An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

Debra Little

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1299121566' post='2217352']
Does anyone know how those entering into vowed religious life with an order get their names? I have always been a bit curious about that.
[/quote]

In the Discalced Carmelites I think the prioress decides. not sure

TeresaBenedicta

I have spiritual direction tomorrow and I'm not sure what to talk about. There's been nothing pressing, so I've hesitated as long as I could before scheduling... but it's been seven weeks now and I can't really avoid it forever. Say a prayer for me?

LadyOfSorrows

[quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1299192322' post='2217625']
In the Discalced Carmelites I think the prioress decides. not sure
[/quote]

At the monastery I visited, the extern sister told me that she picked three names and one was chosen for her by Mother Prioress :)

OnlySunshine

[quote name='LadyOfSorrows' timestamp='1299199285' post='2217666']
At the monastery I visited, the extern sister told me that she picked three names and one was chosen for her by Mother Prioress :)
[/quote]

Yes, I remember Mother Miriam saying this very thing when I talked to her. Most of the traditional 1990 Carmels do it this way and some 1991s as well. There was a monastery I was in contact with that allowed the candidates to choose their own name, and then one that kept their baptismal names. :)

franciscanheart

[quote name='Deus_te_Amat' timestamp='1299135180' post='2217401']
I have a couple books you could borrow.

(guess who :dance:?)
[/quote]
:huh: Who is emilier? Do I know this person?

[quote name='franciscanheart' timestamp='1299224457' post='2217776']
:huh: Who is emilier? Do I know this person?
[/quote]

No, I do not believe you know me. I do, however, know Deus te Amat and she is amesome!

franciscanheart

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1299225236' post='2217781']
No, I do not believe you know me. I do, however, know Deus te Amat and she is amesome!
[/quote]
Me too :proud: and yes, she is. :like:

TeresaBenedicta

Spiritual direction ended up going extremely well, thanks be to God.

So... a story from today:

My mom woke me up pretty early this morning. I drove her to work so I could have the car today and go to Mass.

During our ride, my mom asks me, “Have you ever heard of… the sisters of life?”

My jaw nearly dropped.

I responded, “Oh! Yeah, they’re in New York!”

Turns out one of the attorneys that my mom works with has a sister who is a Sister of Life! How neat!

My mom even said, “At first I thought it was your Order, but then I noticed that their habits were different!” In a positive tone!!!

And we actually talked about the Sisters of Life for about ten minutes. It was really, really neat. Definitely a positive conversation about religious life, with short, positive, comments about my own vocation. Actually… they entire conversation reminded me of one a supportive, Catholic parent would have with their child.

It was extremely encouraging to me. My mom and I don’t talk about my vocation very often. Usually only when she brings it up. Or I’ll mention when I’ve paid off a loan or have had recent contact with the sisters— just to remind her that it’s my goal right now. But for the most part I let her bring it up if/when she wants to talk about it.

Anyone know how to get in touch with the Congregation of Religious Missionaries of St. Dominic? I tried the email address and phone number listed on the CMSWR website and neither are correct. I found a link for the main website and found a number for them their and that number also does not work. Any help?

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1299454348' post='2218628']
Anyone know how to get in touch with the Congregation of Religious Missionaries of St. Dominic? I tried the email address and phone number listed on the CMSWR website and neither are correct. I found a link for the main website and found a number for them their and that number also does not work. Any help?
[/quote]

Is this the one you tried?
Religious Missionaries Of St. Dominic
Dominican Sisters
2237 Waldron Road
Corpus Christi, TX 78418
(512) 939-8102 and -8203 (fax)

(from op-stjoseph.org)

LadyOfSorrows

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1299274534' post='2217987']
Spiritual direction ended up going extremely well, thanks be to God.

So... a story from today:

My mom woke me up pretty early this morning. I drove her to work so I could have the car today and go to Mass.

During our ride, my mom asks me, "Have you ever heard of… the sisters of life?"

My jaw nearly dropped.

I responded, "Oh! Yeah, they're in New York!"

Turns out one of the attorneys that my mom works with has a sister who is a Sister of Life! How neat!

My mom even said, "At first I thought it was your Order, but then I noticed that their habits were different!" In a positive tone!!!

And we actually talked about the Sisters of Life for about ten minutes. It was really, really neat. Definitely a positive conversation about religious life, with short, positive, comments about my own vocation. Actually… they entire conversation reminded me of one a supportive, Catholic parent would have with their child.

It was extremely encouraging to me. My mom and I don't talk about my vocation very often. Usually only when she brings it up. Or I'll mention when I've paid off a loan or have had recent contact with the sisters— just to remind her that it's my goal right now. But for the most part I let her bring it up if/when she wants to talk about it.
[/quote]

TB, that's so great! What a work of God! :clapping:

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1299457829' post='2218652']
Is this the one you tried?
Religious Missionaries Of St. Dominic
Dominican Sisters
2237 Waldron Road
Corpus Christi, TX 78418
(512) 939-8102 and -8203 (fax)

(from op-stjoseph.org)
[/quote]

I did. The 512 number says it is disconnected.

So, random "God is so good" moment that I have to share!

A year ago, someone asked me if, in a few years when she retired, I would be the chairperson for a program I was involved with. No one else really would have said "yes", so I did. When I started discerning, that became a major concern for me- I really hope for the best for this program and don't want to to see it fall apart. That's been one of my biggest worries about possibly "leaving it all behind" to become a sister. Well, I shouldn't have worried! Yesterday, we had a meeting, and a previous alumnus of the program came back and wants to chair it!!! This means I woudn't be letting the organization down!

God is spoiling me. For real.
Happy day!!!

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1299461334' post='2218670']
[/quote]

Try the contact info at this link:

[url="http://www.cmswr.org/member_communities/CongRelMissStDominic.htm"]http://www.cmswr.org...ssStDominic.htm[/url]

from cmswr.

Sorry, it appears that you have tried that contact info.

You might try calling the diocese of Corpus Christi.

Edited by Yaatee

OnlySunshine

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1299461334' post='2218670']
[/quote]

It appears, from the CMSWR website, that their area code has been changed from 512 to 361. This might be why you cannot contact them. It's the same number, but a different area code! This is their new contact information:

Congregation of the Religious Missionaries of St. Dominic
Vocation Promoter
Address: 2237 Waldron Road, Corpus Christi, TX 78418
Phone: [b]361-939-8102[/b]
Fax: 361-939-8203
e-mail: crmsdsis@swbell.net

Hope you are finally able to call them! :)

edited to add: inclusion of email address

Edited by MaterMisericordiae