An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jan Hus

Resurrexi

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote]sometimes referred to in English as John Huss or variations thereof, was a Czech Catholic priest, philosopher, reformer, and master at Charles University in Prague. He is famous for being burned at the stake for what the Roman Catholic Church considered to be his heretical views on ecclesiology. Hus was a key contributor to the Protestant movement whose teachings had a strong influence on the states of Europe, most immediately in the approval for the existence of a reformist Bohemian Church, and, more than a century later, on Martin Luther himself.[/quote]

(source: Wikipedia)

No, it was not. Sorry. Being a heretic is not a good enough reason to be burned alive.

rhetoricfemme

I'm inclined to say no. I don't think it matters whether or not I think someone deserves to die; it's not for me to decide when or how, only God can do that. Same goes for other people.

Catholic tradition and Aquinas do not agree with you.

"Therefore if a man be dangerous and infectious to the community, on accountof some sin, it is praiseworthy and advantageous that he be killed in order tosafeguard the common good . . . . [url="http://www.newadvent.org/summa/306402.htm"][i]ST[/i] IIa-IIae, q. 64, a.2.[/url]
Itis permissible to kill a criminal if this is necessary for the welfareof the whole community. However, this right belongs only to the oneentrusted with the care of the whole community -- just as a doctor maycut off an infected limb, since he has been entrusted with the care ofthe health of the whole body. [url="http://www.newadvent.org/summa/306403.htm"][i]ST[/i] IIa-IIae, q. 64, a. 3[/url]"[indent]

[/indent]

Aquinas was not infallible, and I stand by what I said. Having different beliefs is not a reason to die. That's not anywhere near what Jesus taught. Sorry. People have the right to believe what they wish, and the Church does not have the right to dictate a person's belief or life.

Edited by Selah

[quote name='Selah' date='04 October 2009 - 06:50 PM' timestamp='1254696600' post='1977635']
Who cares what Aquinas thought. He was fat.
[/quote]

:rolleyes:

by the way, i got the quotes rather quickly off of [url="http://www.aquinasonline.com/Questions/cappunsh.html"]this[/url] website.

edit:

The execution was not simply because Hus had different beliefs, but that he propogated beliefs which could affect peoples' salvation in a negative way.

Edited by aalpha1989

Yes of course !!!
There should be people burning as we speak !!
You grab the gas I'll get the stakes, off to tbn we go !!

Edited by Guest

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='04 October 2009 - 04:44 PM' timestamp='1254696272' post='1977625']
what were his civil crimes?
[/quote]
yeah..

what that guy said....

[quote]by the way, i got the quotes rather quickly off of this website. [/quote]

Cool.

Still disagree.

Being a saint doesn't elevate you to some God like infallible status.

I wonder what St. Therese would say, though...

[quote]The execution was not simply because Hus had different beliefs, but that he propogated beliefs which could affect peoples' salvation in a negative way. [/quote]

Should Martin Luther have been burned at the stake?

Edited by Selah

[quote name='Selah' date='04 October 2009 - 06:53 PM' timestamp='1254696827' post='1977642']
Cool.

Still disagree.

Being a saint doesn't elevate you to some God like infallible status.

I wonder what St. Therese would say, though...
[/quote]

She would pray for Hus' conversion before his execution, as she did for a condemned criminal in France. He (the criminal she prayed for, not Hus) did confess his sins before being executed, by the way.

Edited by aalpha1989

[quote name='Selah' date='04 October 2009 - 06:53 PM' timestamp='1254696827' post='1977642']
Should Martin Luther have been burned at the stake?
[/quote]

No idea. Wasn't my place to judge. Honestly I would support the decision of the Church whether it was to burn him or not to, because I trust the people who were there and knew the Church's teachings more than I trust myself. Same goes for Hus' situation. I pity him, because I believe he was honestly searching for Truth; I hope for his salvation, as he did beg God for forgiveness of his sins before his death. However, neither justice nor mercy are mine to give. I'll support the decisions of the Church at the time.

I would hope that the Church would understand that, even though Martin Luther was wrong, putting him to the death would not be the right thing to do.