An Old School Catholic Message Board

Non-catholic Prime Minister Takes Communion

Resurrexi

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1915233' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:28 AM']That reminds me of a funny "Catholic nerd" story. My high school is/was a Catholic school... publically funded seperate system and all that jazz. Anyway, we'd have school wide masses now and again. Our principal would always make that kind of announcement, which is good with all these dumb teenagers around. Except she'd always say "Roman Catholic" instead of "Catholic". She didn't realize that we had Eastern Churches..... which is fine, because I didn't either until about four years ago, but I find it funny. :)[/quote]

The term Roman Catholic Church usually can and usually does refer to the universal Church and all the particular Churches in her. For example, Vatican I says "The holy, Catholic, Apostolic, Roman Church believes and confesses [. . .]" (First Ecumenical Vatican Council,[i] Dei Filius[/i]: Denzinger-Schonmetzer 3001)

If I wanted to refer to Catholics of the Latin Church to the exclusion of Eastern Catholics, I would say "Latin Catholic."

:)

Nihil Obstat

Well in lay person's terms it wasn't as correct as just saying "Catholic" would be. :)

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1915252' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:40 AM']Well in lay person's terms it wasn't as correct as just saying "Catholic" would be. :)[/quote]

Many people (like your principal) say "Roman Catholic" when referring to any Catholic, regardless of their rite.

I don't think any Eastern Catholics would be confused if someone stated that only Roman Catholics may receive Communion. :)

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1915256' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:42 AM']Many people (like your principal) say "Roman Catholic" when referring to any Catholic, regardless of their rite.

I don't think any Eastern Catholics would be confused if someone stated that only Roman Catholics may receive Communion. :)[/quote]
Probably. Luckily I don't think there were any Eastern Catholics in our school. One or two Orthodox.

CatherineM

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1915192' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:06 AM']It is pretty well-established that Catholicism has played an important role in Canadian history.[/quote]

Will you come take my Canadian citizenship test this fall? I'm having trouble studying for the history part. Can you pass for a middle-aged crippled woman?