An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Do The Mods Hate The Lame Board?

rachael

homeschoolmom

Why? Because we get more reports of uncharitable behavior on this board than all the other boards combined. And the regulars here expect to be moderated differently in the LB than elsewhere. And with a half-dozen mods, each with his/her own opinion of what constitutes unkindness and what's just playful joking, it gets to be a lot of work. AND on top of that, posters start threads/polls that open themselves up for unkind comments just makes things worse. So, um, yeah... not my favorite board to moderate.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1915832' date='Jul 9 2009, 03:08 PM']Why? Because we get more reports of uncharitable behavior on this board than all the other boards combined. And the regulars here expect to be moderated differently in the LB than elsewhere. And with a half-dozen mods, each with his/her own opinion of what constitutes unkindness and what's just playful joking, it gets to be a lot of work. AND on top of that, posters start threads/polls that open themselves up for unkind comments just makes things worse. So, um, yeah... not my favorite board to moderate.[/quote]

You tell em! Make em walk the plank!

Thanks to this thread and the bakers thread I now feel like baking pie, cookies, and bread.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1915857' date='Jul 9 2009, 03:19 PM']Thanks to this thread and the bakers thread I now feel like baking pie, cookies, and bread.[/quote]

I could go for a nice apple pie. :drool:

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1915832' date='Jul 9 2009, 03:08 PM']Why? Because we get more reports of uncharitable behavior on this board than all the other boards combined. And the regulars here expect to be moderated differently in the LB than elsewhere. And with a half-dozen mods, each with his/her own opinion of what constitutes unkindness and what's just playful joking, it gets to be a lot of work. AND on top of that, posters start threads/polls that open themselves up for unkind comments just makes things worse. So, um, yeah... not my favorite board to moderate.[/quote]

Pretty much. :yes: I post back here and enjoy it, but even so it's not easy to moderate this part of the phorum.

franciscanheart

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1915857' date='Jul 9 2009, 01:19 PM']Thanks to this thread and the bakers thread I now feel like baking pie, cookies, and bread.[/quote]
:annoyed: you're making me HUNGRY.

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1915777' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:51 PM']you have to admit, you make EXcellent cookies.

:yes:[/quote]
she knows. :unsure:

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1915832' date='Jul 9 2009, 01:08 PM']Why? Because we get more reports of uncharitable behavior on this board than all the other boards combined. And the regulars here expect to be moderated differently in the LB than elsewhere. And with a half-dozen mods, each with his/her own opinion of what constitutes unkindness and what's just playful joking, it gets to be a lot of work. AND on top of that, posters start threads/polls that open themselves up for unkind comments just makes things worse. So, um, yeah... not my favorite board to moderate.[/quote]
you know, a great portion of the stuff posted on here is sarcasm.

as as to the stuff posted on here needing to be moderated more than any other board combined...somehow i don't believe that. the debate table? i see SO much pointless and angry debating in there, it is ridiculous.

yes, people do report others often from here, but much of the time it is blown way out of proportion. if people would just learn not to take others so seriously (as this is what the board was intended for in the first place), then it would be a much better place. :sadwalk:

Nihil Obstat

I'll mail a brownie to any mod that emails me their address. :mellow:

Not really, but just pretend. Postal service would be angry with me.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='rachael' post='1915898' date='Jul 9 2009, 02:44 PM']she knows. :unsure:

you know, a great portion of the stuff posted on here is sarcasm.

as as to the stuff posted on here needing to be moderated more than any other board combined...somehow i don't believe that. the debate table? i see SO much pointless and angry debating in there, it is ridiculous.

yes, people do report others often from here, but much of the time it is blown way out of proportion. if people would just learn not to take others so seriously (as this is what the board was intended for in the first place), then it would be a much better place. :sadwalk:[/quote]

I am not disagreeing with you. The difference between LB reports and DB ones is that usually the DB ones are legit: they in some way violate the rules (usually personal attacks or Cath vs. Cath or whatever). And everyone knows that the debate table is going to be debating. People go in there knowing that there will be "arguing."

On the other hand, here it's a big free-for-all and the reports reflect it. It is harder for the casual observer to recognize what is malicious and what is merely two friends poking fun at each other-- and the reports reflect it. So, then we get complaints that Phatmass in general is mean. If we do edit etc., we get complaints of over-moderating. It's a very, very thin line. And not all the moderators agree on where that line is.

You asked why we don't like this board too much (hate IS a little strong)... this is why.

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1916068' date='Jul 9 2009, 04:29 PM']I am not disagreeing with you. The difference between LB reports and DB ones is that usually the DB ones are legit: they in some way violate the rules (usually personal attacks or Cath vs. Cath or whatever). And everyone knows that the debate table is going to be debating. People go in there knowing that there will be "arguing."

On the other hand, here it's a big free-for-all and the reports reflect it. It is harder for the casual observer to recognize what is malicious and what is merely two friends poking fun at each other-- and the reports reflect it. So, then we get complaints that Phatmass in general is mean. If we do edit etc., we get complaints of over-moderating. It's a very, very thin line. And not all the moderators agree on where that line is.

You asked why we don't like this board too much (hate IS a little strong)... this is why.[/quote]
hate isn't a little strong. in the context of the thread, it isn't. the is the lame board. :idontknow: