An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='07 June 2010 - 09:03 AM' timestamp='1275919383' post='2125154']
Not to sound too overly gushy, but really, I love you guys! :grouphug:

[size="1"]N.B. -- "guys" is used in the non-gender specific sense. :saint:[/size]
[/quote]

:blowkiss:
:lol: Im really laughing at this because I kept saying "you guys" to nuns. :idontknow:

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='07 June 2010 - 10:03 AM' timestamp='1275919383' post='2125154']
Not to sound too overly gushy, but really, I love you guys! :grouphug:

[size="1"]N.B. -- "guys" is used in the non-gender specific sense. :saint:[/size]
[/quote]

awww! Thanks LC!
I can definitely say that this phorum has made discernment and the trials that come with it a whole lot easier.
Thanks guys! You've been helpful beyond words!
:flowers:

[quote name='vee8' date='07 June 2010 - 10:15 AM' timestamp='1275920113' post='2125158']
:blowkiss:
:lol: Im really laughing at this because I kept saying "you guys" to nuns. :idontknow:
[/quote]
:lol: I do that too. I feel bad, but what else do you call them, "you all"? I still have a little bit of slang to get rid of. :sweat:

random: who else thinks that we need a nun emoticon? :saint:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='vee8' date='07 June 2010 - 11:03 AM' timestamp='1275919397' post='2125155']
Great quote! I try to help people around me to see things in a more detached way too and to just focus on God as their ultimate source of joy but it sounds so alien to them, which I understand completely. I say things like "will getting that REALLY make you happy?" and so on in the hopes that it will at least make them think more. Plus I pray God will give them the grace to see that they will only have joy in Him.
[/quote]

Yeah, it's hard-- because we all want to share this great joy we have found in the Lord with others. But, before anyone can be filled with God, they have to realize that they're empty without Him.

TeresaBenedicta

Taking a share in a limited preview of the vocation of marriage:

I'm watching three little ones-- a one year old, a three year old, and a five year old-- for about a week. They're my nephews and niece. I'm watching them while my older brother has surgery. They're cute... but a lot of work!!

[quote name='JTheresa' date='07 June 2010 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1275921273' post='2125164']
:lol: I do that too. I feel bad, but what else do you call them, "you all"? I still have a little bit of slang to get rid of. :sweat:

[/quote]

:hehe: if you have the accent/background to get away with it "y'all" could be a good alternative. I dont just have slang I have to clean up I have some bad words too :blush: Thanks to the Holy Spirit though Ive never said anything out of place around nuns! I was tempted to though when the self service check in kiosk at the airport stopped working half way through my check in and I really wanted to call the machine a piece of croutons. :sweat: I went to the counter and checked in instead but still for that moment something I shouldnt say especially in front of three nuns almost came out.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='07 June 2010 - 09:49 AM' timestamp='1275922194' post='2125172']
Taking a share in a limited preview of the vocation of marriage:

I'm watching three little ones-- a one year old, a three year old, and a five year old-- for about a week. They're my nephews and niece. I'm watching them while my older brother has surgery. They're cute... but a lot of work!!
[/quote]

I fully understand this from looking after my own nieces and nephew, and from my younger brothers when they were little! God definitely gives parents a lot of graces!

Prayers for your brother too.

[quote name='vee8' date='07 June 2010 - 11:00 AM' timestamp='1275922836' post='2125177']
:hehe: if you have the accent/background to get away with it "y'all" could be a good alternative. I dont just have slang I have to clean up I have some bad words too :blush: Thanks to the Holy Spirit though Ive never said anything out of place around nuns!
[/quote]
I feel you there. I have developed a rather bad habit of that as well :unsure: and all my friends laugh at how they'll kick me out because of my language. I'm not horrible, but when I'm moody at all, I tend to not hold back. ( it's even worse on a monthly basis). :wacko:
I've never said anything around the Sisters, but I've come close. As in, starting to swear then quickly finding a different word (ex. oh, d...arn it, sh..oot) :ohno:
I have a lot of cleaning to do. Too bad the mouth soap thing doesn't work. :annoyed:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='JTheresa' date='07 June 2010 - 10:34 AM' timestamp='1275921273' post='2125164']

random: who else thinks that we need a nun emoticon? :saint:
[/quote]

It's even funnier (or more awkward perhaps) when you call Sisters/Nuns "you guys" and they're not American... but then again, in my former community, we only called each other "Sister" in public (while informally using a shortened version of our religious names when not in public), and most of my classmates were American, so... "you guys" was somewhat common for us in the formation house. :lol:

