An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hookahs?

Deus te Amat

Deus te Amat

What do you think of hookahs? I just got invited to a hookah bar by some people I met on a retreat, and I really want to hang out with them, but I'm unsure about the hookah bar part... What do you think? :unsure: :idontknow:

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1936791' date='Jul 31 2009, 04:14 PM']What do you think of hookahs? I just got invited to a hookah bar by some people I met on a retreat, and I really want to hang out with them, but I'm unsure about the hookah bar part... What do you think? :unsure: :idontknow:[/quote]

I've never been to a Hookah bar. I have smoked one with friends.

Hookah is nice when you're doing it with few friends, you have some che et cetera.

Sometimes they play loud/fast music (at bars), which is out of place with Hookah, but other than that they are fine. Oh, some serve "drinks".

What were you worried about exactly?

[quote name='Varg' post='1936793' date='Jul 31 2009, 04:21 PM']Hookers?[/quote]

Good lord, you and resurrexi. <_<

Not hooker, hookah :topsy:

[img]http://hookah4u.com/hookah4u/pics/hookahs_2.jpg[/img]

Edited by Hassan

Deus te Amat

I guess I was looking for the Catholic perspective.

That, and smoke makes me nauseous in general... and that includes incense, so I'm not sure how I'd do at an actual smoking bar. But I really want to hang out with these people.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1936797' date='Jul 31 2009, 04:23 PM']Good lord, you and resurrexi. <_<

Not hooker, hookah :topsy:

[img]http://hookah4u.com/hookah4u/pics/hookahs_2.jpg[/img][/quote]Oh, bongs.

Edited by Varg

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' post='1936798' date='Jul 31 2009, 04:24 PM']I guess I was looking for the Catholic perspective.

That, and smoke makes me nauseous in general... and that includes incense, so I'm not sure how I'd do at an actual smoking bar. But I really want to hang out with these people.[/quote]

Yeah, I never liked incense or smoke either, but Hookah is water based, so it never bothered me personally.

One of the guys my good friend used to often smoke it with was Greek Orthodox if that helps :unsure:

Just don't laugh when you've inhaled :mellow:

[quote name='Varg' post='1936802' date='Jul 31 2009, 03:27 PM']Oh, bongs.[/quote]
no, not bongs. hookahs.

you typically put flavored tobacco in them.

i used to did it periodically. it doesn't smell like cigarette smoke, but it is still tobacco, and it's a bit lighter in the air.

Edited by rachael

[quote name='Varg' post='1936802' date='Jul 31 2009, 04:27 PM']Oh, bongs.[/quote]

I don't know enough about bongs to check that. The Hookah comes out of the Middle East/Asia and you smoke flavored tobacco in it using coals to heat the tobacco.

I've only ever seen a bong in a movie but it seems like that is lit with a direct flame, bt I really don't know.

[quote name='rachael' post='1936804' date='Jul 31 2009, 03:29 PM']no, not bongs. hookahs.

you typically put flavored tobacco in them.

i used to did it periodically. it doesn't smell like cigarette smoke, but it is still tobacco, and it's a bit lighter in the air.[/quote]

I think it smells really nice.

I've never smoked weed before in my life and have no desire to, but I'd assume that you can smoke weed using a Hookah because it is a water pipe right? I'm just guessing :unsure:

[quote name='Hassan' post='1936807' date='Jul 31 2009, 04:32 PM']I think it smells really nice.

I've never smoked weed before in my life and have no desire to, but I'd assume that you can smoke weed using a Hookah because it is a water pipe right? I'm just guessing :unsure:[/quote]
yes. :mellow:

[quote name='Varg' post='1936809' date='Jul 31 2009, 04:34 PM']Two questions: does it damage your boday and can you get high off it?[/quote]
well, you're smoking tobacco, so that should answer your first question. :P

and it's like smoking a cigarette... :mellow:

[quote name='Varg' post='1936809' date='Jul 31 2009, 03:34 PM']Two questions: does it damage your boday and can you get high off it?[/quote]

It can. Although you need to smoke it pretty steadly for a fair time span in order for it to match smoking a single cigar. I think the exact health effects are not clearly know.

I've never gotten high off it. It's tobacco.