An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jan Hus

Resurrexi

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Selah' date='04 October 2009 - 04:56 PM' timestamp='1254696967' post='1977647']
Okay, Jason. What were his civil crimes?
[/quote]
i dont know.

i am asking.

i can glean he was a dreaded heretic. I am wondering if there was anything else.

Tell me how we can go from turning the other cheek when we are struck and to love our enemies, to burning fellow believers and torturing them at the stake ? I don't really see how ? Now if Jesus wouldn't have come along and said these things I could see how we could justify it from reading the old testement. But it seems Jesus contradicted all of that. Hmmmm. I'm a bit confused.

Edited by Guest

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Selah' date='04 October 2009 - 07:00 PM' timestamp='1254697221' post='1977651']
I would hope that the Church would understand that, even though Martin Luther was wrong, putting him to the death would not be the right thing to do.
[/quote]
I don't think it's either of our places to say that it's the right or wrong thing.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' date='04 October 2009 - 07:06 PM' timestamp='1254697571' post='1977657']
Tell me how we can go from turning the other cheek when we are struck and to love our enemies, to burning fellow believers and torturing them at the stake ? I don't really see how ? Now if Jesus wouldn't have come along and said these things I could see how we could justify it from reading the old testement. But it seems Jesus contradicted all of that. Hmmmm. I'm a bit confused.
[/quote]

Jesus drove people out of the temple with whips; to turn the other cheek does not mean to be a pacifist. The view of the Church and of Aquinas is that if capital punishment is ever acceptable, it is because (as Aquinas says in the quotations I already posted) out of love for the Body of Christ, a greater evil must be prevented.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='04 October 2009 - 07:10 PM' timestamp='1254697810' post='1977666']
Jesus drove people out of the temple with whips; to turn the other cheek does not mean to be a pacifist. The view of the Church and of Aquinas is that if capital punishment is ever acceptable, it is because (as Aquinas says in the quotations I already posted) out of love for the Body of Christ, a greater evil must be prevented.
[/quote]

was just asking. as i said earlier lets go burn some christians.

The Church has actually condemned this statement as an error: "That heretics be burned is against the will of the Spirit." (Pope Leo X, [i]Exsurge Domine[/i], 33). This means that, in theory, there are sometimes circumstances under which burning heretics can be morally acceptable.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='04 October 2009 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1254697732' post='1977661']
and he wonders why he has negative votes.
[/quote]

ha i'm fianally on the plus side somehow.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='04 October 2009 - 06:51 PM' timestamp='1254696700' post='1977636']
:rolleyes:

by the way, i got the quotes rather quickly off of [url="http://www.aquinasonline.com/Questions/cappunsh.html"]this[/url] website.

edit:

The execution was not simply because Hus had different beliefs, but that he propogated beliefs which could affect peoples' salvation in a negative way.
[/quote]

"Salvation" may or may not exist, because God may or may not exist. You cannot murder someone based off of beliefs that are not proven to be true.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='04 October 2009 - 07:15 PM' timestamp='1254698126' post='1977669']
This means that, in theory, executing heretics can sometimes be acceptable.
[/quote]

Can you come up with a modern day example?

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='04 October 2009 - 07:15 PM' timestamp='1254698126' post='1977669']
The Church has actually condemned this statement as an error: "That heretics be burned is against the will of the Spirit." (Pope Leo X, [i]Exsurge Domine[/i], 33). This means that, in theory, there are sometimes circumstances under which burning heretics can be morally acceptable.
[/quote]

tbn has a boatlaod. what are we waiting for ?

[quote name='Selah' date='04 October 2009 - 05:56 PM' timestamp='1254696967' post='1977647']
What were his civil crimes?
[/quote]

Spreading heresy was a civil crime in many states in Europe at that time.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='04 October 2009 - 06:16 PM' timestamp='1254698203' post='1977672']
Can you come up with a modern day example?
[/quote]

No, I can only come up with historical examples.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='04 October 2009 - 07:18 PM' timestamp='1254698321' post='1977676']
No, I can only come up with historical examples.
[/quote]

Why? You pretty much implied that this...

[b]This means that, in theory, there are sometimes circumstances under which burning heretics can be morally acceptable.[/b]

...applies to any period in history. So let's talk modern day - modern day heretics (give examples), and please define what circumstance would fall under "there are [u]sometimes[/u] circumstances."