An Old School Catholic Message Board

Michael Jackson Memorial

Seven77

[quote name='prose' post='1913680' date='Jul 7 2009, 01:23 PM']I am watching it.

Truly a legend has died.

RIP.

I was surprised to hear that he was in the Guiness World Book of records for being the music star who supported the most charities.[/quote]

Yeah... i didn't know that about him.

[quote]So sad that this man was crushed in this life so much.[/quote]

It truly is sad...I pray for him. The suffering human being and poor soul. Many of his songs were positive and sincere.

O God if they really knew You in this life!

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1913690' date='Jul 7 2009, 01:38 PM']I think Rev. Sharpton is a fake, I never see him at church. :lol:[/quote]

true... lol.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1913706' date='Jul 7 2009, 01:25 PM']It was hard to watch his brother sing[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
if you mean hard on the ears, then yes, i agree.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1913715' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:53 PM']+J.M.J.+
if you mean hard on the ears, then yes, i agree.[/quote]

his bro has a good voice i thought to myself. why so negative? i thought you weren't watching.

criticize stuff that needs criticism like Smokey Robinson's earrings or Al Sharpton's demeanor :)

[quote name='Seven77' post='1913722' date='Jul 7 2009, 02:17 PM']his bro has a good voice i thought to myself. why so negative? i thought you weren't watching.

criticize stuff that needs criticism like Smokey Robinson's earrings or Al Sharpton's demeanor :)[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
i wasn't watching. i walked by a tv that had it on and heard his brother 'singing'. i thought he sounded awkward and he looked uncomfortable. you could tell he didn't know the lyrics too well (can't remember what song it was?) and was reading from a prompter.

i will agree that Sharpton is a huckster.

Marie-Therese

I did watch most of it. His beautiful little daughter broke my heart. No matter how peculiar he might have been, he was by all accounts a devoted and tender father, and now three children are fatherless. May God comfort them in their time of mourning.

[quote name='Dan' post='1913631' date='Jul 7 2009, 02:30 PM']I agree with the congressman from New York....[/quote]

:yawn:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1913614' date='Jul 7 2009, 02:22 PM']+J.M.J.+
why would i want to watch? <_< do you think that once he's buried we could actually move on to real news?[/quote]
No. They will spend days rehashing the same tired croutons ad nauseum. The scavengers and vultures will linger until they wring every possible drop of money from the story. As soon as the profits dip they will be on to something else...but not soon enough for me... the guy is dead, get over it all ready!

CatherineM

When Sharpton started saying that Michael was responsible for Obama being able to be elected, I wondered what Obama would think about it.

[quote name='Marie-Therese' post='1913730' date='Jul 7 2009, 05:31 PM']I did watch most of it. His beautiful little daughter broke my heart. No matter how peculiar he might have been, he was by all accounts a devoted and tender father, and now three children are fatherless. May God comfort them in their time of mourning.[/quote]

:sadder: He loved his children. Bless their hearts, and may Michael rest in peace. God help them. :weep:

Noel's angel

Some people just love to be negative.

I thought parts were OTT but you could see that there were so many people there who were truly sad, and not just jumping on the bandwagson.

kamiller42

First, I am happy I do not watch TV. (I watch a few shows on the internet, but that's it.) It sounds like the networks have been burning people out on Michael Jackson. I am glad I did not have to suffer that fatigue going into this memorial. It made the event that much better.

Second, the memorial minus the few political comments and figures was really well done. I was surprised by the what the AP called "spiritual turn" of the memorial. It was truly a memorial and not a tribute concert. It's usually in times of tragedy some who would not utter God or Jesus' name pull out their faith cards. I hope the event caused some to pause and change their ways toward the good. (Janet, you are one that I am looking at.) Again, I thought the tone of the memorial was right. I can't prove it, but I am guessing Michael's mother had a role in that.

Third, Jermaine has a great voice. He almost sounded like Michael. Was the performance perfect? No, but again, this was a memorial. He wasn't shooting for a Grammy for best live performance. It was still better that what many artists can do. It was very well done.

Fourth, I cannot help but notice the admiration of Michael in spite of his checkered past. He was investigated twice on charges of pedophilia. The public seems very forgiving of celebrities who have gotten into situations where they shouldn't be. This stands in contrast to the media and public's response to priests accused of similar charges. Guilty or not, many were crucified. Priests still get the stink eye from many today even if they have never been accused.

Edited by kamiller42

I wish that it did not have to be such a public spectacle. He was a truly great performer but an intensely private man.

I cried. Yes, I admit it. When Paris broke down after talking about her daddy, I could feel my heart rip in two. I don't think people realize just how much he cared for his children. He would die for them. He loved them more than anything on earth. That's why this is so heartbreaking to me. :sadder:

You know, I understand y'all are getting sick of hearing about him. I know there's more news to be told. But for now, let's pay our respects and pray for Michael, his friends, his family, and most of all, his children. Because while we have lost a talented musician, they have lost family, and they need our prayers and the love of God.