An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jan Hus

Resurrexi

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The church can't burn people now because murder is against the law. Also, the church isn't in charge of the country anymore, thank goodness.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='04 October 2009 - 06:21 PM' timestamp='1254698502' post='1977679']
So let's talk modern day - modern day heretics (give examples), and please define what circumstance would fall under "there are [u]sometimes[/u] circumstances."
[/quote]

If social conditions were the same in a modern day state as they were in a country in Medieval Western Europe, then in my opinion it would probably be acceptable.

Vincent Vega

[quote name='Kitty' date='04 October 2009 - 07:24 PM' timestamp='1254698655' post='1977683']
The church can't burn people now because murder is against the law.[/quote]
The Church could indeed burn people if She found it fit to do so.
[quote]Also, the church isn't in charge of the country anymore, thank goodness.
[/quote]
Tell that to the Vatican.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Kitty' date='04 October 2009 - 07:24 PM' timestamp='1254698655' post='1977683']
The church can't burn people now because murder is against the law. Also, the church isn't in charge of the country anymore, thank goodness.
[/quote]

I'm interested in hearing what he has to say. He has to have some examples.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' date='04 October 2009 - 07:25 PM' timestamp='1254698753' post='1977687']
The Church could indeed burn people if She found it fit to do so.

Tell that to the Vatican.
[/quote]

Well, they could if they wanted, but they'd get themselves thrown in jail.

The Vatican is a country. They do not control other countries.

[quote name='Kitty' date='04 October 2009 - 06:27 PM' timestamp='1254698844' post='1977690']
Well, they could if they wanted, but they'd get themselves thrown in jail.

The Vatican is a country. They do not control other countries.
[/quote]

Civil governments always did the executing.

Clerics were never executors.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='04 October 2009 - 07:25 PM' timestamp='1254698712' post='1977686']
If social conditions were the same in a modern day state as they were in a country in Medieval Western Europe, then in my opinion it would probably be acceptable.
[/quote]

What circumstance in modern times would make the burning of a heretic [please explain why the individual is a heretic] morally acceptable?

Just answer the question. I want your opinion, your speculation, whatever.

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='04 October 2009 - 07:10 PM' timestamp='1254697810' post='1977666']
; to turn the other cheek does not mean to be a pacifist.[/quote]

what does it mean ? enlighten me.

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='04 October 2009 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1254698914' post='1977693']
What circumstance in modern times would make the burning of a heretic [please explain why the individual is a heretic] morally acceptable?

Just answer the question. I want your opinion, your speculation, whatever.
[/quote]

There would have to be a state in which Catholicism was the state religion and where more than 90% of the population were Catholics. The aforementioned state would have to have technology that was no more advanced than that of the 17th century. Also, heresy would have to be something that could potentially be very detrimental to the state. Then, perhaps, I could it would be acceptable for those who publicly and repeatedly spread heretical opinions to be executed after having been warned by authorities multiple times and having been found guilty beyond all doubt.

But this is just my opinion and is completely speculative. I may be completely wrong.

Edited by Resurrexi

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Delivery Boy' date='04 October 2009 - 07:36 PM' timestamp='1254699395' post='1977697']
what does it mean ? enlighten me.
[/quote]

In this case it means that you do not have a right to enact justice yourself, say to carry out capital punishment. But the State does have the right to use Capital Punishment against certain criminals who commit Capital crimes.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' date='04 October 2009 - 07:42 PM' timestamp='1254699721' post='1977701']
In this case it means that you do not have a right to enact justice yourself, say to carry out capital punishment. But the State does have the right to use Capital Punishment against certain criminals who commit Capital crimes.
[/quote]

Gotcha. Godd answer. Makes sence. Since I know Jesus is the God in the O.T. and Revelations. And we know He gets busy. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]

Edited by Guest

HisChildForever

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='04 October 2009 - 07:40 PM' timestamp='1254699616' post='1977699']
There would have to be a state in which Catholicism was the state religion and where more than 90% of the population were Catholics. The aforementioned state would have to have technology that was no more advanced than that of the 17th century. Also, heresy would have to be something that could potentially be very detrimental to the state. Then, perhaps, I could it would be acceptable for those who publicly and repeatedly spread heretical opinions to be executed after having been warned by authorities multiple times and having been found guilty beyond all doubt.

But this is just my opinion and is completely speculative. I may be completely wrong.
[/quote]

So then this statement you made earlier,

[b]This means that, in theory, there are sometimes circumstances under which burning heretics can be morally acceptable.[/b]

is irrelevant to modern day so therefore it is not morally acceptable to burn a heretic in the year 2009. Correct?

Edited by HisChildForever

[quote name='Terra Firma' date='04 October 2009 - 05:00 PM' timestamp='1254697228' post='1977652']
I think it's unfair to judge history when using the lens of our modern sensibilities.
[/quote]
do you posit similarly as it pertains to slavery?

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='04 October 2009 - 06:45 PM' timestamp='1254699935' post='1977705']
is irrelevant to modern day so therefore it is not morally acceptable to burn a heretic in the year 2009. Correct?
[/quote]

I do not think that it would be morally acceptable for the state to execute a heretic under the social conditions that exist today.