An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Do When You've Lost Faith?

WisdomSeeker

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1923695' date='Jul 18 2009, 09:31 AM'][size=3]Firstly if this is in the wrong place then please feel free to move it.[/size]

What do you do when you have lost faith? I have not been to mass for a month and I do not feel the desire or need to go or even to walk inside a church, I just feel nothing. I am not inspired or moved by anything that the church offers or teaches and I just feel it is best to walk away from it all.[/quote]

Yeah. I remember when it just stopped making sense. Don't do anything hasty. I mean don't burn your baptismal certificate just yet. I'm happier not being religious but you may be happier as a Catholic.

LiL Kat Said

I will also be praying for you

I've experienced something similar, there was nothing in me, no hope, direction, fear, love. It lasted at least 2+ years and I'm still struggling but it's in this struggle that i've found hope and meaning in my life in the Church and my relationship with God.

I hope and pray that you too may heal and find your way out of this darkness

[color="#000080"]Wisdom Seeker,

Well, true to your name, I'm proud of you. :)

Good for you, Jesus didn't come here to start a religion ---you're personal, intimate relationship with God is what you're here for.

Blessings to you on your new adventure getting closer to God.

Remember what Jeremiah said - I mean God - "...know and understand Me."

I think I put it in my signature - - Jer 9:23

However you come to that - more power to ya.
PM me anytime.
:) Jon[/color]

You pray the prayer of St. Teresa of Avila...

Let nothing disturb thee,
Let nothing affright thee,
All things are passing,
God alone never changes.

There is more, but the part about "all things are passing" is very important! Yes, all things pass.

My first novice mistress used to say to ignore things like that - not give them too much attention. This could include doubts, a passing attraction, anger, anything!

I often return to her advice as it proved quite helpful.

tinytherese

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1942621' date='Aug 7 2009, 05:02 AM']As you know I have taken some time out and after doing some very serious thinking and talking to various people, I have made some decisions about where I go from here.

One of my decisions is that I will no longer be a practicing member of the Catholic church, I am quite at peace with this decision and I will now walk a different path. So because of this decision I will no longer be coming onto this forum, but before I leave I want to thank you all for your kindness, advice and ((hugs)) which I have very much appricated.

So once again, thank you all so much and farewell.[/quote]

So, what are you now- non-denominational, Protestant, Deist, agnostic, etc.?

And regardless of what your beliefs are now or what they may develope into you are still welcome to stick around Phatmass. Not everybody is Catholic on here.

WisdomSeeker

At the risk of being flamed, I now happily class myself as pagan. I have walked many paths and this is where I feel most at home, content and happy. So you see why I feel it best not to return to this forum after this post.

Again thank you all for your help and advice :)

Edited by WisdomSeeker

[color="#000080"]Hi Wisdom Seeker,

[b]THIS IS NOT A FLAME[/b] :) You may be addicted enough to actually come back for a few more peeks...

There is another forum I am on that had a large discussion on wiccans and pagans and Christianity, all very civil- - if you're curious - pm me and I'll send you the link. It's a nice active sight.

One of the things they talked about - respectfully --was how there are very innocent nice people saying they are pagan and are worshiping trees or nature --and just to be careful that God said - not to worship anyone but Him --that was all I wanted to say. You know, worshipping the creation and missing out on the Creator.

They also said there was alot of naivety about "the horned one" within the ranks of your everyday pagan.

I have 4 friends that are pagan -I love 'em.

Hope to hear from you.
Jon[/color]

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1944360' date='Aug 9 2009, 04:16 PM']The only flaming that's aloud on phatmass is the fire of the Holy Spirit.[/quote]

You're so cute.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Jon' post='1944663' date='Aug 9 2009, 07:29 PM']You're so cute.[/quote]
Mostly because of her avatar.

"You would like to attain faith, and do not know the way; you would like to cure yourself of unbelief, and ask the remedy for it. Learn of those who have been bound like you, and who now stake all their possessions. These are people who know the way which you would follow, and who are cured of an ill of which you would be cured. Follow the way by which they began; by acting as if they believed, bless yourself with holy water, have Masses said, and so on; by a simple and natural process this will make you believe, and will dull you—will quiet your proudly critical intellect" (Blaise Pascal, Pensées, 233)

LouisvilleFan

Going to get in touch with a convent for spiritual direction... six days later... a pagan...

Frankly, sounds like bipolar disorder or something that needs professional attention aside from her spirituality. I hope she finds whatever she needs... I've seen people ruin their lives and the lives of their so-called friends who were too proud to get help.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1945313' date='Aug 10 2009, 10:29 AM']Going to get in touch with a convent for spiritual direction... six days later... a pagan...[/quote]

Yea, I thought so too. No offense WS but that just was... unexpected. I mean first you want to hold onto the faith but have your doubts and don't want to go into a church, that you desire to take a break from your faith. Then you decide to leave the Church. Afterwards you decide to come back and say that you are a repentant Catholic and that you feel so much better not running from the Lord anymore and that this was really about running away from a possible vocation to the religious life. You go to visit a convent and then a few days later you say that you are at peace with being a pagan after much thought? I honestly mean no disrespect. It's just that that's a rollar coaster when it comes to your religious beliefs.

Be apart of the Church then leave the Church, repeate. I wonder if you really are at peace with your decison. It seems as if apart of you still keeps wanting to come back to the Church but that there are some things that you still struggle with. I know what it is like to go at it alone and I know how frustrating, lonely, and dangerous it can truly be. I've done some stuff in the past that I regret now and these things might have been avoided if I had help from trustworthy people. I still have issues in my life and I know that they will take time for me to resolve them, but I've been slowly opening up to people and I know that eventually things will get better. I know that it's hard but I know that personally while I'm going through all of my crosses that I don't want to make any rash decisions in the mean time before things are worked out between Our Lord and I.

Peace be with you. :blowkiss:

InHisLove726

WS, I know a little about what you are experiencing. For several years, I toyed with the idea of leaving the Catholic Church because I didn't understand all that was necessary to be a member of it. I thought about being a Hindu, Quaker, Baha'i, etc. I even looked at the Wiccan spirituality. I didn't know anything about those faiths, however, beyond the exterior. Once I decided to look more closely, I realized that I did not agree with their faith and spirituality. Especially with Wicca and Hinduism. The idea of several gods and goddesses did not sit well with me because I knew in my heart that it was wrong. There was only one God--three persons in one Trinity--the Father, Son and Spirit.

I also still believed that the Eucharist was an important part of the Christian faith. That's when my quest took me to the Christian denominations and I started looking at the Presbyterian and Anglican churches. Anglican/Episcopalian was also another that didn't sit well with me because of their women ordinations. I didn't agree with that at all. So, I was left with the Presbyterian Church of America or Orthodox Churches. I didn't go to either, however, because I was chicken in attending a new church without my family. Fortunately, for me, my mom did not go along with the idea of attending with me.

It was a retreat that forever changed my life. After talking to a Sister about my problems, I knew I belonged in the Catholic Church. It was the only place I felt safe and comfortable in. That weekend taught me so much about the faith that I did not know-about the saints, Liturgy of the Hours, etc. I am STILL learning! :) I made a Confession and came back to the Church during that weekend. I started attending Church on a regular basis and I know I am here to stay. ;)

I hope that whatever path you take leads you back to God, who loves you so much! I'm here for you, dear, if you ever want to have a chat. I won't be judgmental or condescending. I do believe, however, that you are searching for the truth, and the Truth is God. You'll be in my prayers! God bless you!

Edited by InHisLove726