An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

TeresaBenedicta

Frustrated.

Things are going crazy at the parish. And for the first time... I don't really feel like being there any more. And my enjoyment of being there is what has made this waiting bearable.

I just want to go. To enter. I'm 22. I've lived a year in the real world, a year for which I am certainly grateful. But I want to go.

Nothing satiates me here. I went out to a bar last night with a friend. It was a neat place- it was an old school converted into a huge hotel with multiple, themed bars. We went to the "Honors Lounge", which was a small, cozy place that played classical music. We had a few drinks, talked, ate avvesome tator tots...

It was a good time. But it still felt empty.

I'm done with all of this. Done. Done. DONE.

:blink:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1306515142' post='2246786']
Frustrated.

Things are going crazy at the parish. And for the first time... I don't really feel like being there any more. And my enjoyment of being there is what has made this waiting bearable.

I just want to go. To enter. I'm 22. I've lived a year in the real world, a year for which I am certainly grateful. But I want to go.

Nothing satiates me here. I went out to a bar last night with a friend. It was a neat place- it was an old school converted into a huge hotel with multiple, themed bars. We went to the "Honors Lounge", which was a small, cozy place that played classical music. We had a few drinks, talked, ate avvesome tator tots...

It was a good time. But it still felt empty.

I'm done with all of this. Done. Done. DONE.

:blink:
[/quote]

I can't imagine what it is like to be on the verge and have something holding you back from what you really desire. I experienced a little of this, but nothing like what you are going through. It's times like these where it's difficult to remember that God has a good reason for making you wait. He wouldn't do it if He didn't think you could learn something. I hope that you find the money to pay off your debts soon so that you can enter. It's wonderful to see how zealous you are to serve Our Lord. :like:

InPersonaChriste

[quote name='JTheresa' timestamp='1275369914' post='2121952']
i cant handle it!!!! im dying out here!!!! Must... go... to... convent!!!! Ahhh!!!

I would like to see how everyone else is getting along in this area. For me its quite the struggle. Hardly any of my family or friends feel the same way about God and religion as I do anymore. They're still good Catholics, but it's still so... different. It so hard to explain. So many things that I'm used to doing with them seem pointless right now in the greater scheme of what I'm called to do and I feel like I'm wasting time until I can begin formation.

I don't know. My thinking is kinda muddy right now. Guess my brain needs a bath. Anyone interested in spotaneous brain surgery? Maybe we could go on a spree and just randomly start implanting vocations into peoples minds (figuratively speaking of course).
[/quote]

I think that I am doing okay. It is just hard because the nuns do not respond very fast and I have to exercise a lot of patience. I am afraid that my Lord is asking me to not only wait 3 more years, but go to Chile of all things.. Well I think my patience meter with explode!

Spontaneous brain surgery? I dont know.. Would you like to be paralyzed in your left side? Because I think I would work on the syncronized part of things..

I think Implanting vocations (inception.. hahaha) is like feeding random people blessed salt.. The church wont look upon it to kindly haha...

MargaretTeresa

I still have at least 2 years before I can join a community. However, I know that this time will be great for maturing my prayer life. Especially contemplative prayer. Speaking of which, you can always contact me if you need extra prayer. :)

It's very annoying having to wait and wait and wait until I hear back from communities. I have nothing but time BUT I really want to learn about them!

FutureSister2009

Fortunately I was a Brownie for a few years! :dance:

And I do feel glad that I'm not the only one who has to wait for this. It just burns in my heart every single day and it just gets worse as I go along. But I guess in a sense its good for me to really think about why I truly want to enter. It's just the empty space in my life that has been there for so long and now I know what it is that will fill it and I want to fill it up. It's the missing piece of the puzzle.

I think that one good outcome for me by waiting a year is knowing that my good friend will be taking her final vows next year. I do not know when exactly she will be doing it but I hope that if I really have to wait a year, maybe I'll be over there to see her take her final vows as I take my first vows. That could make it extra special.

So a part of my discernment I've been seriously working on my prayer life. I'm exhausted. Prayer is physically and emotionally draining now. My prayer life is super fulfilling and I feel myself opening up more and more to God and His will, but I'm exhausted. It's been months since I prayed the rosary and did not sob the entire way through it. I feel His presence and love more than ever but I am always exhausted. Anyone else have this experience?

carmenchristi

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1306457644' post='2246423']
Cool! I never hear talk of 4-H anymore, so I didn't know if anyone knew what it was! I think I was in the program for about 3-4 years if I remember correctly. :)
[/quote]

amesome..... I was in 4-H for like a zillion years too.... I think I did every possible branch of it, from horses to sewing and everything in between. If only I could find the pic of the 4-H parade where my pony and I were dressed from head to toe/hoof with green and 4-leaf clovers! Glad to find other ex 4-H-ers out there. idk if anyone still does it anymore.

sistersintigo

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1306446437' post='2246364']
Both my sister and I were in Girl Scouts beginning with the Brownie troop. She went farther than I did, even going to Savannah, GA after her troop sold the most cookies.

I still have pictures of my initiation ceremony and the pinning and badge ceremony at the end (at least I think that's what it was; I was a little too young to remember). My uniform looked something like this:

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2611/4151619754_c5350791a5.jpg[/img]

I had the white and brown shirt, brown jumper, orange bow, brown knee socks, brown sash with badges and pins, etc.
[/quote]

Brownie Initiation: anybody remember Brown Owl??? WHOOOO ARE YOUUUUU???

FutureSister2009

Can I just say how much I love my Sisters? Today I went up to the Convent to tell them about my dog who died on Saturday night. They saw me walking her a lot and they always gave her treats. She loved them and they loved her. They were sad but also comforting, consoling and sympathetic. It was hard to talk about, even with them. But they are always helpful. I am so blessed to know them and I really can't wait to enter with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Random news: This is going to be a goooooood week for vocation discernment! Wedding Saturday, spending Sunday-Tuesday with the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus, and the Dominican Sisters of Mary are coming down to help with vacation bible school!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance5:

ooh, and non discernment related: we're having a post-Pentecost "Happy Birthday Church" red velvet cake on Wednesday- hopefully with the Sisters!!!!!!! (get it- RED velvet cake for Pentecost!?!?)

AHHH!!! I'm hoping God gives me a brief, shining moment of clarity this week! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nunpray.gif[/img]

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1307658588' post='2251811']
Random news: This is going to be a goooooood week for vocation discernment! Wedding Saturday, spending Sunday-Tuesday with the Carmelite Sisters of the Divine Heart of Jesus, and the Dominican Sisters of Mary are coming down to help with vacation bible school!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dance5:

ooh, and non discernment related: we're having a post-Pentecost "Happy Birthday Church" red velvet cake on Wednesday- hopefully with the Sisters!!!!!!! (get it- RED velvet cake for Pentecost!?!?)

AHHH!!! I'm hoping God gives me a brief, shining moment of clarity this week! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/nunpray.gif[/img]
[/quote]

Lisa,

I hope you enjoy every minute of your time with both communities! Red Velvet is my very favorite cake - especially the frosting.

LaPetiteSoeur

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1307658588' post='2251811']

[/quote]

Enjoy your holy days!

The red velvet cake idea is great! Do you use cream coagulated milk icing?

TeresaBenedicta

Waiting for Tuesday.

I feel like I’m suspended in the air, with no solid footing. I haven’t the slightest clue of where my life is going for the immediate future. And for the first time, I don’t feel anxious. Just curious. I’m struggling to stay centered and focused on the stuff that needs doing between now and then, but I suppose that’s to be expected.

So I wait.

But this sort of waiting is different than the waiting I’ve been doing for the past year. This sort of waiting is more immediate. It has a specific date during which it will end. Then the judgment will come and either I will go or I will stay.

But there’s no anxiety whatsoever. I’ve even found that I’m not too obsessed with thinking about the “what ifs”, although there are a lot of details that I WILL need to think about if I am offered the job.

God’s will be done. This came up so much from nowhere that I can’t help but just float along with it. I’m excited, yes, don’t get me wrong! But it’s completely out of my hands.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' timestamp='1307717542' post='2252004']
Waiting for Tuesday.

I feel like I’m suspended in the air, with no solid footing. I haven’t the slightest clue of where my life is going for the immediate future. And for the first time, I don’t feel anxious. Just curious. I’m struggling to stay centered and focused on the stuff that needs doing between now and then, but I suppose that’s to be expected.

So I wait.

But this sort of waiting is different than the waiting I’ve been doing for the past year. This sort of waiting is more immediate. It has a specific date during which it will end. Then the judgment will come and either I will go or I will stay.

But there’s no anxiety whatsoever. I’ve even found that I’m not too obsessed with thinking about the “what ifs”, although there are a lot of details that I WILL need to think about if I am offered the job.

God’s will be done. This came up so much from nowhere that I can’t help but just float along with it. I’m excited, yes, don’t get me wrong! But it’s completely out of my hands.
[/quote]

I'm a little out of the loop here. Are you talking about getting a job with your Sisters? Are you giving up the DRE job at the Church?

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1307720751' post='2252016']
I'm a little out of the loop here. Are you talking about getting a job with your Sisters? Are you giving up the DRE job at the Church?
[/quote]

Long story short: I have an interview with another parish for a DRE position, located near the Sisters, which would allow me to live with them and continue to work. It's all come up within the last five days or so, very much unexpected.