An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Do When You've Lost Faith?

WisdomSeeker

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1923695' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:31 AM']What do you do when you have lost faith?[/quote]

Was this a sincere question?

WisdomSeeker

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1926451' date='Jul 21 2009, 03:41 PM']Was this a sincere question?[/quote]

Yes, why do you ask?

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1926474' date='Jul 21 2009, 11:29 AM']Yes, why do you ask?[/quote]

You came asking for advice, but next thing we know you've decided to take off on your "new" path without giving an ear to our input on the matter. I'm left with the impresion that this was a forgone conclusion that you're informing us about under the guise of a question. Have you stopped to think about the role of feelings in faith? To talk with a pastor or someone you trust about spiritual struggles? Everyone who is honest identifies with the experience of losing faith at times. There are a lot of people and resources for you if you're genuinely interested.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

WisdomSeeker

I apologise if I have caused any confusion, that was not my intention. I have read all the answers to my op and have taken on board what has been said, I had not made my decision when I posted the question. I made my decision later and as I have stated I do not know where my path will lead me, maybe I will return to the church after a period of time away, I will wait and see.

I appriciate everyones input and help and I will happily read any further posts regarding my op.

tinytherese

Seriously though, seeking counsel from wise and knowledgable people can help. Remember that we are many parts that make up the Body of Christ and we do not stand alone. When one of the parts are in need we are called to help them.

WisdomSeeker

There is something going on that I can't explain and it is confusing me :blink: I am going to spend some time seriously thinking about the decsion I made and what I do now. I want to thank you all for your advice and words of wisdom they have been of great help to me during what has been and is a very confusing period in my life.

[color="#000080"]When I feel at zero -(which sure is not happening anymore) I first have to know and I do.. that I trust the teachings in the Bible -so I have key quotes I have written down to use to inspire me and get me back feeling happy and clear again with a smile on my face.

Let's see, may I?

[b]He will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on Him. [/b]Isaiah 26:3

So without focusing on your own emptiness or even sadness if your feeling that -or anger or just ANY personal feelings of your own ---if we focus on HIM trusting that what He said is indeed the Truth -bec God does NOT lie ---then - perfect peace has got to follow...and guess what, it does.

Then I always go to Psalm 139 - it is such a Love Poem to the Lord...by the end, when you imagine what David was experiencing to have written this ---your mood usually changes.

You know I was going to write more verses - but I don't think I will.

I want to say this, OK? We can not let our mind, the devil, our lower ego self ---whatever one feels comfortable calling that thing that takes us away from our Joy...get a foot hold. Period.

You will wake up any morning for the rest of your life "feeling" something -worried, depressed, fearful, low energy ---whatever --you must know that is the devil between your ears---you (we) MUST live our lives every minute as a Sentry ---We must put on the armor of protection to fight all the wiley ways of the devil ---your inherent nature is Joyful, happy, strong -you are a child of the most Holy Wonderful, Brilliant Loving Creator, Father, Friend ---The evil one has put a veil in front of you and you haven't mustered the strength to blow it away ---I say -get the strength or forget about being happy ever again ---Do you want that ---of course not ---so say NO to the devil and use those muscles in your face to make a smile ---(try it, you'll see)---

And go to your Bible and start reading the Promises of God. Jesus didn't suffer and die for you to be moping around unhappy or feeling "nothing" ---that is such an insult to what He did for us, you know what I mean?

You must have the faith that the Bible is true ---if you don't, all is lost. Go to it and read Ps 91
Rom 8:32 ---how about 1 John 5:14-15 for starters. Read 1 Cor 12-14 and learn about the Gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Please stop being self centered and "feeling" your lack of "feeling" ---buck up and be a Christian Warrior against the evil one whose only tricks are to work on your feeeeelings - -go out and do something for someone less fortunate than you ---if you don't know what to do ---go out today and smile at everyone you see ---go out with a bunch of $1 bills and tacks and tack them to all the bus benches in your town --get off your duff and do something Jesus would want you to do for the least of these.

Help someone whether you feeel it or not. ( I got worked up didn't I? LOL)

Sometimes the Holy Spirit has to kick us in the butt. He does me all the time - like a bucket of cold water in my face.

I love you and know you will be fine -pm me anytime, dear.

Bless you, Jon :)[/color]

Edited by Jon

WisdomSeeker

I'm not going to be around for a week, so I will use that time to come to a firm decision as to where I go from this point.

Thank you all again for all your help and advice :))

Edited by WisdomSeeker

WisdomSeeker

Just a quick update - I think I may know what is causing me so many problems, I just have to see if what I think is right and if it is I may be able to get it sorted.

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1923695' date='Jul 18 2009, 09:31 AM'][size=3]Firstly if this is in the wrong place then please feel free to move it.[/size]

What do you do when you have lost faith? I have not been to mass for a month and I do not feel the desire or need to go or even to walk inside a church, I just feel nothing. I am not inspired or moved by anything that the church offers or teaches and I just feel it is best to walk away from it all.[/quote]
i think if you really lost faith you wouldn't be asking. a better way to put it would be, when you've lost exitement or something like that. i think you still have faith.

WisdomSeeker

I have done some serious thinking over the past few days and I think I know what has happened. For a while I have been considering where my life goes from here and I have thinking about the religious life and I have realised that this scares me :unsure: . Within me there is a voice telling me that I don't want this, that I would have to give up so much etc and I feel as if I am running to get as far away from this possible vocation as I can.

I am still not ready yet to return to church, that I know will take time but I just don't know what to do about the above.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1932332' date='Jul 26 2009, 09:53 AM']I have done some serious thinking over the past few days and I think I know what has happened. For a while I have been considering where my life goes from here and I have thinking about the religious life and I have realised that this scares me :unsure: . Within me there is a voice telling me that I don't want this, that I would have to give up so much etc and I feel as if I am running to get as far away from this possible vocation as I can.

I am still not ready yet to return to church, that I know will take time but I just don't know what to do about the above.[/quote]
Is it the idea of giving up control of your life that scares you? Or are you speaking of the other sacrifices made? Sacrifices are made by all of us, in the religious life or not. I'm a wife and mother, and it was very hard for me to give up control and follow where God was leading (still a struggle to just trust Him at times), so I can understand on that level. I'll continue to pray for you, and please say a prayer for me if you get a chance.

WisdomSeeker

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1932389' date='Jul 26 2009, 04:41 PM']Is it the idea of giving up control of your life that scares you? Or are you speaking of the other sacrifices made? Sacrifices are made by all of us, in the religious life or not. I'm a wife and mother, and it was very hard for me to give up control and follow where God was leading (still a struggle to just trust Him at times), so I can understand on that level. I'll continue to pray for you, and please say a prayer for me if you get a chance.[/quote]

I think it could be giving up control of my life that is scaring me, also giving up those things that remind me of my parents (possesions etc). I just feel very confused at this moment in time, deep within me I feel that I do have a vocation to the religious life I'm just to scared to do anything about it :unsure:

I will gladly hold you in my poor prayers :)