An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

LaPetiteSoeur

Thanks for clearing that up.

I too had visions of sisters running down tracks and a giant trophy going to the winner and competing convents. That would be fun, now wouldn't it?

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1305997155' post='2244215']
Thanks for clearing that up.

I too had visions of sisters running down tracks and a giant trophy going to the winner and competing convents. That would be fun, now wouldn't it?
[/quote]

In a way, although I think that 'nun runs' have their purpose, I think that this is sort of what happens...

FutureSister2009

Okay so those of you that have actually applied to Religious Communities. what are the applications like? Is it at all like applying to a college or for a job? Is there some kind of essay question? And how long to they take to tell you if you've been accepted and how far ahead do they set entrance dates?

Lots of questions I know!

faithcecelia

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1306162425' post='2244856']
Okay so those of you that have actually applied to Religious Communities. what are the applications like? Is it at all like applying to a college or for a job? Is there some kind of essay question? And how long to they take to tell you if you've been accepted and how far ahead do they set entrance dates?

Lots of questions I know!

[/quote]

I get the impression its different in the UK, but when I 'formally' applied to my old community they laughed as they had taken it for granted I was going to enter there! My date was set over a year ahead but that was because I was in debt, the novice who entered after me was in within 3mths of her live-in and 6mths of her first enquiry.

When I visited Kirk Edge last week it was again quite clear I was welcome to enter and could have done so pretty much immediately.

FutureSister2009

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1306180729' post='2244998']
I get the impression its different in the UK, but when I 'formally' applied to my old community they laughed as they had taken it for granted I was going to enter there! My date was set over a year ahead but that was because I was in debt, the novice who entered after me was in within 3mths of her live-in and 6mths of her first enquiry.

When I visited Kirk Edge last week it was again quite clear I was welcome to enter and could have done so pretty much immediately.
[/quote]

But what I really want to know is what the application itself is like?

SevenSwans

[quote name='CherieMadame' timestamp='1275320338' post='2121175']

And some men's communities:

[url="http://www.carmelitemonks.org/"]Carmelite Monks of Wyoming[/url]

[/quote]

I love the Carmelite Monks of Wyoming! I hope their building is going well. I buy coffee from them sometimes. :)

FutureSister2009

Can somebody give me an answer as to what applications look like when you apply to join a community??????? I still don't have an answer!

AccountDeleted

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1306423350' post='2246210']
Can somebody give me an answer as to what applications look like when you apply to join a community??????? I still don't have an answer!
[/quote]

That's probably because it depends on what community you are applying to and what country they are in! :P

Why don't you ask your community to send you one of theirs so you can see what it's like??

faithcecelia

[/quote]

The only thing I had to do, which actually took place a few days after I entered, was sign a form stating that I had entered of my own free will, that I knew I would recieve no payment for any work I did, and that should I suffer an injury I would make no claim against them. This was witnessed by an auditor who happened to be there that day, if she hadn't been then I suspect it would have been done in the parlour with a parishioner as witness.

I also had to take with me my birth certificate, baptism certificate (or in my case letter from the minister who baptised me) and a copy of the parish records when I was recieved into the church (would have been confirmation certificate had I been a cradle catholic), together with a letter from my GP confirming I had good physical and mental health.

TeresaBenedicta

[/quote]

My application was a phone call. :blush:

There were a series of questions about my childhood, medical history, discernment, my intention for entering... It was all quite simple, actually. Done over the phone.

A few days later I got a call back that said things were good to go. :like:

There might yet be more... I'm not sure. Perhaps a psych test? Doctor visits? I don't know yet, since I don't have entrance date set-up. God-willing, my loans will be all taken care of soon and I will know!

FutureSister2009

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1306424766' post='2246221']
My application was a phone call. :blush:

There were a series of questions about my childhood, medical history, discernment, my intention for entering... It was all quite simple, actually. Done over the phone.

A few days later I got a call back that said things were good to go. :like:

There might yet be more... I'm not sure. Perhaps a psych test? Doctor visits? I don't know yet, since I don't have entrance date set-up. God-willing, my loans will be all taken care of soon and I will know!
[/quote]

Thank you for answering. Would you mind giving me an example of what the childhood questions were like?

MargaretTeresa

Now this stuff is information!! :smile4:

I am praying for all you getting ready to enter. It's the best thing I can do since it will be a while for me.

Pax and God bless.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1306432149' post='2246261']
Thank you for answering. Would you mind giving me an example of what the childhood questions were like?
[/quote]

It was pretty general... I think she just said, "Tell me about your childhood." So I talked about where I grew up, how many siblings I had, my parents & how family life was, sports, and the family 'philosophy' that I grew up with. That kind of stuff.

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1306441979' post='2246331']
It was pretty general... I think she just said, "Tell me about your childhood." So I talked about where I grew up, how many siblings I had, my parents & how family life was, sports, and the family 'philosophy' that I grew up with. That kind of stuff.
[/quote]

Heh. I would never get accepted into a community if it was 75% based on childhood questions, especially talking about family life.

faithcecelia

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1306443873' post='2246339']
Heh. I would never get accepted into a community if it was 75% based on childhood questions, especially talking about family life.
[/quote]

Soooo true for me too! My mother has severe psychiactric issues and has had for nearly 30yrs, and my brother has ADD and tourettes. I went to 8 different schools and was never a Brownie. i would have had no chance :blush: