An Old School Catholic Message Board

Grinding

Resurrexi

The dance style known as "grinding"  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='14 September 2009 - 10:08 AM' timestamp='1252937291' post='1966193']
I thought it was interesting to consider what love is (and is not) in a very practical sense...

...but like most threads, you all end up bickering over something mindless.
[/quote]

Well to be fair, it is txdinghysailor.

[quote name='hot stuff' date='14 September 2009 - 11:32 AM' timestamp='1252938779' post='1966201']
[/quote]

People do not have a right to attention.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='15 September 2009 - 09:05 AM' timestamp='1253019947' post='1966757']
People do not have a right to attention.
[/quote]

You misunderstand me. I meant he's mindless

txdinghysailor

[quote name='hot stuff' date='15 September 2009 - 11:37 AM' timestamp='1253025435' post='1966784']
[/quote]

haha. I'm mindless? that's funny...

[quote name='txdinghysailor' date='15 September 2009 - 10:42 AM' timestamp='1253025742' post='1966788']
haha. I'm mindless? that's funny...
[/quote]

*Whew* thanks for reminding me

mindless and lacking a good sense of humor

Look, I am as big a fan as anyone of a good joke, but I feel like what’s been happening in this thread has crossed the line. In my view, it was not funny from the start, and has gotten even less funny as time has progressed. For various reasons (which I’m sure the appropriate people will understand) I have refrained from saying anything. But when one Catholic repeatedly insults and picks on another Catholic, it really bothers me. So, I am calling out [i]j[/i]aime and his repeated insults aimed at txdinghysailor. Maybe this means I have lost my sense of humor, but I believe humor does not have to come at the expense of one of our brothers in Christ.

It started with this post:
[quote name='[i]j[/i]aime' date='10 September 2009 - 11:23 AM' timestamp='1252596212' post='1964431']
That's what happens when you have to pay for hugs
[/quote]
I believe this was insulting in the extreme, because it implied that txdinghysailor’s friends are prostitutes, and that TX himself is a john who seeks out the company of prostitutes. I don’t think it’s funny to insult someone by assaulting his character in this way, and I think that alone rose to the level of a personal attack. The comment had nothing to do with the topic at hand, which in my view TX was trying to participate in, and had everything to do with denigrating txdinghy's character and comment.
[quote name='[i]j[/i]aime' date='11 September 2009 - 02:45 PM' timestamp='1252694710' post='1964951']
sounds like someone needs a hug!

wait...

nvm
[/quote]
This post referred back to the original, unfunny insult, essentially repeating it.
[quote name='[i]j[/i]aime' date='11 September 2009 - 09:41 PM' timestamp='1252719679' post='1965109']
Do you think you're the first boneheaded sailor to float by these parts? HA!

We've seen you before.
[/quote]
Now, in addition to the previous insult, [i]j[/i]aime adds an insult to txdinghy’s intelligence. txdinghy is a 20-year-old college student, who is also serving our country. While his conduct on our board has not always been admirable (as evidenced by his reputation ranking), does he deserve to have his intelligence and his profession impugned in this manner?
[quote name='[i]j[/i]aime' date='14 September 2009 - 10:32 AM' timestamp='1252938779' post='1966201']
[/quote]
This was in response to a comment that the thread had gone downhill. In my opinion, it would not have descended in the manner it did had [i]j[/i]aime refrained from insulting txdinghy and his friends.
[quote name='[i]j[/i]aime' date='15 September 2009 - 10:37 AM' timestamp='1253025435' post='1966784']
[/quote]
Again, an attack on txdinghysailor’s intelligence.
[quote name='[i]j[/i]aime' date='15 September 2009 - 01:21 PM' timestamp='1253035312' post='1966864']
*Whew* thanks for reminding me

mindless and lacking a good sense of humor
[/quote]
And another insult.

The attacks have occurred not only in this thread but in the thread txdinghysailor started on raving:
[quote name='[i]j[/i]aime' date='11 September 2009 - 09:37 PM' timestamp='1252719468' post='1965106']
are you paying people to hug you at the rave?

That would be an issue.
[/quote]
And on a thread in open mic:
[quote name='[i]j[/i]aime' date='15 September 2009 - 12:55 PM' timestamp='1253033722' post='1966846']
Redundantly repetitive.

And seriously I wonder what IS the maximum is for negative points?
[/quote]
There have possibly been incidents in other threads as well. I did not perform an exhaustive search.

