An Old School Catholic Message Board

Going To Mass

T-Bone _

[quote name='VeniteAdoremus' post='1949628' date='Aug 15 2009, 12:01 PM']The first time I went to an EF mass it was Pentecost and they pulled out all the stops. I made it to the sequence :([/quote]

Pentecost does have a great sequence. :yes:

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='cappie' post='1949402' date='Aug 15 2009, 01:43 AM']or going to MacDonald's makes you a hamburger :burger: :lol_pound:[/quote]

But it makes you a CUSTOMER!!!!!

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1949233' date='Aug 14 2009, 10:25 PM']I meant that people often take it far to literal. Often people 'judge' people of 'judging' people and break out that passage when they do.[/quote]

From what I've seen in my years on this earth, people pull the "judge not" card as a manipulative attempt to silence Christians from speaking out on right vs. wrong. So, I normally let that verse go in one ear and out the other.

InHisLove726

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1949528' date='Aug 15 2009, 08:59 AM']Our priest back home got really cranky about people sitting too far back and not moving up to sit closer to the front, at one point he even threatened to have the last few pews removed. Eventually the youth group roped the pews off with white rope and a sign that said "reserved for guardian angels"[/quote]

I like that. :saint:

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1949528' date='Aug 15 2009, 08:59 AM']"reserved for guardian angels"[/quote]

Considering some churches may be in high-crime areas, that sign can either refer to actual angels or the crime-fighting group.

dauntingknight

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1949114' date='Aug 14 2009, 08:19 PM']Agreed. I can't stand the people who come and stay during Communion and leave right after. I saw two women in Church last week who did that and I wanted to tell them to sit back down. It makes me very upset. :sadder:[/quote]That is depressing

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1949528' date='Aug 15 2009, 08:59 AM']Our priest back home got really cranky about people sitting too far back and not moving up to sit closer to the front, at one point he even threatened to have the last few pews removed. Eventually the youth group roped the pews off with white rope and a sign that said "reserved for guardian angels"[/quote]
Nice! :smokey:

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1949528' date='Aug 15 2009, 07:59 AM']Our priest back home got really cranky about people sitting too far back and not moving up to sit closer to the front, at one point he even threatened to have the last few pews removed. Eventually the youth group roped the pews off with white rope and a sign that said "reserved for guardian angels"[/quote]

I like sitting in the back pews.

:unsure:

[quote name='dauntingknight' post='1950209' date='Aug 15 2009, 10:36 PM']Why?[/quote]

I don't really like everyone looking at the back of my head.

:idontknow:

Edited by Resurrexi

InHisLove726

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1950180' date='Aug 15 2009, 10:40 PM']Considering some churches may be in high-crime areas, that sign can either refer to actual angels or the crime-fighting group.[/quote]

:lol_pound:

InHisLove726

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1950211' date='Aug 15 2009, 11:38 PM']I don't really like everyone looking at the back of my head.

:idontknow:[/quote]

The back of your head is ridiculous!

[img]http://i.ytimg.com/vi/kTFZyl7hfBw/0.jpg[/img]

:lol:

We have to sit in the back on one of the sides. It's not good for my husband's condition to have people behind him.

InHisLove726

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1950265' date='Aug 16 2009, 12:35 AM']We have to sit in the back on one of the sides. It's not good for my husband's condition to have people behind him.[/quote]

When I was suffering from Social Anxiety disorder, I felt like all the eyes of the world were on me. I remember sitting in a room in college when I first started and all the chairs were in the formation of a square (all around the walls of the room). I did not like that at all. I felt so claustrophobic.

I can't honestly say what I felt when going to Church because it was a time in my life when God mattered very little. :ohno:

[quote name='BG45' post='1950020' date='Aug 15 2009, 08:23 PM']Amen. Just came home from Mass and had the woman to my right, wearing a mantilla, slip out once the Reception of the Eucharist was over, and the woman to my left did so during the closing hymn.[/quote]

I used to do this until I realized the root of my concern was pride in my own ability to dot the "i"s and cross the "t"s of worship. Especially if you go to Mass in a rough part of town, it's a humbling experience to realize that the whore who slips out of Mass early (most likely to be with a customer) is still probably closer to God than you are, when you stay all the way to the end and even a little while longer to say your thanksgiving. And the difference is that while she knows what she is when she walks the streets, we don't know what we are, in our smugness. So she has the chance to repent, but we don't, since we don't even realize we are sinning. A woman who takes the trouble to veil is probably not leaving Mass early out of laziness or a lack of piety, more likely it is a case of a sick child or something like that.

Sorry if I seem harsh, I am just so sick of the Liturgy Cops, used to be one myself!

[quote name='InHisLove726' post='1949350' date='Aug 15 2009, 01:46 AM']I never said that they did not have a good reason, but I hate seeing someone do this. If they had a good reason, such as being sick or something, then they have every right to leave, but most of the time it's because they want to beat the traffic (i.e. my dad used to do this a lot) or they want to get to breakfast or lunch early.[/quote]

To be accurate .. what you actually said was: [i]" I can't stand [u]the people [/u] who come and stay during Communion and leave right after." [/i]Seems like you think they have no good reason; if you thought they did you would be able to "stand" them. I understand that you're saying you aren't judging them, but be aware that's not what your word choice is communicating.

I'm not sure how you divine why it is "they" leave early "most of the time" either.

My pastor preached a homily on this just last week. What would happen if we read the beginning and middle parts of books, but left off the end? We'd miss out on a lot of important information. The blessing and "sending" part of Mass is stuff we can't do without.