An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

FutureSister2009

I almost feel as though my mom is doing everything in her power to prevent me from entering. She wants me to wait one more year and I would be fine with that but I am so scared that when I go away to school, I'm going to lose my Vocation. I don't want to lose it. It's terrifying me. It's going to take even longer once my year at school is over because I have to apply and then wait to hear back and set up an entrance date which could be months away. I want to go so badly now. This next year is going to drag on forever. And if we all die tomorrow, I can't die with the satisfaction of knowing I achieved what I was called to be.

[quote name='FutureSister2009' timestamp='1305914094' post='2243890']
I almost feel as though my mom is doing everything in her power to prevent me from entering. She wants me to wait one more year and I would be fine with that but I am so scared that when I go away to school, I'm going to lose my Vocation. I don't want to lose it. It's terrifying me. It's going to take even longer once my year at school is over because I have to apply and then wait to hear back and set up an entrance date which could be months away. I want to go so badly now. This next year is going to drag on forever. And if we all die tomorrow, I can't die with the satisfaction of knowing I achieved what I was called to be.
[/quote]

1. I don't think that we're gonna die tomorrow. While we never know what's going to happen, Jesus did say he'd come like a thief in the night; somehow I doubt that included loud preachers putting it all over the international media. Just my 2 cents.

2. Have you tried just sitting down for a conversation with your mom? Telling her about how you feel you've been called, explaining the formation process (i.e. that it's not just a one time yes and you disappear forever. Especially until first vows, but really until final vows, it's really still discerning.)

3. If you do end up going away to school, trust that that is EXACTLY where God wants you to be. I'm sure several of the others here will agree that college was one of the things that aided their spiritual growth- if you want it to be that. Actually, it provides a lot of opportunities to go to Mass more often, get involved in Scripture studies, and share your faith in a world that desperately needs witnesses to the Culture of Life, the Culture of Love.

4. I am praying for all of my VS friends. Jesus and Mary might get tired of hearing your screen names :)

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1305914752' post='2243894']
1. I don't think that we're gonna die tomorrow. While we never know what's going to happen, Jesus did say he'd come like a thief in the night; somehow I doubt that included loud preachers putting it all over the international media. Just my 2 cents.

2. Have you tried just sitting down for a conversation with your mom? Telling her about how you feel you've been called, explaining the formation process (i.e. that it's not just a one time yes and you disappear forever. Especially until first vows, but really until final vows, it's really still discerning.)

3. If you do end up going away to school, trust that that is EXACTLY where God wants you to be. I'm sure several of the others here will agree that college was one of the things that aided their spiritual growth- if you want it to be that. Actually, it provides a lot of opportunities to go to Mass more often, get involved in Scripture studies, and share your faith in a world that desperately needs witnesses to the Culture of Life, the Culture of Love.

4. I am praying for all of my VS friends. Jesus and Mary might get tired of hearing your screen names :)
[/quote]

If your vocation won't survive a year in school, then maybe you don't have a vocation. I think that communities like applicants with schooling, especially completed schooling; it shows perseverance and focus, and offers skills that the communities can use.

Have you talked with your designated community about what[i] it [/i]wants?

Edited by Yaatee

faithcecelia

I have finally called off all further discernment with my former community. I feel like they have been constantly moving the goal posts, and also that a few small things I had not been comfortable with while there mean more to me than I realised and so I need to go elsewhere where these problems do not exist or are less. I feel a new level of grief - it is finally, definately over - but I also feel free (I used to sing but havent in nearly 2yrs, but withing half an hour of sending the email I found myself singing without realising!) and hope this freedom will allow me to see more of the good in other communities rather than just looking for Quidenham take 2. But goodness me, its hard :sad:

HopefulBride

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1305920059' post='2243919']
I have finally called off all further discernment with my former community. I feel like they have been constantly moving the goal posts, and also that a few small things I had not been comfortable with while there mean more to me than I realised and so I need to go elsewhere where these problems do not exist or are less. I feel a new level of grief - it is finally, definately over - but I also feel free (I used to sing but havent in nearly 2yrs, but withing half an hour of sending the email I found myself singing without realising!) and hope this freedom will allow me to see more of the good in other communities rather than just looking for Quidenham take 2. But goodness me, its hard :sad:
[/quote]

It's hard to be joyful amidst our suffering but with his grace you will be ok. Prayers for you Faith.

HB

Random (semi-vocational) thought of the day:
If you live ion the East Coast, or in the UK, everything is close together. I'm a little jealous.

Out of just curiosity's sake, I started looking up some of the UK Carmels and places mentioned on here on google maps. You can be in Scotland in like 6 1/2 hours from London! This blows my mind! On the east coast, you can be in like 3 states in an two hours! Craziness.

I'm going to Ann Arbor tomorrow. It's a 5 hour drive. I thought that was kinda close...

MargaretTeresa

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1305927879' post='2243966']
If you live ion the East Coast, or in the UK, everything is close together. I'm a little jealous.

Out of just curiosity's sake, I started looking up some of the UK Carmels and places mentioned on here on google maps. You can be in Scotland in like 6 1/2 hours from London! This blows my mind! On the east coast, you can be in like 3 states in an two hours! Craziness.

[b][u]I'm going to Ann Arbor tomorrow. It's a 5 hour drive. I thought that was kinda close...[/u][/b]
[/quote]

Much closer than I am! But I don't think I'm called there. My hometown is two and a half hours from STL, where I can visit Paulines. I'm 4 hours or so from Terre Haute, and the Carmel there. It's crazy.

I'm also an hour and half from some Poor Clares when I am at school. But I don't feel drawn there.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='faithcecelia' timestamp='1305920059' post='2243919']
[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear that the goal was moving farther and farther away. I know it's difficult to see right now, but Jesus will lead the way if you let Him. It's times like these when we need to lean on Him all the more. He understands our sorrows all too well. Don't let your sorrow stand in the way of continuing to follow Him. Many prayers! :)

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1305927879' post='2243966']

I'm going to Ann Arbor tomorrow. It's a 5 hour drive. I thought that was kinda close...
[/quote]

If you like Ann Arbor, you may not have to visit anywhere else...;)

[quote name='MargaretTeresa' timestamp='1305929236' post='2243973']
Much closer than I am! But I don't think I'm called there. My hometown is two and a half hours from STL, where I can visit Paulines. I'm 4 hours or so from Terre Haute, and the Carmel there. It's crazy.

I'm also an hour and half from some Poor Clares when I am at school. But I don't feel drawn there.
[/quote]

Lots of religious communities in St. Louis...

[quote name='Yaatee' timestamp='1305931904' post='2243985']
If you like Ann Arbor, you may not have to visit anywhere else...;)
[/quote]
I know... This will be my 3rd visit.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif[/img]

[quote]
Lots of religious communities in St. Louis...
[/quote]
But, I'm going on a nun run there!!!!! More for the other girls at my church than me, but still... I'm going on a nun run, going on a nun run!!!! :dance2:

[quote name='Lisa' timestamp='1305933746' post='2243996']
I know... This will be my 3rd visit.[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blush.gif[/img]

But, I'm going on a nun run there!!!!! More for the other girls at my church than me, but still... I'm going on a nun run, going on a nun run!!!! :dance2:

[/quote]

...Yaaay!....you mentioned the "Paulines" --Daughters of St. Paul??

LaPetiteSoeur

Sorry if this is a [i]really[/i] stupid question.

What exactly is a "nun run?" I've always been curious and there aren't any in my area (even though I live in one of the states with the highest amount of religious houses!).

Any explanation would be greatly appreciated!

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1305941175' post='2244028']

What exactly is a "nun run?" I've always been curious and there aren't any in my area (even though I live in one of the states with the highest amount of religious houses!).

[/quote]

Not a stupid question!!!
A nun run is a short trip usually to one geographic area (but that could be a city, like we're doing, to Saint Louis, or a little bit of a longer trip around the state) that allows people to see different religious orders without the pressure of an individual come and see. We didn't have one, either, but I'm planning it for my campus church. It's especially for young women who have felt a little bit of a nudge in that direction but who don't know where to start or even what they like. We're going to see cloistered nuns and more active sisters with a variety of apostolates (healthcare, teaching, etc.), spending about a half-day with each community.

So, you could think about planning one, too! I bet there are more people discerning than you think!

Edited by Lisa

[quote name='LaPetiteSoeur' timestamp='1305941175' post='2244028']

[/quote]

Oh, a "nun run" is not a physical tangible thing! I see how you got confused!

Although now I'm imagining a track where various Religious go for exercise ...

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]

:nun2: :nun2: :nun2:

[quote name='krissylou' timestamp='1305942392' post='2244042']
Oh, a "nun run" is not a physical tangible thing! I see how you got confused!

Although now I'm imagining a track where various Religious go for exercise ...

[img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blink.gif[/img]

:nun2: :nun2: :nun2:
[/quote]

This type of nun run is not a tangible thing, but there are "nun runs" as in marathons! Like the Desert Nuns: [url="http://desertnunrun.blogspot.com/"]http://desertnunrun.blogspot.com/[/url]