Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 [quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1902130' date='Jun 26 2009, 10:22 AM']The only sad part for me is there will be no more new music, he was good at reinventing himself.[/quote] It would have been nice to see if he could have. But there was a lot of doubt about his being able to perform at the 50 (sold out!)concerts in London. The date for the first one had already been put back. I think that, sad to say, he may have made a timely exit. And it may not have been suicide. The full story about his life will probably come out now that he's gone, if it ever does.
Lil Red Posted June 26, 2009 Posted June 26, 2009 +J.M.J.+ what makes me extremely sad is the fight that will be had over his children. because let's face it, until they are old enough, their father's estate will be held in trust for them. and whomever has the children controls the trust. the only person i can foresee having the children's best interests at heart (not the money!) is MJ's grandmother, whom i guess was the only stable force in his life and his children's lives.
Recommended Posts