An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

Divine Mercy 9999

[quote name='vee8' date='05 June 2010 - 11:32 PM' timestamp='1275798735' post='2124471']
Maybe thats how you get to be a Doctor of the Church?! Extra crying.
[/quote]

Doesn't St Teresa write about holy tears? I'll have to go dig through my books... .

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' date='06 June 2010 - 12:32 AM' timestamp='1275798735' post='2124471']
:lol: Thats odd because I heard the same thing about Catherine of Siena. I suspect the flower she is holding indicates the great degree of her sadness.
[img]http://gabrielle.stblogs.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/157/files//2008/04/catherine-of-siena.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

:lol_pound:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='06 June 2010 - 12:32 AM' timestamp='1275798735' post='2124471']
:lol: Thats odd because I heard the same thing about Catherine of Siena. I suspect the flower she is holding indicates the great degree of her sadness.
[img]http://gabrielle.stblogs.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/157/files//2008/04/catherine-of-siena.jpg[/img]

[/quote]

:rolling:

:idea: Now all has become clear to me.... I will be the Church Doctor of Allergies and Sinus Infections as a Way of Mortification and Purification. Hmmmm... perhaps Kleenex would like to sponsor me in this endeavor. :evil:

Haha!

On a somewhat serious note, Padre Pio said something really beautiful about tears... let's see if I can find it.....

Ah, yes!

[quote]"Your tears were collected by the Angels and were placed in a golden chalice, and you will find them when you present yourself before God." -- Padre Pio [/quote]

Happy feast of Corpus Christi! To celebrate I'm currently listening to Pange Lingua and Adoro te Devote from the album Franciscan Road by the Friars of St Saviours monastery :love: :love: :love:

IgnatiusofLoyola

I've been reading the threads about Catholicculture giving Phatmass a yellow rating and it made me think of nuns in bright yellow habits. It would be very cheerful.

I vaguely remember someone posting awhile back that when they were in Italy, they saw a group of nuns in bright yellow habits. Am I imagining this?

Does such an Order exist?

sistersintigo

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='06 June 2010 - 01:26 PM' timestamp='1275841580' post='2124610']
I've been reading the threads about Catholicculture giving Phatmass a yellow rating and it made me think of nuns in bright yellow habits. It would be very cheerful.

I vaguely remember someone posting awhile back that when they were in Italy, they saw a group of nuns in bright yellow habits. Am I imagining this?

Does such an Order exist?
[/quote]
What about checking the Vocation Station thread of pictures of nuns in their habits?? (Although some of the photo links have given up the ghost)

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='sistersintigo' date='06 June 2010 - 06:19 PM' timestamp='1275866373' post='2124931']
What about checking the Vocation Station thread of pictures of nuns in their habits?? (Although some of the photo links have given up the ghost)
[/quote]

If I remember correctly (and I may not have) we didn't find any pictures of nuns/Sisters with bright yellow habits.

Random musing on how God has changed my previous materialism into detachment. I used to want so many things and the money to buy them with. I wanted to stay in nice hotels and eat at stylish restaurants, and I did do some of that too. Within the past year though I've lost all interest in shopping, eating out, traveling, seeking entertainment and so on. It's so strange in a way because now when I go to the store I have a hard time shopping. I simply don't want anything, so I only buy basic necessities and food. I don't watch much tv and rarely listen to secular music both of which I used have one or the other of on constantly. Sorry I don't really have a point to this, and I'm certainly not bragging or anything like that. I'm just amused in a way at how much God has changed me. He is all I want.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='vee8' date='07 June 2010 - 12:32 AM' timestamp='1275881578' post='2125065']
Random musing on how God has changed my previous materialism into detachment. I used to want so many things and the money to buy them with. I wanted to stay in nice hotels and eat at stylish restaurants, and I did do some of that too. Within the past year though I've lost all interest in shopping, eating out, traveling, seeking entertainment and so on. It's so strange in a way because now when I go to the store I have a hard time shopping. I simply don't want anything, so I only buy basic necessities and food. I don't watch much tv and rarely listen to secular music both of which I used have one or the other of on constantly. Sorry I don't really have a point to this, and I'm certainly not bragging or anything like that. I'm just amused in a way at how much God has changed me. He is all I want.
[/quote]

+1

Isn't it beautiful, how God works?

I've tried to put words to this work within me as well, but it's so difficult. It's gotten to the point that I can be out with my friends, having a good time, yet in a strange way I feel out of place. Like I'm moving in slow motion while everyone else is going full speed, not noticing. And it's not as though I'm not having a good time... But it's as though I can substantially tell that it's not what fulfills me. Not even close.

It's the same, as you say, with the material things.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='07 June 2010 - 12:42 AM' timestamp='1275885772' post='2125095']
+1

I've tried to put words to this work within me as well, but it's so difficult. [b]It's gotten to the point that I can be out with my friends, having a good time, yet in a strange way I feel out of place. Like I'm moving in slow motion while everyone else is going full speed, not noticing. And it's not as though I'm not having a good time... But it's as though I can substantially tell that it's not what fulfills me. Not even close.[/b]

[/quote]

I've found your words to be a really great way of explaining things, and very well said at that. (At least, for me, it's spot on! :twothumbsup: ) Especially the "slow motion" bit... I've never thought of it that way, but really... so, so true.

Thank you both for these "random musings". :) I'd give you both +1s if I had them!

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='07 June 2010 - 12:42 AM' timestamp='1275885772' post='2125095']
+1

I've tried to put words to this work within me as well, but it's so difficult. It's gotten to the point that I can be out with my friends, having a good time, yet in a strange way I feel out of place. Like I'm moving in slow motion while everyone else is going full speed, not noticing. And it's not as though I'm not having a good time... But it's as though I can substantially tell that it's not what fulfills me. Not even close.

[/quote]
My sentiments exactly!
I find it kinda hard though, because all of my friends are going at "full speed", as you said, and most of the time they are oblivious to how much God could really fill their hearts, as He has filled ours. In a way I feel sorry for them because they miss out on so much joy! But if I even tried to explain it to them they just wouldn't understand. They are still to attatched to material things. I found a quote from St. Josemaria a while ago that really helped me see this:
"No one can attain an ecstatic joy in God, without giving up paltry, self-centered joy in things less than God."
Oh if only everyone knew this kinda of joy! Can you imagine? :love:

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='06 June 2010 - 11:42 PM' timestamp='1275885772' post='2125095']
+1

[/quote]

Im happy you wrote that because you said what Ive also been feeling towards people but didnt know how to put into words.

laetitia crucis

Not to sound too overly gushy, but really, I love you guys! :grouphug:

[size="1"]N.B. -- "guys" is used in the non-gender specific sense. :saint:[/size]

[quote name='JTheresa' date='07 June 2010 - 07:57 AM' timestamp='1275915430' post='2125146']
I found a quote from St. Josemaria a while ago that really helped me see this:
"No one can attain an ecstatic joy in God, without giving up paltry, self-centered joy in things less than God."
Oh if only everyone knew this kinda of joy! Can you imagine? :love:
[/quote]

Great quote! I try to help people around me to see things in a more detached way too and to just focus on God as their ultimate source of joy but it sounds so alien to them, which I understand completely. I say things like "will getting that REALLY make you happy?" and so on in the hopes that it will at least make them think more. Plus I pray God will give them the grace to see that they will only have joy in Him.