An Old School Catholic Message Board

Paranormal Experiences

Nihil Obstat

Paranormal Experiences  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nihil Obstat

If you answered that you have experienced anything paranormal, I'd love to hear your story.
Just interested me lately. No particular reason. I'm interested to see where our group tends to fall.

MissScripture

I once had a panic attack and thought I was possessed. Turns out I just can't take pseudaphedrine, which is what they use from cold medicine to make meth, and can have quite the effect on the nervous system! But that's the closest I've ever come to anything "paranormal."

I believe a had an unnatural reaction to an anointing of the sick. I would have said miraculous, but I'm pretty sure God isn't going to waste a miracle on me.

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='CatherineM' date='12 June 2010 - 10:49 PM' timestamp='1276400957' post='2127961']
I believe a had an unnatural reaction to an anointing of the sick. I would have said miraculous, but I'm pretty sure God isn't going to waste a miracle on me.
[/quote]

I don't think I've ever had a paranormal experience. However, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "paranormal."

Do you mean a healing as CatherineM suggested? Or something like seeing ghosts?

Edited by IgnatiusofLoyola

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='12 June 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1276403106' post='2127971']
I don't think I've ever had a paranormal experience. However, I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "paranormal."

Do you mean a healing as CatherineM suggested? Or something like seeing ghosts?
[/quote]
I left it open intentionally. Basically anything "inexplicable". In my mind that specifically excludes what I call "holy coincidences", for instance suddenly finding a rose in an odd location immediately after praying to St. Therese. While those are cool and deserve to be talked about, I don't think it qualifies as supernatural or preternatural.

What I'm getting at would be...... anything ghost-related, demonic, angelic, and miraculous. Maybe a haunted house, or maybe even being what some people call "sensitive" and what have you. Maybe apparitions, hearing footsteps. Anything like that. Should include miraculous healings and things of that sort.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

No I don't think anything like that has happened to me. That doesn't mean weird stuff doesn't happen to me. Like when I saved a budgie.

During Pentecost, the choir singers were up with the organ and it was very hot, later I said it was the holy spirit warming us up. :lol:

Oh, and then there's the monster in my closet. :mellow:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='12 June 2010 - 11:29 PM' timestamp='1276403366' post='2127973']
I left it open intentionally. Basically anything "inexplicable". In my mind that specifically excludes what I call "holy coincidences", for instance suddenly finding a rose in an odd location immediately after praying to St. Therese. While those are cool and deserve to be talked about, I don't think it qualifies as supernatural or preternatural.

What I'm getting at would be...... anything ghost-related, demonic, angelic, and miraculous. Maybe a haunted house, or maybe even being what some people call "sensitive" and what have you. Maybe apparitions, hearing footsteps. Anything like that. Should include miraculous healings and things of that sort.
[/quote]

Oh, okay. No, I haven't.

There's a part of me that would like to see a ghost. I don't really understand what ghosts are, and how they fit into the scheme of things. But some people who live in very old houses in England have "family ghosts" that they just take for granted. These are not weird, or hysterical people, so I think ghosts must exist, even if I don't understand how whole "ghost thing" works.

MissScripture

Wait...there was the time I lost my St. Michael medal the day of my Grandpa's funeral (at my grandma's house) and found it in my sock drawer like 8 months later on my Grandpa's birthday. Does that count?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='12 June 2010 - 11:37 PM' timestamp='1276403863' post='2127980']
Oh, okay. No, I haven't.

There's a part of me that would like to see a ghost. I don't really understand what ghosts are, and how they fit into the scheme of things. But some people who live in very old houses in England have "family ghosts" that they just take for granted. These are not weird, or hysterical people, so I think ghosts must exist, even if I don't understand how whole "ghost thing" works.
[/quote]
I find the idea of ghosts very interesting too. I'm not 100% sure what to make of it from a Catholic perspective.
I grew up believing in ghosts. Now I'm not so sure that they are what I always thought they are. We've discussed this on PM before, but I'm not sure if there could be any reason for a soul to be "left behind" like a lot of hauntings are attributed to, where the "ghost" appears to maybe not realize he's dead, or whatever. I believe in demonic activity far, far more readily than that.

I smelled roses once after praying to the Blessed Virgin. I wasn't Catholic at the time. Then Missy pointed out to me it was the Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe...which I'd never heard the story of before. Gave me chills.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='MissScripture' date='12 June 2010 - 11:38 PM' timestamp='1276403931' post='2127982']
Wait...there was the time I lost my St. Michael medal the day of my Grandpa's funeral (at my grandma's house) and found it in my sock drawer like 8 months later on my Grandpa's birthday. Does that count?
[/quote]
Personally I count things like that as a "holy coincidence" that may or may not be supernatural or preternatural in origin.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='12 June 2010 - 11:49 PM' timestamp='1276404577' post='2127989']
The grace that we receive in the sacraments is supernatural.
[/quote]
You know what I meant. <_<