An Old School Catholic Message Board

Any Sewers, Dressmakers Or Crafty Minxes Of Any Persuasion?

Spem in alium

IgnatiusofLoyola

That sounds like a great idea! Aprons are usually one of the easier things to sew, because the "fit" isn't as important.

Denim is a good choice because it is sturdy, and should work better at handling the weight of your vegetables from the garden versus other fabrics. If you have a choice of different weights of denim fabric, you probably want to pick the heaviest weight available. Often, when making clothes (such as skirts) out of denim, it makes sense to pick a lighter weight of denim so that the skirt isn't too bulky. But, for an apron like the one you're describing, I'd think the sturdiest fabric might be the best.

Also, when you sew the seams of any part of the apron that will hold weight, you may want to "double sew" many of the seams to make them stronger. (I know that "double sew" isn't the right term, but I hope you know what I mean.) Strengthening the seams would probably apply not only to the "basket" part of the apron, but also higher up on the apron (depending on the design) so that none of the seams break from the weight of the items you might carry.

Sorry if these suggestions are too obvious--you've almost certainly already thought of them. It's been a LONG time since I've made an apron. Perhaps one of the other "crafty minxes" has a suggestion for an apron pattern they particularly like. Also, there may be other "engineering" factors to take into consideration, such as what the ideal depth of the "basket" part of the apron might be. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with an apron designed to be able to hold weight.

LOL--When I first saw the title of this thread, I immediately thought of the same meaning of "sewer" as Not A Mallard did. Obviously, my mind is not just "in the gutter," but even lower down in the "pipe hierarchy." Note: I REALLY want to use the "paperbag" emo here, but with the new software, my computer still won't let me use emos in my posts. Whenever I try to use an emo, and click on "Submit Reply," I get the dreaded "404 Error" screen. (I wonder if a "404 Error" is a venial or a mortal error. :-> )  <------I might need to go back and re-learn the "old-fashioned" emos we used to use before the fancy ones were invented. Some of them were very creative.

Thanks Ignatius! I hadn't though of doing the double stitch (I knew what you meant, but I don't know what it is called either.) I am thinking if I have the end of the apron go about five inches above my knees then it should not get too heavy. Also I might have the strap instead of going around my neck to have a criss-cross (x shaped) in the back to spread the weight out. I could see all the weight on a neck strap causing neck problems later or something. I will probably play around with it, I want to make two of them (one for my house and one for at my grandparents.)