An Old School Catholic Message Board

Nihil, Or Maybe It Was Rexi

pat22

anyway, my sister is off to college and ive decided to defiantly pursue the guitar.
but im going to get an electric one and i have a super tight budget. i wanted one that had every thing i needed to start that got good ratings(and this one did get great ratings from various guitar blogs).
[url="http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Guitar-Package-Instructional-EG1K/dp/B000WM8V7A/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&qid=1249776274&sr=8-25"]http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Guitar-Pack...274&sr=8-25[/url]

im totally a newbie to the guitar so i wanted you opinion on this one before i decided on it. maybe you knew about one around the same price that you would recommend instead of this one.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1943825' date='Aug 8 2009, 09:22 PM']the way he plays..defiantly.

:mellow:[/quote]

:hehe:

I see another grounding in his future if that's the case.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1943823' date='Aug 8 2009, 08:20 PM']it was Nihil ...and do you mean defiantly or definitely? :mellow:[/quote]

oops
[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1943834' date='Aug 8 2009, 08:34 PM']:hehe:

I see another grounding in his future if that's the case.[/quote]
FOR THE LAST TIME!! IT WAS A CRUSADE!!!!!!

I bought my first guitar at a pawn shop in the stock yards district of OKC. Lots of clubs there, so musicians pawned their stuff down there. The two suggestions I have for learning to play is to get a guitar with low action, that means the strings are close to the fret board. The farther you have to push them down, the harder it is on the fingers, and the more it hurts at first, and therefore the more likely you are to quit. Second suggestion is find someone to give you lessons.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='pat22' post='1943839' date='Aug 8 2009, 09:37 PM']oops

FOR THE LAST TIME!! IT WAS A CRUSADE!!!!!![/quote]

yeah. a crusade that got you grounded.

[quote name='rachael' post='1943838' date='Aug 8 2009, 08:36 PM']let's hope so.[/quote]
:mellow: i forgot why your on my friend list

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1943842' date='Aug 8 2009, 08:39 PM']I bought my first guitar at a pawn shop in the stock yards district of OKC. Lots of clubs there, so musicians pawned their stuff down there. The two suggestions I have for learning to play is to get a guitar with low action, that means the strings are close to the fret board. The farther you have to push them down, the harder it is on the fingers, and the more it hurts at first, and therefore the more likely you are to quit. Second suggestion is find someone to give you lessons.[/quote]
thanks! i was hoping to learn with dvds and youtube videos. my parents will pay for piano but they're not so thrilled about any non-classical instrument. so i dont know how that will work out :mellow:

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1943853' date='Aug 8 2009, 08:49 PM']yeah. a crusade that got you grounded.[/quote]
no. it didn't

hmmmm thought that was me. you said my videos definitely made you want an electric guitar.

ok, i would tend to avoid the beginner guitar packages. they are cheap but i dont think they will help you. they tend to go out of tune very quickly, have the action, or playability,set up really badly, and don't sound that great, combined with a lame amp it seems like putting more in the way of you actually sticking with guitar long enough o be good at it and thoroughly enjoy playing.

if you can save up a little more money and get a real guitar. it doesnt have to be very expensive at all, but if its made half decently it will make a huge difference. mexican fender guitars are cheap and great(my first electric was a burgundy mexi fender strat), very playable and reliable. squire guitars are ok too. smething that isnt a package deal. i had a barracuda package guitar lent to me, and the neck actually bent and warped.

also look into the Roland Microcube for a good small amp. lots of sounds and fairly cheap.

it might mean waiting a little while but it will be worth it. if you need to play guitar right away get a 150-200$ acoustic guitar.

and most importantly shop around a bit.

Edited by Jesus_lol

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1943872' date='Aug 8 2009, 10:23 PM']hmmmm thought that was me. you said my videos definitely made you want an electric guitar.[/quote]

Probably you, too. But I remember a thread where Nihil posted pictures of his guitars and he and Pat were talking about them.

[quote name='Jesus_lol' post='1943872' date='Aug 8 2009, 09:23 PM']hmmmm thought that was me. you said my videos definitely made you want an electric guitar.

ok, i would tend to avoid the beginner guitar packages. they are cheap but i dont think they will help you. they tend to go out of tune very quickly, have the action, or playability,set up really badly, and don't sound that great, combined with a lame amp it seems like putting more in the way of you actually sticking with guitar long enough o be good at it and thoroughly enjoy playing.

if you can save up a little more money and get a real guitar. it doesnt have to be very expensive at all, but if its made half decently it will make a huge difference. mexican fender guitars are cheap and great(my first electric was a burgundy mexi fender strat), very playable and reliable. squire guitars are ok too. smething that isnt a package deal. i had a barracuda package guitar lent to me, and the neck actually bent and warped.

also look into the Roland Microcube for a good small amp. lots of sounds and fairly cheap.

it might mean waiting a little while but it will be worth it. if you need to play guitar right away get a 150-200$ acoustic guitar.

and most importantly shop around a bit.[/quote]
thanks! that helps. i will look into that. the reviews on the the guitar blogs i was reading said that the wood and built was really great for the one i posted. and if you took it to a shop and put a little money into it they would fix it to make it sound and handle great.
so should i buy this one and take it in for a little more money. or wait a bit until i could buy a more quality one?

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1943882' date='Aug 8 2009, 09:36 PM']Probably you, too. But I remember a thread where Nihil posted pictures of his guitars and he and Pat were talking about them.[/quote]
so it was nihil

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='pat22' post='1943889' date='Aug 8 2009, 10:53 PM']so it was nihil[/quote]

That's what I said. :mellow: