An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wearing Veils In Mass.

DiscerningSoul

laetitia crucis

[quote name='brightsadness' date='24 January 2010 - 04:09 PM' timestamp='1264363761' post='2043617']
I thought of you this morning at Divine Liturgy. Happy to know it went well. The feeling of shared intimacy with other women who cover is something. We are linked to a deep tradition of modesty and faithfulness.
[/quote]

:grouphug: Thank you so much, brightsadness!

[quote name='brightsadness' date='24 January 2010 - 04:43 PM' timestamp='1264365791' post='2043641']
[url="http://www.benedictinenuns.org.uk/pages/partyphotos_files/page7-1015-full.html"]
[/url]

I could not resist.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/caption_cool.gif[/img]

[url="http://www.benedictinenuns.org.uk/pages/partyphotos_files/page7-1015-full.html"][img]http://www.benedictinenuns.org.uk/pages/partyphotos_files/page7-1015-thumb.jpg[/img][/url]
[/quote]

That is too funny! I wonder if you can find some of that "Veil Ale" around these neck of the woods... :detective:
[IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/veilale.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by laetitia crucis

DiscerningSoul

Sorry no 'veil ale' allowed in this post . . . LOL

I wore my veil and a skirt to boot!

Edited by DiscerningSoul

For any girls here who maybe are shy about veiling, etc., remember that no matter the criticism you may face (and probably you will face some) there are people who would be thrilled about the decision to veil. As a guy, personally, I feel a huge amount of respect and gratitude when I see women with their traditional veils. Gratitude because I know those people are representing in a very tangible way our attitudes of reverence and worship. Especially the younger women who obviously weren't raised in an environment where that is the norm. There are people who appreciate it. :))

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='24 January 2010 - 11:32 AM' timestamp='1264350737' post='2043424']
So, I went to my first veiled Sunday Mass this morning and what did my eyes behold?

In the front pew, there was not one, but THREE ladies (that I know without a doubt I've never seen before) wearing white chapel veils!

(Or perhaps they've been there all this time and just decided to bust out their veils by the promptings of the Holy Spirit? :detective: )

I'm sure you can imagine my shock and, yes, awe in the goodness of our God. What a most surprising and unexpected consolation! :love:

Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

:kitten:

God never ceases to amaze me in His love.
[/quote]

Wow that is amazing! Congratulations on finding a veil and actually wearing it.:)

[quote name='SstrAli' date='24 January 2010 - 04:29 PM' timestamp='1264372156' post='2043714']
I always wondered what guys thought of it . . . if it was a distraction to them or what. . .
[/quote]
The people who will be distracted are the people whose attention is not particularly centered on the Mass to begin with. In my opinion. Call it a "holy distraction"; they'll go from daydreaming to wondering "what exactly is that lacy tablecloth for?" and then they might actually start to figure some stuff out.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='24 January 2010 - 06:05 PM' timestamp='1264374354' post='2043742']
The people who will be distracted are the people whose attention is not particularly centered on the Mass to begin with. In my opinion. Call it a "holy distraction"; they'll go from daydreaming to wondering "what exactly is that lacy tablecloth for?" and then they might actually start to figure some stuff out.
[/quote]

Thanks for this little tidbit. I bet most do wonder. . . why is that person wearing a veil.

[quote name='SstrAli' date='25 January 2010 - 03:56 PM' timestamp='1264456604' post='2044359']
Thanks for this little tidbit. I bet most do wonder. . . why is that person wearing a veil.
[/quote]
I hope that in my lifetime we get to a time where any young girl (and, really, any female in our Church) who wants to veil may do so with no fear of ridicule or criticism. :)

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='26 January 2010 - 06:55 PM' timestamp='1264546543' post='2045211']
I hope that in my lifetime we get to a time where any young girl (and, really, any female in our Church) who wants to veil may do so with no fear of ridicule or criticism. :)
[/quote]

I think for a long time I just didn't even know wearing a veil was something we [i]could [/i]do -- or that any else even did anymore. I had never seen anyone veil until... :think: ... probably after I entered the convent and while there, I saw young women visit that occasionally wore them. I always thought it was really neat, kind of like a novelty. Or I probably assumed they were [i]really [/i]traditional homeschoolers.

