An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Do When You've Lost Faith?

WisdomSeeker

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1945649' date='Aug 10 2009, 06:59 PM']WS, I know a little about what you are experiencing. For several years, I toyed with the idea of leaving the Catholic Church because I didn't understand all that was necessary to be a member of it.[/quote]

That's one thing... it's different when you're capable of leaving and re-entering the Church so frequently that you never miss Sunday Mass. If WS is reading this, I honestly believe you're seeking a spiritual solution to a non-spiritual issue. Maybe you're just manic depressive or something... no shame in it if you are. We all know people like this and if they allow themselves to be treated, they enjoy fulfilling lives. Avoiding the problem will be hell on earth. You shouldn't have to experience that.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

InHisLove726

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1946073' date='Aug 11 2009, 09:20 AM']That's one thing... it's different when you're capable of leaving and re-entering the Church so frequently that you never miss Sunday Mass. If WS is reading this, I honestly believe you're seeking a spiritual solution to a non-spiritual issue. Maybe you're just manic depressive or something... no shame in it if you are. We all know people like this and if they allow themselves to be treated, they enjoy fulfilling lives. Avoiding the problem will be hell on earth. You shouldn't have to experience that.[/quote]

I think it's unnecessary to assume that we know what she is going through. Even though I've been through a similar situation, I don't know what is going on her life or internally to make her want to leave the Church. How about we stop assuming things we don't know or saying she must be bipolar and just be open to discussion should she want it? Trying to bring someone back to the Church forcefully never works. As much as we want to understand why someone left Catholicism for paganism, everyone is different.

I will say this much. Leaving the Church is a difficult decision to make and not one to be entered into lightly. I love Mother Church, but I too have struggled with the faith because I didn't know enough and did not really care about it enough to read more. That all changed when I realized I'd never be at home anywhere else.

WisdomSeeker, you are my friend, and I care for you. We've had many talks here and on CAF. You've prayed for me when I needed it most. If you ever want to reach out, I'm here for you. I pray that you are safe. May God bless you and hold you in the palm of his hand.

WisdomSeeker

I have just visited because of a message I received and I have read the posts here. I know that what I have posted here previous has seemed very confusing but I can state now that I am completly happy and at peace with the path I have chosen. I have no interest in or desire to return to the church or be imbraced by it and I know that there is no possibilty in me EVER returning to the Catholic faith.

I send you all good wishes and I bid you farewell.

WS.

InHisLove726

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1946871' date='Aug 12 2009, 03:17 AM']I have just visited because of a message I received and I have read the posts here. I know that what I have posted here previous has seemed very confusing but I can state now that I am completly happy and at peace with the path I have chosen. I have no interest in or desire to return to the church or be imbraced by it and I know that there is no possibilty in me EVER returning to the Catholic faith.

I send you all good wishes and I bid you farewell.

WS.[/quote]

I know that sometimes it can seem like the present path we are on is the continual path. Never say never, my dear. You will be in my prayers continually, even if you don't want them. God be with you, WS.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1946614' date='Aug 11 2009, 11:49 PM']I think it's unnecessary to assume that we know what she is going through. Even though I've been through a similar situation, I don't know what is going on her life or internally to make her want to leave the Church. How about we stop assuming things we don't know or saying she must be bipolar and just be open to discussion should she want it? Trying to bring someone back to the Church forcefully never works. As much as we want to understand why someone left Catholicism for paganism, everyone is different.[/quote]

I can't diagnose her, if it's even a psychological issue she's dealing with. Only a professional could know that. Maybe it's something else... I highly doubt it's an intellectual or faith issue regarding Catholicism.

My concern is she's going to hurt people that she loves. That's why I bring it up. Maybe I'm a little too paranoid since a close friend of mine left his pregnant wife, gambled away everything they owned, and returned to a drug-and-sex-addicted lifestyle we all thought was behind him for good. He was raised Catholic and seemed headed back in that direction, but then, maybe nothing he ever said was believable. It simply isn't normal for one's beliefs to change every few days, and every time WS posts here, it's something different. Now she's not open to Catholicism at all... next week, who knows? But we have no reason to believe she's any more settled at this point than she was at the beginning of this thread. I see the same signs that I saw in my friend of other issues under the surface.

Edited by LouisvilleFan