An Old School Catholic Message Board

Jan Hus

Resurrexi

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

HisChildForever

His hair is probably sticking up straight due to the electricity of an impending lightening strike.

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='04 October 2009 - 07:48 PM' timestamp='1254700085' post='1977706']
do you posit similarly as it pertains to slavery?
[/quote]
I posit similarly as it pertains to any moral judgment we place on people hundreds of years ago. Issuing a snap judgment one way or the other without considering the nuances of the historical question is sloppy history. Our social order today is vastly different from the 15th century, with regard to the Hus situation. That doesn't mean that, after consideration of the whole picture, we can't arrive at the judgment that the execution was wrong. Just that a fuller understanding of the circumstances surrounding the execution allows us to make a better determination one way or the other.

I think the question of slavery is similar. Looking back on our own national history is one thing, but what about, say, slavery in ancient Israel? Or the references to it in the New Testament? We have to allow for the fact that we see things differently today than has been true at some points in history.

[quote name='Sternhauser' date='04 October 2009 - 09:19 PM' timestamp='1254705592' post='1977776']
They're going to be saying that about abortion, 200 years from now.

~Sternhauser
[/quote]
I'm ahead of my time in at least one area, then.

The majority of time is spent changing font sizes and colors. Coming up with nicknames really doesn't absorb as much time as one would think.

Stormstopper

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='04 October 2009 - 11:40 PM' timestamp='1254717635' post='1977977']
I'm pretty sure that Pope John Paul II didn't use his teaching authority in issuing that apology. In fact, for a papal statement to have papal magisterial authority, it normally must be published in the Acta Apostolicae Sedis. I'm pretty that JPII's apology didn't make it into the AAS. Usually only motu proprio, encyclicals, etc. make it into there.
[/quote]

[font="Arial"][size="2"]Rez.....

Who cares if JPII was using his "teaching authority" or not! This thread is asking the question of attributing guilt to the Roman Catholic Church and the answer is YES....end of story. One would think I would be thanked for setting the record straight and you guys could go on to another topic, but oh no. Your take is, "let's just see what we can do to separate the popes's statements into different categories so we can all go out of our mind asking the same question over and over again and glory in our own opinions". Sheesh!
[/size][/font][font="Arial"][size="2"]
[font="Arial"][size="2"][/size][/font]
Quote:
[/size][/font]584 years after Hus' cruel death at the hands of the Council of Constance, Pope John Paul II apologized to the Czech people. Paying tribute to the moral character of Hus, the pope said, "On the eve of the great Jubilee, I feel the need to express a profound regret for the cruel death inflicted on Jan Hus and the consequent wound, the source of conflicts and divisions, which were opened in the spirits and the hearts of the Bohemian people." He called for an end to divisions in the church.

[font="Arial"][size="2"]And of course at that lovely conference at Constance, Pope John XXIII was imprisoned for piracy and murder.

Allow me to read your mind in response to that: "But the pope wasn't acting in his official capacity of the church, but rather in his own moral laxity as a human being, and so we must not look too severely at his character flaws, but instead concentrate on the fact that he was personally picked by Christ like a ripe apple at the peak of freshness, to be the leader of the church He founded."[/size][/font]

Edited by Stormstopper

Is this thread about the legality of the execution of Jan Huss, or is it about the execution of heretics in general?

[quote name='Stormstopper' date='04 October 2009 - 11:38 PM' timestamp='1254721087' post='1978053']
[font="Arial"][size="2"]Rez.....

Who cares if JPII was using his "teaching authority" or not! This thread is asking the question of attributing guilt to the Roman Catholic Church and the answer is YES....end of story. One would think I would be thanked for setting the record straight and you guys could go on to another topic, but oh no. Your take is, "let's just see what we can do to separate the popes's statements into different categories so we can all go out of our mind asking the same question over and over again and glory in our own opinions". Sheesh![/size][/font][font="Arial"][size="2"][font="Arial"][size="2"][/size][/font]
[quote][/size][/font]584 years after Hus' cruel death at the hands of the Council of Constance, Pope John Paul II apologized to the Czech people. Paying tribute to the moral character of Hus, the pope said, "On the eve of the great Jubilee, I feel the need to express a profound regret for the cruel death inflicted on Jan Hus and the consequent wound, the source of conflicts and divisions, which were opened in the spirits and the hearts of the Bohemian people." He called for an end to divisions in the church.[/quote][/quote]
I find Pope John Paul II's comments on this issue spiritually uplifting.

[quote name='Stormstopper' date='04 October 2009 - 11:38 PM' timestamp='1254721087' post='1978053']
[font="Arial"][size="2"]And of course at that lovely conference at Constance, Pope John XXIII was imprisoned for piracy and murder.

Allow me to read your mind in response to that: "But the pope wasn't acting in his official capacity of the church, but rather in his own moral laxity as a human being, and so we must not look too severely at his character flaws, but instead concentrate on the fact that he was personally picked by Christ like a ripe apple at the peak of freshness, to be the leader of the church He founded."[/size][/font][/quote]
I think you mean Anti-pope John XXIII. :)

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='05 October 2009 - 02:45 AM' timestamp='1254732354' post='1978083']
I don't know.
[/quote]
They are two very different issues. :D

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Apotheoun' date='05 October 2009 - 04:52 AM' timestamp='1254732765' post='1978092']
Resurrexi posted a Disney song earlier today, and so I am all Disney'd out.
[/quote]
This is no mere Disney song, this is Roger Miller!!!!! :annoyed: