An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wearing Veils In Mass.

DiscerningSoul

The first time I veiled was at a daily Mass (N.O. rite) where a few women already veiled so I stood out much less. The first time I wore it around my mom (last Good Friday), it was a little uncomfortable because she asked why I was veiling (she's a product of Vat. 2 controversy). I didn't have a good explanation other than I wanted to, but about a month later, a woman who also veiled in Church asked me what my reason was out of curiosity and at that time I understood St. Paul's message of women veiling in Church. I also thought it beautiful to veil because when the Tabernacle is opened, there is a veil partition. If Jesus is veiled, why shouldn't I be? ;)

I'm looking, however, to buy a kerchief wrap from Headcoverings by Devorah or a crocheted cap to wear every Sunday. My aunt, who we attend Church with, is very nosy and picky and although I want to veil, I don't like answering her questions because she gets mad if I can't explain it to suit her. :(

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

Just ordered a denim scarfe that can be tied right back behind the neck from Headcoverings by Devorah completely on impulse and my first online successful purchase - saw another post from someone who mentioned the site. Haven't worn a veil to Mass in years. The scarfe I ordered has a nice casual look with the tied back effect, since veils here in Australia seem to be non existent, well I certainly have not seen one in many a year - older women sometimes (rare) wear hats. I'm always in denim - stock standard full stop and took sewing lessons so I can make denim outfits myself - cheap, easily laundered and mended, patched, long lasting - except if I am going somewhere that asks something a bit more dressy, then I have clothing for those venues - most all bought secondhand or pre-loved as we call it here.
If anyone should ask, which I tend to doubt: "I want to".

Barb
Edit: Just noticed MaterMisericordiae - it was your post I saw mentioning Headcoverings by Devorah. Thank you for the 'nudge'!

Edited by BarbaraTherese

[quote name='SstrAli' date='27 January 2010 - 11:20 AM' timestamp='1264553427' post='2045308']

The reason I haven't gotten a veil yet is because when I entered the Monastery 2 years ago I gave up everything I had and have no money to buy one.

Oh gosh - I'm so excited and scared at the same time, because once i receive it I have to veil!

Ahhhhh!! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]
[/quote]

That really and truly touched my heart, SStrAli - rest assured as I'm sure you do that The Lord will care for you and provide in every way............and looks as if He already has begun and through the loving generosity one of His own and an angel (DiscerningSoul) and I hope that your veil will arrive speedily and all concerns re wearing it will vanish with the joy of wearing a veil again.

God bless you both and keep you.........Barb

Edited by BarbaraTherese

[quote name='SstrAli' date='27 January 2010 - 07:15 PM' timestamp='1264637726' post='2046099']
Lol . . . I promise once I receive it I'll wear it. I'll try my best to get a picture and post it - if I can get it to work!
[/quote]
I think it would be so much easier for me if I knew someone who also wanted to veil and we could go together. Sstr Ali, maybe we live in the same town and just don't know it. :))

[quote name='BarbaraTherese' date='28 January 2010 - 08:30 AM' timestamp='1264685421' post='2046364']
That really and truly touched my heart, SStrAli - rest assured as I'm sure you do that The Lord will care for you and provide in every way............and looks as if He already has begun and through the loving generosity one of His own and an angel (DiscerningSoul) and I hope that your veil will arrive speedily and all concerns re wearing it will vanish with the joy of wearing a veil again.

God bless you both and keep you.........Barb
[/quote]

Glad that I could inspire you! The Lord has and does and continues to take good care of me. . . many graces abound!

I just happen to know DiscerningSoul in person too! I will veil as soon as I receive it - although I will be VERY scared :)

Allie

[quote name='Kathgirl' date='28 January 2010 - 11:40 AM' timestamp='1264696830' post='2046456']
I think it would be so much easier for me if I knew someone who also wanted to veil and we could go together. Sstr Ali, maybe we live in the same town and just don't know it. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/D.gif[/img]
[/quote]

It would be much easier for me too, but hey I'm gonna veil anyways as soon as I receive it!

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='SstrAli' date='28 January 2010 - 07:34 PM' timestamp='1264721647' post='2046728']
Glad that I could inspire you! The Lord has and does and continues to take good care of me. . . many graces abound!

I just happen to know DiscerningSoul in person too! I will veil as soon as I receive it - although I will be VERY scared :)

Allie
[/quote]
Don't worry Allie, your talking to the queen of fear! I was scared of veiling too, I got over it, and I will prevail at God's calling also! :saint:

[quote name='DiscerningSoul' date='28 January 2010 - 07:08 PM' timestamp='1264723681' post='2046742']
Don't worry Allie, your talking to the queen of fear! I was scared of veiling too, I got over it, and I will prevail at God's calling also! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I think the more times I do it the less nerve racking it will get.

DiscerningSoul

[quote name='SstrAli' date='28 January 2010 - 08:37 PM' timestamp='1264725439' post='2046767']
I think the more times I do it the less nerve racking it will get.
[/quote]
You'll soon feel naked with out it.

princessgianna

I have one...I wore it for a year and a half. Right now though I am in limbo. I want to wear it with the right intentions and I was afraid that I was wearing it for the wrong reasons so I stopped. :mellow:

I am sure eventually I will continue though...

[quote name='princessgianna' date='29 January 2010 - 12:01 AM' timestamp='1264741277' post='2047072']
I have one...I wore it for a year and a half. Right now though I am in limbo. I want to wear it with the right intentions and I was afraid that I was wearing it for the wrong reasons so I stopped. :mellow:

I am sure eventually I will continue though...
[/quote]

Veils always make a girl look more beautiful, though I'm not sure if it's possible for you to look prettier than you already are. :saint:

princessgianna

[quote name='Resurrexi' date='29 January 2010 - 12:30 AM' timestamp='1264743018' post='2047096']
Veils always make a girl look more beautiful, though I'm not sure if it's possible for you to look prettier than you already are. :saint:
[/quote]
aww thanks! :D

Who gave you that -1? :blink:

[quote name='HisChildForever' date='29 January 2010 - 12:41 AM' timestamp='1264743708' post='2047102']
I cancelled out the negative for him.
[/quote]

Thank you, HCF! :)