An Old School Catholic Message Board

Must Eastern Catholics Accept Ic?

Eliakim

I know that, but I was specifically asking Eliakim to go ask a Melkite Bishop.

He went to a Maronite instead.

One cannot, unless they delude themselves, deny that the Melkites and the Orthodox agree on doctrinal ideas (dormition, theosis, ancestral sin, etc).

There is no submitting to Rome. Eastern Catholics do not submit to Rome. They submit to their Patriarchs, who are in communion with Rome. 

Edited by Selah

Lulz My dads side of the family is Melkite and my mom's is Maronite. I asked my mom and she said she believes in the immaculate conception. Explain that, salad.

*facepalm*

you said your mom is a Maronite. Maronites believe in the Immaculate Conception. Melkites do not. 

Maronites used to reject the Immaculate Conception, but after the Latinization, they were forced to accept it.

/repeatsherselffortheeleventyethtime

*facepalm*

you said your mom is a Maronite. Maronites believe in the Immaculate Conception. Melkites do not. 

Maronites used to reject the Immaculate Conception, but after the Latinization, they were forced to accept it.

/repeatsherselffortheeleventyethtime

Now, is this the official position of the Melkite Church, with the Patriarch's approval, or is it what some Melkites say (or worse, is it what the Melkite blogosphere says :) )?

Simply put, yes.

There is no require. Rome doesn't get to tell the East what to do. It's not the big brother of Catholicism. There is no allow, no require. The East has its traditions, and the West has theirs. 

Now, is this the official position of the Melkite Church, with the Patriarch's approval, or is it what some Melkites say (or worse, is it what the Melkite blogosphere says :) )?

This is getting tiring. And I am losing what little patience I have left.

Go through the thread and read what I have wrote, as well as the links I have posted. Go talk to Melkites, go ask questions of their Bishops. 

There is no require. Rome doesn't get to tell the East what to do. It's not the big brother of Catholicism. There is no allow, no require. The East has its traditions, and the West has theirs. 

But does it get more "primus inter pares" than a big brother? :)

http://www.mliles.com/melkite/theotokosminorconception.shtml

From the site:

Melkite Greek Catholic Church Information Center is an unofficial Melkite Greek Catholic Web site and has not been reviewed or approved by any Melkite clergy person.

https://melkite.org/tag/conception-of-the-theotokos

Hardly a rejection of the Immaculate Conception. More an explanation of why it's not mentioned in Byzantine theology.

But does it get more "primus inter pares" than a big brother? :)

The Pope is not viewed the same in the Melkite Church. He is the first among equals, but infallibility and supremecy are rejected. 

I honestly would have thought that you, being an Eastern Catholic, would be a little more aware of what the Eastern Churches taught. Even though Melkite does not equal Byzantine, and you may not be Melkite yourself, I would have thought you would have done at least a little research into the matter. 

Being unofficial does not change it from being what is taught. The Melkites do not accept the Immaculate conception because their view on sin is different from the West's view. 

I honestly would have thought that you, being an Eastern Catholic, would be a little more aware of what the Eastern Churches taught. Even though Melkite does not equal Byzantine, and you may not be Melkite yourself, I would have thought you would have done at least a little research into the matter. 

Because ad hominems solve everything.

http://www.stpeterslist.com/7796/6-things-you-should-know-about-the-melkite-catholic-church/

"I believe in everything the Orthodox Church teaches. I am in communion with the Bishop of Rome, in the limits recognized as the first among the Bishops by the holy fathers of the East during the First Millenium, before the seperation" - Archbishop Elias Zoghby

Because ad hominems solve everything.

"I am losing the debate, better call the person ad hominem. lulz"

Edited by Selah