After leaving the convent, the first time I really saw people wear the chapel veil on a regular basis was when I visited the Franciscans of the Immaculate last summer at the parish next to their convent ([url="http://www.saintanthonynewbedford.com"]St. Anthony of Padua[/url] -- which is GORGEOUS, by the way. Check out their [url="http://www.saintanthonynewbedford.com/images/virtualtour.html"]virtual tour[/url].) and at the friar's chapel in downtown New Bedford. I wore my white chapel veil while visiting them and that won me over. (Though I must admit, it was MUCH easier to wear the chapel veil when you're with veiled Sisters and their white-chapel-veil-wearing aspirants/postulants. ;) ) Yet, being back at my own parish, having to veil in white was my main concern not because of the possible ridicule or criticism, but because I just didn't want to draw any distracted attention to myself. :covereyes:

Anyhoo... other than this past Sunday's somewhat miraculous chapel-veil-sighting, I haven't seen anyone wear one before. Sometimes I just wonder if others were like me -- totally oblivious to the option to veil at Mass. (I mean, for the longest time I didn't even know that we could receive Jesus on the tongue -- blessed be God for my visit to the CFRs four years ago! After I came home from that visit I told my friends about it -- then we would practice giving each other "communion" with small crackers... :lol: Really, after only receiving Jesus on the hand, I found it somewhat awkward to switch to tongue... :saint: )

I started wearing a chapel veil right after I left the monastery, so at first I already felt like everyone was staring at me... so the veil itself didn't make me feel awkward, but just not wearing the habit at all felt weird to me.

Although like a week later I was visiting a different parish, and the people kept assuming I was a sister because I was wearing one. That was a little awkward.

One time a lady came up to me to ask where I got it while I was praying the stations of the cross. A few ladies have started wearing them... whether or not it had anything to do with seeing someone else with one, I don't know.

[quote name='zunshynn' date='26 January 2010 - 06:27 PM' timestamp='1264548478' post='2045236']

One time a lady came up to me to ask where I got it while I was praying the stations of the cross. A few ladies have started wearing them... whether or not it had anything to do with seeing someone else with one, I don't know.
[/quote]

Seeing you probably helped them make up their minds God just gave you the grace and courage to go first.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='26 January 2010 - 05:55 PM' timestamp='1264546543' post='2045211']
I hope that in my lifetime we get to a time where any young girl (and, really, any female in our Church) who wants to veil may do so with no fear of ridicule or criticism. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Wouldn't this be great?!

I still have not gained the courage and I have yet to buy a chapel veil - please pray for this!

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='SstrAli' date='26 January 2010 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1264552336' post='2045288']
Wouldn't this be great?!

I still have not gained the courage and I have yet to buy a chapel veil - please pray for this!
[/quote]

I haven't worn my new one yet, would you like it?

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='26 January 2010 - 06:23 PM' timestamp='1264548199' post='2045235']
I think for a long time I just didn't even know wearing a veil was something we [i]could [/i]do -- or that any else even did anymore. [/quote]

Me too! I thought the only time a woman or girl wore a veil in church was for her First Communion, and on her wedding day. Thats it. No more no less.

[quote] (I mean, for the longest time I didn't even know that we could receive Jesus on the tongue -- blessed be God for my visit to the CFRs four years ago! After I came home from that visit I told my friends about it -- then we would practice giving each other "communion" with small crackers... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif[/img] Really, after only receiving Jesus on the hand, I found it somewhat awkward to switch to tongue... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img] )
[/quote]

I think my Mom told me once at some point, in a rather hushed voice IIRC, that we could receive on the tongue but I never did until I was forced to. Around three years ago I was in Washington DC and got food poisoning so due to that had to hold every handrail in the city just to make it down any set of stairs I was so weak. I was determind to go to Mass at the BNIC though which I made it to but with no chance to wash my hands they were filthy. I wasnt about to receive Jesus on such hands so I said here goes nothing and received on the tongue. Something changed in me at that point and Ive been receiving that way ever since.

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' date='26 January 2010 - 07:43 PM' timestamp='1264553026' post='2045298']
I haven't worn my new one yet, would you like it?
[/quote]

I would be honored to have it . . . I tried to send you a PM but said that I couldn't.

Let me know your email address and I'll give you my snail mail.

An angel from heaven truly. . .

The reason I haven't gotten a veil yet is because when I entered the Monastery 2 years ago I gave up everything I had and have no money to buy one.

Oh gosh - I'm so excited and scared at the same time, because once i receive it I have to veil!

Ahhhhh!! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]