An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Do You Do When You've Lost Faith?

WisdomSeeker

Archaeology cat

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1932418' date='Jul 26 2009, 04:56 PM']I think it could be giving up control of my life that is scaring me, also giving up those things that remind me of my parents (possesions etc). I just feel very confused at this moment in time, deep within me I feel that I do have a vocation to the religious life I'm just to scared to do anything about it :unsure:[/quote]
I can understand that, at least somewhat. I'd imagine that's fairly normal, too. :)

And thank you very much for the prayers - I can always use them. ;)

Edited by Archaeology cat

WisdomSeeker

[font="Arial Black"]I have a small convent near me, so I might try and make an appointment to see one of the sisters and have a chat with them about everything that has gone on and about my possible vocation :)[/font]

Archaeology cat

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1933088' date='Jul 27 2009, 05:40 PM'][font="Arial Black"]I have a small convent near me, so I might try and make an appointment to see one of the sisters and have a chat with them about everything that has gone on and about my possible vocation :)[/font][/quote]
Let us know how it goes. :)

WisdomSeeker

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1933090' date='Jul 27 2009, 06:42 PM']Let us know how it goes. :)[/quote]

[font="Arial Black"]No worries my friend, that I can do :D[/font]

Theologian in Training

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1923695' date='Jul 18 2009, 10:31 AM'][size=3]Firstly if this is in the wrong place then please feel free to move it.[/size]

What do you do when you have lost faith? I have not been to mass for a month and I do not [have]feel the desire or need to go or even to walk inside a church, I just [have]feel nothing. I am not inspired or moved by anything that the church offers or teaches and I just [have] to walk away from it all.[/quote]

Let's try something, replace "feel" with "have." When you do that it becomes evident that our experience with God is not a feeling and when He "leaves" it is because we have already left.

You are going through a tough time, you lost a parent, you have every right to be confused. However, that doesn't mean you have lost your faith, that just means you are in the center of what it is all about, "faith isn't faith until it is all we are holding on to." I once saw that on a poster somewhere and it is true, our faith becomes real when we fight to maintain it at all costs. The thing is, walking away is the easy way, it is throwing down our cross and turning our back on God when it counts the most.

You say you don't "feel" anything, aren't "inspired" by the Catholic Church and, yet, you have been given the Church's source of "inspiration" for over 2000 years, the thing that has created, formed and molded countless saints, the thing that those same saints sat at the foot of daily and were inspired by, the Cross.

The pain is very real, and you feel that, you just don't feel it, because you have removed it from your shoulders, taking the easy way out. But, here's the thing, you can run all you like, pretend His voice is not calling you, even try to turn your back on His Church and He, Himself, but, eventually, something has to happen, either you turn your back completely or give it a shot.

I can only say that because I tried the same thing and it backfired, until I, too, sat at the foot of a Cross, after my father's death, and in pain, tears and frustration heard His call. You can only run for so long, only "hide" until it gets too much.

While God is a source of inspiration, He is also a source of love, you don't need anything for that, only a childlike desire to go to Him and tell Him your pain and let Him embrace you in that love.

God bless

Fr. Brian

WisdomSeeker

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1933626' date='Jul 28 2009, 07:04 AM']Let's try something, replace "feel" with "have." When you do that it becomes evident that our experience with God is not a feeling and when He "leaves" it is because we have already left.

You are going through a tough time, you lost a parent, you have every right to be confused. However, that doesn't mean you have lost your faith, that just means you are in the center of what it is all about, "faith isn't faith until it is all we are holding on to." I once saw that on a poster somewhere and it is true, our faith becomes real when we fight to maintain it at all costs. The thing is, walking away is the easy way, it is throwing down our cross and turning our back on God when it counts the most.

You say you don't "feel" anything, aren't "inspired" by the Catholic Church and, yet, you have been given the Church's source of "inspiration" for over 2000 years, the thing that has created, formed and molded countless saints, the thing that those same saints sat at the foot of daily and were inspired by, the Cross.

The pain is very real, and you feel that, you just don't feel it, because you have removed it from your shoulders, taking the easy way out. But, here's the thing, you can run all you like, pretend His voice is not calling you, even try to turn your back on His Church and He, Himself, but, eventually, something has to happen, either you turn your back completely or give it a shot.

I can only say that because I tried the same thing and it backfired, until I, too, sat at the foot of a Cross, after my father's death, and in pain, tears and frustration heard His call. You can only run for so long, only "hide" until it gets too much.

While God is a source of inspiration, He is also a source of love, you don't need anything for that, only a childlike desire to go to Him and tell Him your pain and let Him embrace you in that love.

God bless

Fr. Brian[/quote]

Thank you so much for your words :) I have realised that I have been trying to run away from God and I now know that is not possible. I am just going to place myself at the foot of the cross and say 'Your will O Lord, not mine'.

Theologian in Training

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1933636' date='Jul 28 2009, 02:13 AM']Thank you so much for your words :) I have realised that I have been trying to run away from God and I now know that is not possible. I am just going to place myself at the foot of the cross and say 'Your will O Lord, not mine'.[/quote]

It's the best place to be in times like yours and, just remember, when you are there, you will meet His Mother, almost guaranteed :)

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1932332' date='Jul 26 2009, 05:53 AM']I have done some serious thinking over the past few days and I think I know what has happened. For a while I have been considering where my life goes from here and I have thinking about the religious life and I have realised that this scares me :unsure: . Within me there is a voice telling me that I don't want this, that I would have to give up so much etc and I feel as if I am running to get as far away from this possible vocation as I can.[/quote]

When we are following Christ, our souls, bodies, and minds are at peace. Take things a step at a time and let whatever God might have in store develop naturally as he prepares you for it. Getting in a flustered rush is for those who don't trust the Creator of time. ;)

Give "Finding God's Will for You" by St. Francis de Sales a read... it's very short and very practical and straight to the point. I've had a lot more peace about the marrage vs. priesthood question since reading it. I was often trying to force a conclusion... looking for signs around me to say "here's your calling," whether it was people telling me I should go to seminary or whatever. But all that can amount to clanging gongs when we aren't seeking God in prayer and seeking the peace only he can give us. There are infinite reasons to pursue a good vocation, but only one good reason.

WisdomSeeker

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1934685' date='Jul 29 2009, 03:23 PM']Give "Finding God's Will for You" by St. Francis de Sales a read... it's very short and very practical and straight to the point. I've had a lot more peace about the marrage vs. priesthood question since reading it. I was often trying to force a conclusion... looking for signs around me to say "here's your calling," whether it was people telling me I should go to seminary or whatever. But all that can amount to clanging gongs when we aren't seeking God in prayer and seeking the peace only he can give us. There are infinite reasons to pursue a good vocation, but only one good reason.[/quote]

Thank you for your help and the reading recommendation, I will see if I can get it through my local library.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='WisdomSeeker' post='1933792' date='Jul 28 2009, 05:35 PM']Now I've stopped running I feel so much better, I was afraid of 'letting go'.[/quote]

:grouphug:

I think I can safely say we've all been there.

I need to constantly remind myself that God is better at running my life than I am. :)

WisdomSeeker

I have been in contact with my local convent and I am waiting to get a reply back to see if I can go and see one of the sisters regarding spiritual direction.

WisdomSeeker

[font="Arial Black"][color="#FF0000"]I am not going to be around for a while as I am feeling very burnt out with all that has gone on and I just need a break from everything.

I want to thank you all for your prayers and words of advice, they have been of great help to me :)[/font][/color]

+J.M.J.+
i think this might help:
[url="http://www.conversiondiary.com/2009/07/9-tips-for-spiritual-dry-spells.html"]http://www.conversiondiary.com/2009/07/9-t...dry-spells.html[/url]

WisdomSeeker

As you know I have taken some time out and after doing some very serious thinking and talking to various people, I have made some decisions about where I go from here.

One of my decisions is that I will no longer be a practicing member of the Catholic church, I am quite at peace with this decision and I will now walk a different path. So because of this decision I will no longer be coming onto this forum, but before I leave I want to thank you all for your kindness, advice and ((hugs)) which I have very much appricated.

So once again, thank you all so much and farewell.