An Old School Catholic Message Board

convent cake thread

vee

sr.christinaosf

Maybe a little too sweet - thanks for the thought.  I do have a coffee cake recipe that I've used with peaches, apples, and rhubarb.  I wonder if that would work with the pie filling.  I found a couple other recipes too now.  Some call for cinnamon but I don't really like that idea with lemon.

I'll be making a cookie salad for the parish picnic later in the week.  We had some fudge stripe cookies that got warm and melty in the pantry and broke so it will work well for the cookie salad.  

Edited by sr.christinaosf

Well its not a breakfast pastry or cake but these sounds delish and make about 2 dozen

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/luscious-lemon-bars

This lemon bread sounds good too but doesnt include pie filling in the ingredients.  Maybe it could work as a thinned out glaze on that, or make danishes and put it as the filling.. mmmmm lemon...

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/lemon-tea-bread

sr.christinaosf

It ended up that we had two tubes of biscuits in the fridge that also needed to be used up so I made lemon-filled Danish rolls.  

In Communities where the nuns/Religious Sisters wear a crown of thorns for profession, it is usually only for the service, and perhaps the reception after. However, I'm pretty sure I've read of at least one Community/Order(?) where the Sister wears the crown of thorns for three days (to symbolize Christ's time in the tomb). I'm sure sleeping with the crown is uncomfortable, but it is only for a short period. Note: I don't remember which one Community or Communities wear/wore a crown of thorns for three days--I'm sure it can be found by an Internet search if you are interested.

Also, notice that three of the four Sisters are wearing the crown of thorns further back on their head, so while it may be uncomfortable, it isn't directly touching their skin. In any case, when the crown of thorns is part of the profession ceremony, it is primarily intended to be a symbol, not an actual penitential practice. I'm pretty sure this is a solemn profession since the Sister on the far right in the picture is wearing a ring on her left ring finger. Based on the habit, these are Dominican nuns. As far as I know (and Sister Mary Catharine please correct me), but wearing a crown of thorns at solemn profession is not a universal, or (I think) even a typical Dominican practice. However, there are variations among Dominican Communities. In contrast, as far as I know, wearing a crown of thorns is standard at profession for Passionist nuns (although, off the top of my head, I can't remember if this is at first profession or solemn profession (or both). I also remember seeing pictures of other nuns/Religious Sisters wearing a crown of thorns at profession, but I can't remember right now which Orders or Communities. (I'm sure it can be easily searched.)

Sisters of the Spiritual Family "The Work" wear some crown of thorns with their choir dresses (i. e. for solemn liturgy):

http://www.newliturgicalmovement.org/2009/08/spiritual-family-work-bishop-of.html#.VaQWpfmDmSo

There's no cake picture among the photos, but you may be sure that the sisters had a beautiful one.

Im slacking in my thread!

P1070652_2.jpg

From the PCPAs in Arizona

WOW!

The Camilliani celebrate Sister Candida Bellotti's 107th birthday.

248bf6d09751e90471da3cf4e641b7f5.jpg

sr.christinaosf

I can't do any baking lately...it's too hot and humid :(  I did make a cookie salad for the parish picnic last week. 

The way it happened was....

It is a potluck where everyone is supposed to bring a 'salad' or dessert, based on last name.  (A-L was dessert; M-Z salad and our last names were in the former category)  )A lot of the ingredients for a cookie salad were around and needed to be used up. (e.g., we had fudge stripe cookies that got warm and stuck together, we had a can of mandarin oranges and one of pineapple that weren't getting used)

Half of it went, but the other half came back home with us (6 servings worth) .  Then the other sisters here left town and I didn't know how to use it before it went bad...So I asked in the main residents dining room and they said they would serve it - I was happy to have it off my hands. 

Sister Christina M. Neumann
https://ourfranciscanfiat.wordpress.com

Edited by sr.christinaosf

sr.christinaosf

So now we got 2-3 gallons of fresh raspberries donated.  I think some of them would make a delicious raspberry coffee cake.

sr.christinaosf

They're getting a bit soft, so I'm thinking coffee cake, raspberry muffins.  I'll probably freeze them and wait 'til it cools off or I work the night shift and then bake some.  We still have some of the rhubarb coffee cake left in the freezer.  

Any other ideas?

sr.christinaosf

Good idea...we're even thinking of making raspberry cheesecake for our day of the celebration for St. Anne.  For popsicles, do you just use ice cube trays?