As I said earlier, txdinghy has not exhibited particularly exemplary conduct on this board. I think he should do better. He is a Catholic in the armed forces, and should represent his Church and his country with more decorum. Others in this thread have responded to txdinghy with charitable answers that, I think, have had the effect of benefiting all of us. I’d commend zunshynn and cmom for their posts to him.

[i]j[/i]aime, on the other hand, has responded only by jabbing at txdinghy and tearing him down. [i]j[/i]aime is more than twice txdinghy’s age, and on top of that has a background in ministry and a long history of being a faithful Catholic. In addition, he is a Church Scholar on this board, and as such bears a higher burden (in my view) of being charitable in his comments toward other members of the board. These sort of insulting attacks are unbecoming, and are not the sort of behavior we should be encouraging that Catholics engage in toward one another.

Edited by Terra Firma

imho, grinding is a mortal/venial sin, because it is, in all its essence, a sexual behavior acted out in a perverse way, not within the beauty and dignity of the gift that is our sexuality...

times have changed...back when I went dancing (in jr. high, highschool,) most of us were actually there to show off how good we were at the dance moves that were popular at the time... NOT to rub each others genitals and get off on each other... yeesh...

I admire you, Terra, for calling out what you see as uncharitable posts. We all need to be reminded of this...

but I honestly think hot stuff was just being facetious...

[quote name='dominicansoul' date='15 September 2009 - 06:03 PM' timestamp='1253052195' post='1967100']
I admire you, Terra, for calling out what you see as uncharitable posts. We all need to be reminded of this...

but I honestly think hot stuff was just being facetious...
[/quote]
I would have allowed for that possibility but for the fact that txdinghy was not laughing and was clearly becoming more defensive as the thread progressed.

Also, in txdinghy's lame board thread making apology for his behavior on the board, [i]j[/i]aime implied that his jabs were a response to txdinghy's views on women:
[quote name='hot stuff' date='15 September 2009 - 06:01 PM' timestamp='1253052085' post='1967098']
You stop making disparaging remarks about women and you have my full support and admiration.
[/quote]
[quote name='hot stuff' date='15 September 2009 - 07:37 PM' timestamp='1253057863' post='1967190']
You were making the argument that you don't have to treat women with respect. When folks were encouraging you to be respectful of women, your responses were attacking. "Thank God I don't have a baby sister". Your point (which was loud and clear) was "If women have no self respect, I will treat them without respect and screw you if don't like it"

That's disparaging to women.
[/quote]
To me, this doesn't sound like someone who was simply intending to be facetious. It sounds like someone who was using humor specifically to upset txdinghy.

Like I said, I love a good laugh, and [i]j[/i]aime has a gift for bringing that to the board. I have appreciated that many times over the years I have been a member here. I think his humor has been a valuable asset to us as a group. It's not funny, though, when humor comes at the expense of someone who is less well-formed in the faith, and when it's used as a weapon rather than as a means of creating common ground.

Feel free to disagree with me if you choose. I am just stating my read on the situation. And I again reiterate that I'm not supporting txdinghy's past conduct here. Clearly there is room for him to grow. I just don't think that attacking him is the best way to achieve that goal.

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='16 September 2009 - 12:10 PM' timestamp='1253117400' post='1967540']
I would have allowed for that possibility but for the fact that txdinghy was not laughing and was clearly becoming more defensive as the thread progressed.

Also, in txdinghy's lame board thread making apology for his behavior on the board, [i]j[/i]aime implied that his jabs were a response to txdinghy's views on women:

To me, this doesn't sound like someone who was simply intending to be facetious. It sounds like someone who was using humor specifically to upset txdinghy.

Like I said, I love a good laugh, and [i]j[/i]aime has a gift for bringing that to the board. I have appreciated that many times over the years I have been a member here. I think his humor has been a valuable asset to us as a group. It's not funny, though, when humor comes at the expense of someone who is less well-formed in the faith, and when it's used as a weapon rather than as a means of creating common ground.

Feel free to disagree with me if you choose. I am just stating my read on the situation. And I again reiterate that I'm not supporting txdinghy's past conduct here. Clearly there is room for him to grow. I just don't think that attacking him is the best way to achieve that goal.
[/quote]

[i]Enough

You are no longer to comment on my actions. Unless you're ready to post full blown confession and apology to me for the reprehensible lack of respect you showed me and our friendship, then you are a hypocrite for criticizing me publicly. If you feel the need to continue to publicly chastise me, I will apply the same standard to you and share how you have acted. Not just an internet forum snarkiness, but your actions in real life.

I have never made this statement about anyone before but I regret ever helping you.

You have lost the right to have an opinion on me or anything that I do. Don't respond to this. Put me on ignore as I have with you.[/i]