An Old School Catholic Message Board

Wearing Veils In Mass.

DiscerningSoul

MargaretTeresa

I don't veil currently. Since I'm graduating/moving soon, I figure I will start then. That way i can just start off being known as the crazy girl who's going to end up an old cat lady. Or nun. :P

TheresaThoma

I wear a veil at Mass and it has surprised me how others react. I get a few odd looks but I have had a couple of people who I don't know come up to me, compliment me on my veil and tell me how happy they are to see veiling coming back.

Pax_et bonum

I wore my veil to Mass for the first time last night :o No one said anything, though I had to run at the end to be somewhere, but I'll see if my priest says anything tonight at youth group. I asked God for consolations for my first veiled Mass which He granted--I felt like a bride :love:

Archaeology cat

Yesterday someone complimented my headscarf after Mass. I kinda laughed and said thanks, as I'm not used to people commenting. Nice that it was a compliment, though.

we have a couple of older ladies who wear veils but yesterday a young woman, about 20ish, came into the adoration chapel with a small veil. I thought it was very nice. I've thought about wearing one during adoration, it just seems appropriate

I have worn a black mantilla twice to a Traditional Latin Rite Mass at our town's cathedral now and I have to say it has been a major distraction for me. The first time I had to actually pin it in several places onto a black headband so it would stay on my head. The second time I just wore it like it was and again it slipped off CONSTANTLY, and while my hair is very long it's not especially sleek or straight. I know people use combs but I'm not sure how--or where--to sew one in.

Also I was wondering--I can see why a young girl with lovely long uncovered hair would be a distraction for the males--but what about the older ladies (I am 48), or those who for whatever reason are just not likely to drive anyone mad with desire no matter what they wear or don't wear on their heads. I mean, if the purpose is to avoid diverting the thoughts of wandering male minds, would there be a point when it might be.....pointless? Or are we doing it more as a "showing submission" thing?

[quote name='Zenith15' timestamp='1333247914' post='2411348']
I have worn a black mantilla twice to a Traditional Latin Rite Mass at our town's cathedral now and I have to say it has been a major distraction for me. The first time I had to actually pin it in several places onto a black headband so it would stay on my head. The second time I just wore it like it was and again it slipped off CONSTANTLY, and while my hair is very long it's not especially sleek or straight. I know people use combs but I'm not sure how--or where--to sew one in.
[/quote]
I find that bobby pins (or combs, clips) are a requirement for wearing a veil in church, unless you tie it smugly around the chin, which I sometimes do.

JessicaKoch

I have rather thin hair and any veil I would waer would fall off with the slightest bow, but two bobby pins do great a great job.
I have everything in a plastic bag that I keep in the car, so I never forget my veil!

Ahhhh the bobby pin! I remember my mom setting her hair in pincurls with those when she could not afford a "permanent". THat's a good idea! Thanks!

JessicaKoch

so much for the plastic bag, that bit the dust, so a small cosmedic bag is my veils new home when not on my head. :)

Strictlyinkblot

Also I was wondering--I can see why a young girl with lovely long uncovered hair would be a distraction for the males--but what about the older ladies (I am 48), or those who for whatever reason are just not likely to drive anyone mad with desire no matter what they wear or don't wear on their heads. I mean, if the purpose is to avoid diverting the thoughts of wandering male minds, would there be a point when it might be.....pointless? Or are we doing it more as a "showing submission" thing?
[/quote]

I wear a small head covering that I tie at the back of my head that I got from Headcoverings by Devorah. The website is [url="http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com/Headcoverings_Scarves.htm"]http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com[/url]

As regards why veiling, I don't do it to show submission except to God. Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm pretty feisty. I do it because of what Paul says in the New Testament. I found it really hard to wear in the beginning, I was convinced everyone was looking at me. No one has ever said anything to me about it. I haven't quite gotten up the courage to wear it when I go to mass with my mother. After being forced to wear a mantilla until Vatican 2 she has very definite ideas about veiling, none of them good.

[/quote]

For me, veiling isn't about wandering male minds at all. If they're going to be distracted by my hair then there's something wrong with them, it's only hair. I veil as a sign of submission to God and a sign of humility before Him. It's not for anyone else, it's for God.

[quote name='Strictlyinkblot' timestamp='1333438636' post='2412239']
I wear a small head covering that I tie at the back of my head that I got from Headcoverings by Devorah. The website is [url="http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com/Headcoverings_Scarves.htm"]http://www.headcoverings-by-devorah.com[/url]

As regards why veiling, I don't do it to show submission except to God. Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm pretty feisty. I do it because of what Paul says in the New Testament. I found it really hard to wear in the beginning, I was convinced everyone was looking at me. No one has ever said anything to me about it. I haven't quite gotten up the courage to wear it when I go to mass with my mother. After being forced to wear a mantilla until Vatican 2 she has very definite ideas about veiling, none of them good.
[/quote]

She might come round. I had some very negative ideas about veiling after being pretty much forced to cover when I lived in the Middle East. To me, veiling was synonymous with that oppression of women and avoiding men leering at me. It took a lot of prayer and a lot of seeing the good examples of others but I got there.

AuthorOfMyLife

This is a great topic! My mother and sisters and I have worn veils for years. We were influenced by a woman who came to our parish briefly, but we continued after she left. My sisters and I, being unmarried, wear white veils. My mother wears a black veil.

I will say that I am very, very shy. I don't like to draw attention to myself (except in the case of standing up for the True Faith--because then I'm not representing ME but the Truth!). The first time I wore my veil was at my Confirmation. All the students had to wear red, and I did wear a red dress, but then I just wore my white veil, too. I pin it with bobby pins (it is a mantilla-like, long-ish veil), and since I have long, long hair it stays on just fine. Anyway, I was very nervous (but more nervous about the Confirmation things and not making any mistakes), but I was very happy to have the privilege to wear the veil. After that, I just kept wearing it. I guess people were curious, but they didn't really ask any questions. I have "explained the veil" maybe two or three times at my parish (and sometimes at other parishes, when my family and I were providing music for funerals, etc.). I guess people don't want to ask about it! They may just figure it is a "traditional thing"--because my sisters and mother and I also just wear skirts to Mass.

As far as when to wear it--I just wear it anytime I'm in the church, doing anything. When we visit neighboring parishes for funerals, etc. we wear our veils anyway. I don't like being stared at, and I certainly do get self-conscious and shy about it, but I figure that I can stand feeling uncomfortable for something that is a great way to witness to others that God's House is worth respecting. Now, since I have been discerning, I love wearing a veil even more. I feel like I should be able to stand the veil-related shyness--especially if I want to wear a HABIT someday! I know people are not always thrilled to see real habits anymore!

I think all of you who are starting to wear the veil are so brave and beautiful! I know that in many parishes it is a real sacrifice to take such a step. For myself, I'm so used to it now, and my parish is so used to it, it's like no one notices!

God bless you all!