However, when I went to a mission house, I was the only American. Sooo... normally I would say, "Hey...everyone!" :sweat:

I guess I'll have to get used to saying, "Sisters!". (Which honestly, is something I really do like and prefer. I wanted to be called "Sister" by my own Sisters instead of a more "familiar/family nickname". I guess I really do like some formalities. :shock: Who knew? :hehehe: )

P.S. I totally think we need a nun emoticon! [IMG]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Random/nunemoticon.gif[/IMG] <-- Feel free to use that one from my photobucket if you want. :woot:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='vee8' date='07 June 2010 - 12:11 PM' timestamp='1275923483' post='2125182']
I fully understand this from looking after my own nieces and nephew, and from my younger brothers when they were little! God definitely gives parents a lot of graces!

Prayers for your brother too.
[/quote]

I wonder how parents ever get the chance to pray, much less make a holy hour!!

It was a mess just trying to pray Morning Prayer this morning-- I couldn't get through a psalm before having to do something for one of the three.

I can't imagine having a houseful of kids and being able to keep a daily prayer life that is anything more than simply recited prayers...

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='07 June 2010 - 12:02 PM' timestamp='1275930179' post='2125242']
I wonder how parents ever get the chance to pray, much less make a holy hour!!

It was a mess just trying to pray Morning Prayer this morning-- I couldn't get through a psalm before having to do something for one of the three.

I can't imagine having a houseful of kids and being able to keep a daily prayer life that is anything more than simply recited prayers...
[/quote]

I suspect this could be one of the reasons why I have read suggestions in several places that families recite the Rosary together. This might not work when all the children were babies/toddlers, but I wouldn't be surprised if some 4- or 5-year olds would like a rosary, just like mom and dad have. I've never looked, but I assume (hope?) they make indestructible rosarys for young children.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='07 June 2010 - 02:09 PM' timestamp='1275930562' post='2125247']
I suspect this could be one of the reasons why I have read suggestions in several places that families recite the Rosary together. This might not work when all the children were babies/toddlers, but I wouldn't be surprised if some 4- or 5-year olds would like a rosary, just like mom and dad have. I've never looked, but I assume (hope?) they make indestructible rosarys for young children.
[/quote]

Absolutely!! And I think it's a necessity for families to pray it together.

I guess that's just it, though... I don't know if I could last with that being the extent of my everyday prayer life.

I was talking to another chaperone on a retreat that I helped chaperone this past weekend and he was telling me how much of a difference one holy hour a week has changed his life. How beautiful!! Praise God!! And yet, I thought to myself... how could I survive with only a holy hour per week? I try to make one each day and can definitely feel it when I go a few days without being able to spend that time in prayer.

It's crazy!

On Mother Teresa's canonization process

http://netny.net/currents/video/stories/from-blessed-to-a-saint-6310/

TeresaBenedicta

So, it's been about three weeks since I heard from a middle man who was/is contacting a possible donor on my behalf. Since I'm no longer on campus (and won't be again, considering I just graduated), I sent him an e-mail to just see where things were and if he needed anything else from me.

I've got a funny feeling that nothing's going to come from this one.

What is particularly disheartening is that I [i]have[/i] an anonymous donor (via a deacon I know very well) who is willing to do a "cover donation" that would take care of the "rest" of my student loans, once it's down further from where it is now. The down side is that I don't know how long that offer is going to last. It may only be for this summer.

So, I'm just hoping and praying for [i]one more[/i] substantial donation that can bring it down to a more appealing amount for this potential donor #2.

Thomist-in-Training

This is really great:

[url="http://www.sacredheartnightlydevotion.com/index.html"]Sacred Heart Nightly Devotion[/url]

I'm putting it in the "random" thread because it should probably be its own thread in one of the other subforums but I really usually only read this forum, sometimes Open Mic... but anyone who wants to put it somewhere else is welcome to!

This Friday, if I'm not mistaken, is the Feast of the Sacred Heart! <3

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' date='09 June 2010 - 09:36 PM' timestamp='1276133772' post='2126562']
This is really great:

[url="http://www.sacredheartnightlydevotion.com/index.html"]Sacred Heart Nightly Devotion[/url]

I'm putting it in the "random" thread because it should probably be its own thread in one of the other subforums but I really usually only read this forum, sometimes Open Mic... but anyone who wants to put it somewhere else is welcome to!

This Friday, if I'm not mistaken, is the Feast of the Sacred Heart! <3
[/quote]

Sure is!! And I believe that Saturday is the feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

<3

:)