An Old School Catholic Message Board

Grinding

Resurrexi

The dance style known as "grinding"  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Grinding is a type of close partner dance where two or more dancers rub their bodies (especially the genitalia) against each other in a sexually suggestive manner.

Not necessarily. I'd say the same thing about kissing or backrubs or whatever. Does it arouse? Does it lead to temptation for either party? My answer would vary accordingly.

I've done it before at dances, just being silly with my girl friends and a gay friend (before I was Catholic). It wasn't a sexual thing for anyone involved...was it classy? Not really. But it wasn't like we were trying to get aroused by it.

I think it certainly objectively grave matter because it's scandalous, even if the people doing it aren't aroused by it. The whole point of it is to be sexually suggestive and really, it's mocking sexuality, so it's degrading in and of itself. But I think that probably doesn't occur to a lot of people that do it, so it would probably be venial in most cases.

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1938554' date='Aug 2 2009, 12:39 AM']the definition of prom is GRINDING. it's disgusting. no one wants to see that. i voted venial...[/quote]
Srsly?

:blink:

I never went to mine :unsure:

where did you get that definition? "close partner dance" :lol:

I think it's definitely grave matter, but that doesn't mean it's a mortal sin (because it depends on full knowledge/consent). I didn't like the choice between venial and grave matter (because it could be both, and I can't judge whether it's venial or mortal), so I nulled.

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1938554' date='Aug 1 2009, 10:39 PM']the definition of prom is GRINDING. it's disgusting. no one wants to see that. i voted venial...[/quote]

It's true. Sad. My teachers hated chaperoning school dances because of that. My French teacher, who had a somewhat risque sense of humor, used to trick new teachers into chaperoning dances for her and then she'd take their football and basketball games. :rolleyes: Even the dances we had in junior high were gross, if I remember correctly. I mean... maybe the days when the boys stood on one side and the girls stood on the other staring at each other were lame, but why did it have to go to the absolute opposite extreme? Nasty...

Yeah, prom does = grinding. Really, "dancing" today is being held around the waist by someone and moving. It's like spooning standing up, more or less.

I was talking to Phil about dances and this thread, and it called to mind a couple who were dancing, making out, and touching each other inappropriately all at once. Oh man, it was gross. And people wonder why I'm so anti-PDA!

umm rubbing genitals? normally not. people try to avoid sporting large erections in pubic places.

dancing back to front up close is more normal. it pretty fun

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1938761' date='Aug 2 2009, 03:05 AM']umm rubbing genitals? normally not. people try to avoid sporting large erections in pubic places.[/quote]

This made me snort loudly with amusement :unsure:

[quote]dancing back to front up close is more normal. it pretty fun[/quote]

:yes: