An Old School Catholic Message Board

What City, State Do You Live In?

Thy Geekdom Come

laetitia crucis

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' date='03 May 2010 - 12:42 AM' timestamp='1272858138' post='2103995']
I'm kind of a lazy talker, so I say "Lou-ah-vul," but over the phone (I work in a call center) I go for more like "Loueyville" so it doesn't sound so much like a mumble. :)

What parish do you attend? I know a priest and couple of deacons down in Radcliff.
[/quote]

:lol: You probably know my priest and deacons then -- at St. Christopher's!

The world is getting smaller and smaller every day here at PM. :grouphug:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='03 May 2010 - 02:49 AM' timestamp='1272865780' post='2104087']
Sorry, that pronunciation in unacceptable. :P

(do they still have a list of all the pronunciations at the airport?)[/quote]

Aaahahahaha! :lol: What can I say... when I first moved here I was so adamant about NOT picking up a Kentucky accent. The army brat in me wanted to maintain my non-native-Kentuckian accent. (Actually, I think I speak extremely "General American"... it's hard for people to tell where I'm from in the U.S. But I speak rather quickly, which leads some to believe northeast US. Although I can imitate different accents fairly well. :nerd: ) The only thing I "lost" was the way I say "Sorry". Before it was "sore-ry", now it's "sawry". :hehehe:

You know... :scratchhead: I think they still have that list of pronunciations at the airport! Next time I fly out I'm going to find it and take a picture! :photo:

[quote name='Archaeology cat']I still twitch when I hear Ver-sales, and I was raised in KY.[/quote]

I think going to university in eastern Kentucky kind of helped me to ease my eyes and ears into accepting "Ver-sales". Although if I happen to see the word and immediate read it, it never fails to come out as the French pronunciation. :rolling:

One day a classmate of mine from Pikeville and was talking about "cricks and hollers". She was trying to tell me about where she lived... and I... I had NO idea what she was talking about. :sweat: After at least ten minutes or so of her describing exactly what a "crick" and "holler" were I was finally able to figure out she was talking about... creeks and hollows. :dunce: :duh: :lol:

[quote name='Archaeology cat']That's how I say it.[/quote]

So... do you say "cricks and hollers" as well? :shock:

Edited by laetitia crucis

Archaeology cat

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='03 May 2010 - 02:19 PM' timestamp='1272892778' post='2104145']
Aaahahahaha! :lol: What can I say... when I first moved here I was so adamant about NOT picking up a Kentucky accent. The army brat in me wanted to maintain my non-native-Kentuckian accent. (Actually, I think I speak extremely "General American"... it's hard for people to tell where I'm from in the U.S. But I speak rather quickly, which leads some to believe northeast US. Although I can imitate different accents fairly well. :nerd: ) The only thing I "lost" was the way I say "Sorry". Before it was "sore-ry", now it's "sawry". :hehehe: [/quote]
I've lost some of my KY accent. Until I talk to my cousins, that is, and then it comes back pretty quickly. :lol: Though I still don't get the twang back that I had - lost that before I left KY, actually. ;)

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='03 May 2010 - 02:19 PM' timestamp='1272892778' post='2104145']I think going to university in eastern Kentucky kind of helped me to ease my eyes and ears into accepting "Ver-sales". Although if I happen to see the word and immediate read it, it never fails to come out as the French pronunciation. :rolling:

One day a classmate of mine from Pikeville and was talking about "cricks and hollers". She was trying to tell me about where she lived... and I... I had NO idea what she was talking about. :sweat: After at least ten minutes or so of her describing exactly what a "crick" and "holler" were I was finally able to figure out she was talking about... creeks and hollows. :dunce: :duh: :lol: [/quote]
While I don't say "cricks and hollers", I knew exactly what your friend was talking about. :mellow:

I wish I knew how to transliterate things into IPA, as just writing "Ver-sales" doesn't quite capture the pronunciation. Oh, and yes, I always use the French pronunciation in my head, and cringe a bit when I have to say the KY town instead.

Maybe Kentuckians have weird pronunciations for things in order to immediately identify non-residents. :lol: That goes for street names in cities, too - like Frederica (pronounced "Fred-ruh-kuh") in Owensboro.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' date='03 May 2010 - 10:48 AM' timestamp='1272898106' post='2104165']
I've lost some of my KY accent. Until I talk to my cousins, that is, and then it comes back pretty quickly. :lol: Though I still don't get the twang back that I had - lost that before I left KY, actually. ;)

While I don't say "cricks and hollers", I knew exactly what your friend was talking about. :mellow:

I wish I knew how to transliterate things into IPA, as just writing "Ver-sales" doesn't quite capture the pronunciation. Oh, and yes, I always use the French pronunciation in my head, and cringe a bit when I have to say the KY town instead.

Maybe Kentuckians have weird pronunciations for things in order to immediately identify non-residents. :lol: That goes for street names in cities, too - like Frederica (pronounced "Fred-ruh-kuh") in Owensboro.
[/quote]
I bet Liverpool ironed out the KY real fast :lol:. Next time I'm in KY (if there is a next time. Who knows :rolleyes:) I'ma say Versailles with all the Frankish awe I can muster :P

[quote name='aalpha1989' date='01 May 2010 - 01:42 PM' timestamp='1272746573' post='2103251']
Lenexa, KS
[/quote]
i have family in Manhattan and in Hiawatha, and in Topeka.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' date='01 May 2010 - 05:52 PM' timestamp='1272761551' post='2103386']
Cool map. Calgary, Alberta.
[/quote]
hmmmm :think:

[s]Eyjafjallajökull, Iceland.[/s]

Um. Sequim, Washington, though soon to be Atchison, Kansas, (:woot:) and after that I-don't-know-where.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Revprodeji' date='02 May 2010 - 07:52 PM' timestamp='1272844324' post='2103826']
Owatonna
[/quote]
If I move to MN, I'd live in Iowatonna

:mellow:

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam' date='03 May 2010 - 05:40 PM' timestamp='1272922800' post='2104388']
New Orleans, Louisiana
[/quote]
How is it we've never met up?

Thy Geekdom Come

The demographic center of PM now seems to be somewhere around the Illinois, Iowa, Missouri border.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='Raphael' date='03 May 2010 - 08:48 PM' timestamp='1272930489' post='2104523']
The demographic center of PM now seems to be somewhere around the Illinois, Iowa, Missouri border.
[/quote]

Perhaps this is where we should build the Phatmass Pub. :yes:

:cheers:

Manteca, California ^_^

Yes, I'm from a town called "Lard". Don't judge me.

Edited by zunshynn

let_go_let_God

Oskaloosa, Iowa. I just got here so I'm a bit sad that I can't say Duluth, MN. The best comment to my moving thought was from Bishop Amos, "You don't talk funny eh?"

Now the people I'm living with at the moment are waiting for a moment when I slip into a deep Minnesotan accent.

I think I'm picking up their dialect though, ya'll seems to be coming a huge part of my language now.

God bless-
LGLG

[quote name='let_go_let_God' date='03 May 2010 - 08:35 PM' timestamp='1272933334' post='2104570']
Oskaloosa, Iowa. I just got here so I'm a bit sad that I can't say Duluth, MN. The best comment to my moving thought was from Bishop Amos, "You don't talk funny eh?"

Now the people I'm living with at the moment are waiting for a moment when I slip into a deep Minnesotan accent.

I think I'm picking up their dialect though, ya'll seems to be coming a huge part of my language now.

God bless-
LGLG
[/quote]

You will be surprised just how many Minnesotans, we have here in Osky...