An Old School Catholic Message Board

Was Macht Der Fuchs Sagan?

cartermia

The clarinet is really easy if you know basic music theory.

I have an idea for a quilt. here is the conversation with my grandmother that made me think of the idea.

"Who made the biggest quilt ever?" I asked

"Some gays made a really big AIDs memorial quilt for the people who died of it." said my grandmother

"We should make the biggest quilt and make it out of baby quilts for all of the unborn children who die in abortion," I said.

"Well first you are going to have to finish the quilt you are on..."

So is it a good idea? Every baby quilt would represent one unborn child who was killed during an abortion. I would love to do this but I don't know where to start. Any ideas?

ChristinaTherese

Thoughts about the quilt idea:

1) If you want to make it really big, that would be a huge effort. Just to be forewarned.

2) I would tie it because

a) with baby quilts tying should be fine

b) it would take a long time to do otherwise

3) How would you make it out of multiple quilts? Do you mean having kind of large blocks the size of baby quilts put together? I can definitely see how that would work, but you would have to think of how to make the boundaries clear and how you wanted to make the blocks. Color should work well.

4) Piecing that could take a long time if you didn't do just basic square blocks all around, maybe even the precut ones you can find in the store.

5) There is a limit to the size you can make and still be able to put the layers together easily. Make sure you can do that before you start.

Unless you aren't talking about sewing a quilt, maybe you're talking about crochet, whereupon I don't know too much. But maybe these thoughts would transfer anyway.

I was actually going to ask people I know if they would make baby quilts of a certain size (without borders) and then they could be sewed together. I was going to say any colors and pattern would be okay to make it more diverse. Also I love to tie quilts so I would be doing that part, along with making quilts for the top.

Do you think 36" by 54" would be a good size for each individual quilt?

ChristinaTherese

One thing you could do is use some plain cream (or white or something else that blends with pretty much everything) strips to set things off. And if you did that a really cute thing related would be to put some squares with baby related images or words related to what you meant for the quilt to symbolize on them. As far as the size, I don't know. It depends on what you want to do with this thing. I would think about what would be done with the quilt, how many quilts/blocks you wanted to have (you could do great things with symbolism with the number), how much space you had for the quilt, and then work out how big to make the individual quilts/blocks. Also, a great way to get quilts done is to have a quilting circle and all pitch in together. You might want to see about that if you want to try for something large. And I'm sure your grandma can help with size and practical details like how to put it together.

Good idea!

Tomorrow is the beginning of the EKU Honors Band! Say an extra prayer! My dad made me practice the audition piece over and over, I guess he expects me to get the first chair. (not likely) Oh well. At least I get to go swimming and miss a day of school!

:PM: