An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='11 June 2010 - 06:43 PM' timestamp='1276296223' post='2127506']
I'm pretty sure St. Francis counts as "off the wall."

I always think of a dysfunctional teenager when he takes off his clothes in front of everyone and throws them at his father, stomping off angrily. Haha.
[/quote]

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='11 June 2010 - 07:11 PM' timestamp='1276297883' post='2127519']
Not the best telling of the story, but it'll do:

[i]His search for conversion led him to the ancient church at San Damiano. While he was praying there, he heard Christ on the crucifix speak to him, "Francis, repair my church." Francis assumed this meant church with a small c -- the crumbling building he was in. Acting again in his impetuous way, he took fabric from his father's shop and sold it to get money to repair the church. His father saw this as an act of theft -- and put together with Francis' cowardice, waste of money, and his growing disinterest in money made Francis seem more like a madman than his son. Pietro dragged Francis before the bishop and in front of the whole town demanded that Francis return the money and renounce all rights as his heir.

The bishop was very kind to Francis; he told him to return the money and said God would provide. That was all Francis needed to hear. He not only gave back the money but stripped off all his clothes -- the clothes his father had given him -- until he was wearing only a hair shirt. In front of the crowd that had gathered he said, "Pietro Bernardone is no longer my father. From now on I can say with complete freedom, 'Our Father who art in heaven.'" Wearing nothing but castoff rags, he went off into the freezing woods -- singing. And when robbers beat him later and took his clothes, he climbed out of the ditch and went off singing again. From then on Francis had nothing...and everything.[/i]
-From [url="http://www.catholic.org/saints/saint.php?saint_id=50"]http://www.catholic....php?saint_id=50[/url]
[/quote]

:) I love GK Chesterton's description of this event.

[quote name='Jennifer G.' date='13 June 2010 - 07:14 PM' timestamp='1276474470' post='2128303']
I seem to randomly come across Port Tobacco Carmel all the time! Even when I clicked in one of the links in the above post about a nun who used to be a pilot. She's the one who restored Port Tobacco Carmel!
[/quote]

I agree with MM that maybe God is giving you a nudge. :) If my memory serves me correctly you posted a list of Carmels a while ago and were trying to decide which one(s) to visit? I'd say start with Port Tobacco, if you haven't gone already.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' date='14 June 2010 - 07:35 AM' timestamp='1276515318' post='2128476']
I agree with MM that maybe God is giving you a nudge. :) If my memory serves me correctly you posted a list of Carmels a while ago and were trying to decide which one(s) to visit? I'd say start with Port Tobacco, if you haven't gone already.
[/quote]

:yes:

;)

laetitia crucis

Random:

After Mass yesterday, I found out that my parish's Knights of Columbus will be donating $500 to help me towards my plane ticket!

Blessed be God!!! :bigpray:

(Here's hoping prices will go down in the near future for a one-way ticket! It's funny to think that my first one-way ticket -- when I entered the convent a few years ago -- only cost $86 at the time. Now it's just horrendous! :sadder: But then again, I suppose a little hop over the pond isn't so little these days.)

Edited by laetitia crucis

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='14 June 2010 - 08:17 AM' timestamp='1276517874' post='2128487']
Random:

After Mass yesterday, I found out that my parish's Knights of Columbus will be donating $500 to help me towards my plane ticket!

(Here's hoping prices will go down in the near future for a one-way ticket! It's funny to think that my first one-way ticket -- when I entered the convent a few years ago -- only cost $86 at the time. Now it's just horrendous! :sadder: But then again, I suppose a little hop over the pond isn't so little these days.)
[/quote]

I really wish i could contribute in a monetary way so you could get closer faster, but my prayers are all I have. They are yours! :)

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='14 June 2010 - 07:17 AM' timestamp='1276517874' post='2128487']
Random:

[/quote]

Sometimes roundtrip tickets are cheaper and you just don't use the return leg. You won't be penalized or anything either at least not in N. America. England though.... you might be drawn and quartered for such kind of shenanigans :mellow:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='14 June 2010 - 08:35 AM' timestamp='1276518906' post='2128491']
Sometimes roundtrip tickets are cheaper and you just don't use the return leg. You won't be penalized or anything either at least not in N. America. England though.... you might be drawn and quartered for such kind of shenanigans :mellow:
[/quote]

:lol:

I've been comparing roundtrip tickets as well and it seems they're about the same as the one-way -- or even more expensive. :(

However, some good news: it seems the exchange rate between U.S. Dollars and British Pounds has improved IMMENSELY! (This helps knock off quite a bit for a UK Visa application. Praise God!)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='14 June 2010 - 09:17 AM' timestamp='1276517874' post='2128487']
Random:

[/quote]

[i]Deo Gratias[/i]!!!!!

Just keep checking-- sometimes you'll find that prices fluctuate like crazy. My mom was master of ticket-price watching for all of my travels back and forth from coast to coast for school. Every once in a while a different special comes up or ticket prices go down for no good reason.

Oh, and change up the days a little bit, if you can. I know your entrance day is set, but if you flew in a day or two earlier than you've already planned, tickets might be cheaper for those days. That's also something I've learned-- Tuesdays are the cheapest travel days.

I've been watching plane tickets myself, hoping to find a cheap ticket for my friend to come and visit me from the Philly area. Alas, nothing's been cheap enough yet.

brightsadness

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='14 June 2010 - 05:17 AM' timestamp='1276517874' post='2128487']
Random:

Blessed be God!!! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/bigpray.gif[/img]

(Here's hoping prices will go down in the near future for a one-way ticket! It's funny to think that my first one-way ticket -- when I entered the convent a few years ago -- only cost $86 at the time. Now it's just horrendous! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/sadder.gif[/img] But then again, I suppose a little hop over the pond isn't so little these days.)
[/quote]

Glory to God! And this is just the beginning, you know!!![img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/blowkiss.gif[/img]

Ooopps so for some reason I was thinking 30 and not 33 as the number of days of prep for the total consecration to Jesus through Mary, so if anyone wishes to do the consecration on the feast of Our Lady of Mt Carmel you should have started yesterday June 13, of course any Marian feast is fine it just happens to be the next one. For more about the consecration see here
http://www.fisheaters.com/totalconsecrationmontfort.html

TeresaBenedicta

I just applied for the position of Director of Faith Formation at a local parish... here's to praying, if it's God's will, that I can find employment.

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='14 June 2010 - 09:22 AM' timestamp='1276521753' post='2128496']
:lol:

I've been comparing roundtrip tickets as well and it seems they're about the same as the one-way -- or even more expensive. :(

However, some good news: it seems the exchange rate between U.S. Dollars and British Pounds has improved IMMENSELY! (This helps knock off quite a bit for a UK Visa application. Praise God!)
[/quote]

For anyone looking to move to enter an order anywhere in the European Union, if you have a parent or grandparent that was born in Ireland, you can get an Irish passport and citizenship to live and travel to any of the countries in the European Union by descendancy. This eliminates the need for the visa hassle. You can also have dual citizenship as an American.

[quote name='SrBenigna' date='14 June 2010 - 05:46 PM' timestamp='1276555605' post='2128841']
For anyone looking to move to enter an order anywhere in the European Union, if you have a parent or grandparent that was born in Ireland, you can get an Irish passport and citizenship to live and travel to any of the countries in the European Union by descendancy. This eliminates the need for the visa hassle. You can also have dual citizenship as an American.
[/quote]

I wish France had the same thing then Id qualify. *le sigh* :sadwalk:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='14 June 2010 - 05:01 PM' timestamp='1276549312' post='2128786']
I just applied for the position of Director of Faith Formation at a local parish... here's to praying, if it's God's will, that I can find employment.
[/quote]

:bigpray:

You have my prayers, TB!

laetitia crucis

[quote name='SrBenigna' date='14 June 2010 - 06:46 PM' timestamp='1276555605' post='2128841']
[/quote]

Double le sigh! I so wish I had a parent or grandparent born in Ireland -- that would be great!