An Old School Catholic Message Board

Non-catholic Prime Minister Takes Communion

Resurrexi

[quote name='Kitty' post='1915164' date='Jul 8 2009, 11:51 PM']He probably didn't know that he should have refused it.[/quote]

I would say that the majority of those who live in countries, like Canada, where Catholicism plays a significant role in the culture know that only Catholics are supposed to receive Holy Communion at a Catholic Mass.

The priest seemed to catch him off-guard, but that does not mean the prime minister shouldn't have said, "Hey, Father, I'm not Catholic, so I'm not going to be receiving Communion," as the priest began to give him the Host.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Kitty' post='1915164' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:51 AM']He probably didn't know that he should have refused it.[/quote]
This.
Honestly, Res. It's not an ideal world. It'd be great if it were, but it isn't, unfortunately. Imagine that you were in an unfamiliar setting. If someone offered you something - and not just offered as in, "Would you care for this?", but actually thrust it in your direction, and the same thing was happening to others beside you, and you were at the front of a large crowd/line of people, and you did not know that you shouldn't take it (for whatever the reason may be), are you going to say, "Well, gee, do I take this? I'm not sure if I am supposed to or not..."?
The answer is probably no, especially if you didn't even think that you weren't supposed to have it.
I'm sure he didn't have any malicious intent, and it probably won't happen again. Heck, it might even serve to educate some who otherwise wouldn't know not to receive communion.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1915166' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:53 AM']So he made a snap judgement and it was the wrong one. Have you never done that?
Considering the lack of awareness there is even among Catholics, that's not all that surprising. I'll bet your average cradle Catholic doesn't have a clear understanding that a non-Catholic can under no circumstances recieve the Eucharist.[/quote]
Right, which is probably why they print a small explanation about the requirements for receiving communion in the front or back of most hymnals/songbooks/missals.

Nihil Obstat

Also, look at the political ramifications of this.

A politician is supposed to make everybody happy. Not really, of course, but that's how they get elected. It's most likely ingrained in them to never refuse anybody anything, in case they offend them. In a manner of speaking, it's like the priest offered him a gift, and his politician's nature made him more inclined to accept this 'gift' than to turn it down. From his point of view, if he didn't know which was correct, that would seem like the more respectful choice.

It would be a good idea for an announcement to be made before Communion at weddings and funerals (especially large ones like this funeral) that only Catholics in the state of grace may receive Communion.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1915170' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:56 AM']I would say that the majority of those who live in countries, like Canada, where Catholicism plays a significant role in the culture know that only Catholics are supposed to receive Holy Communion at a Catholic Mass.[/quote]

Then, you are the spokesperson for Canada?

This whole argument is silly.

[quote name='Kitty' post='1915189' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:04 AM']Then, you are the spokesperson for Canada?[/quote]

It is pretty well-established that Catholicism has played an important role in Canadian history.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1915188' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:04 AM']It would be a good idea for an announcement to be made before Communion at weddings and funerals (especially large ones like this funeral) that only Catholics in the state of grace may receive Communion.[/quote]
Yes it would. It would be a good idea to do it before every mass, in fact. In case someone was just visiting.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1915188' date='Jul 9 2009, 01:04 AM']It would be a good idea for an announcement to be made before Communion at weddings and funerals (especially large ones like this funeral) that only Catholics in the state of grace may receive Communion.[/quote]

Finally, a reasonable statement.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1915194' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:07 AM']Yes it would. It would be a good idea to do it before every mass, in fact. In case someone was just visiting.[/quote]

I agree.

princessgianna

At our Church we get little books and at the very beginning it reminds those who can and can not recieve communion. However a verbal announcment would be nice. :yes:

[quote name='Kitty' post='1915195' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:08 AM']Finally, a reasonable statement.[/quote]

:rolleyes:

Nihil Obstat

Oh dear Lord. I think we just resolved an issue. On the Internet!!

This is a momentous occasion. I propose that we immediately forgive all wrong doers ( ;) ) and have a celebration.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1915188' date='Jul 9 2009, 01:04 AM']It would be a good idea for an announcement to be made before Communion at weddings and funerals (especially large ones like this funeral) that only Catholics in the state of grace may receive Communion.[/quote]
Good call.
When I was at Christmass Mass at a more traditional parish I sometimes treat myself to in downtown Jacksonville, the priest made this announcement before the distribution of communion (the typical "we ask that only practicing Catholics receive communion" type thing). My non-Catholic parents were with me, and though neither was going to receive communion anyway, expressed their disapproval at his statement later, and went so far as to brand the entire parish as bad people because of this "inhospitable" statement. :rolleyes: In fact, they more or less barred me from going there any more because of it. That's another story though...
Long story short, anything to prevent sacrilege, especially if it's as easy as a polite request.

Nihil Obstat

That reminds me of a funny "Catholic nerd" story. My high school is/was a Catholic school... publically funded seperate system and all that jazz. Anyway, we'd have school wide masses now and again. Our principal would always make that kind of announcement, which is good with all these dumb teenagers around. Except she'd always say "Roman Catholic" instead of "Catholic". She didn't realize that we had Eastern Churches..... which is fine, because I didn't either until about four years ago, but I find it funny. :)

What is not so funny is the massive irreverence and outright abuse of the Eucharist I'd see if I looked too closely. Sickening.