An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='20 June 2010 - 07:37 PM' timestamp='1277080650' post='2131903']
Random (and yes, even a bit superficial :shock: :hehehe: ) thought:

God willing, when I become a novice and wear a veil, I'm going to wear my hair like this:

[img]http://i802.photobucket.com/albums/yy305/laetitia_crucis/Religious/SrGraceDom6.jpg[/img]

---

For the longest time I've had a great distaste for the hair-showing veils. (Give me the buzz cut completely concealed under the veil any day. This makes for faster showers, and even faster time for getting ready in the morning. :sweat: I've always been an "all or nothing" type of person...) However, I've been praying for the hair-showing veil to grow on me since my future community wears one, as do most Dominicans I've encountered. And well... I think it finally has.

My Sister of Life friend has a high preference for the hair-showing veils. Actually, when I expressed my preference for the other, she was somewhat horrified at the thought of a buzz cut and non-hair-showing veils. :lol: That amused me.

Anyhooooo... there's my most recent random vocation-related (sorta) thought. :hehe:

What say you about the hair-showing veils vs. non-hair-showing veils?

[/quote]

I'd prefer a non hair showing veil myself, even though I do like my hair and would be sad to have it go at first anyway. Like you said it would make showering and getting ready easier and faster!

Edited by vee8

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='vee8' date='20 June 2010 - 09:58 PM' timestamp='1277081890' post='2131912']
I'd prefer a non hair showing veil myself, even though I do like my hair and would be sad to have it go at first anyway. Like you said it would make showering and getting ready easier and faster!
[/quote]

Yeah, I'm about the same-- I like the non-hair showing veils myself. I suppose it really doesn't matter that much, either way. Just preference for me. Although, one veil that I can't hardly stand is the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist!! I love their order, but their veil reminds me of a fairy or something, lol.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='20 June 2010 - 11:12 PM' timestamp='1277089946' post='2131977']
Yeah, I'm about the same-- I like the non-hair showing veils myself. I suppose it really doesn't matter that much, either way. Just preference for me. Although, one veil that I can't hardly stand is the Franciscan Sisters of the Eucharist!! I love their order, but their veil reminds me of a fairy or something, lol.
[/quote]

It makes me think of the Jackie Kennedy pillbox hats with added tulle in the back, but perhaps for a funeral.

(I wish I could shake that thought, but it's literally the first thing that pops in my head when I see one. I sincerely hope I have not offended anyone with that remark. If so, [i]mea culpa[/i]. :sweat: )

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='20 June 2010 - 11:12 PM' timestamp='1277089946' post='2131977']
[/quote]

I have to agree. I know it is very superficial but my hair would look terrible cut that way. My hair is very frizzy when I use no styling products, so I need a veil that would mostly cover it up. :sweat:

I believe my favorite veil of all is that of the Nashville Dominicans (I love long veils):

[img]http://media.commercialappeal.com/media/img/photos/2009/10/03/mdmpinkpalace18_t607.JPG[/img]

IgnatiusofLoyola

The biggest benefit I could see of a veil where your hair doesn't show is that you will look younger because no one would know when your hair turns grey. But then, Sisters/nuns aren't supposed to care about their appearance.

But, except for maybe the Passionists, the headpieces of most Orders where their hair doesn't show look more "complicated," which could make it harder to get dressed in the morning. (And one more thing to spill food on.) LOL

[quote name='vee8' date='19 June 2010 - 01:58 PM' timestamp='1276970289' post='2131518']
[img]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4FSfQ67Q1RI/SMWymE3ppBI/AAAAAAAACzA/VM8cM9l-au0/S1600-R/Elija+under+Our+Lady+Mantel.jpg[/img]

A while ago i posted a picture similar to this somewhere on VS but with Dominicans. I'm happy to find the Carmelite version.
[/quote]

:love:

TeresaBenedicta

All of the priests in my Archdiocese are up at the See with the Archbishop for meetings and stuff.

Which unfortunately means that there's no daily Mass in my area for the week. Even more unfortunate is the closest parish in the next diocese is a Dominican priory (which is sweet, btw) and they're at their once-every-four-year General Chapter all week... so no daily Mass there, either.

I'm slightly more than bummed.

On a different note, I just got a facebook message from a friend of mine asking if we wanted to take a middle of the night holy hour slot at my parish for perpetual adoration. This girl is a sweetie and we've had a few conversations lately about the spiritual life. She's been feeling pretty "dead" in that area, so we've made some plans to do a two-day retreat at the local Trappist Abbey and now this middle night holy hour. I think it'll be good for her. I'm not so much a fan of a 2-3am holy hour at a parish 20 minutes away. But, I also think that offering it up as penance on behalf of my friend and for her sanctification.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='20 June 2010 - 10:12 PM' timestamp='1277089946' post='2131977']
[/quote]

Oh my that is certainly a unique veil...

Chiquitunga

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='21 June 2010 - 12:58 AM' timestamp='1277099920' post='2132110']
All of the priests in my Archdiocese are up at the See with the Archbishop for meetings and stuff.

Which unfortunately means that there's no daily Mass in my area for the week. Even more unfortunate is the closest parish in the next diocese is a Dominican priory (which is sweet, btw) and they're at their once-every-four-year General Chapter all week... so no daily Mass there, either.

I'm slightly more than bummed.[/quote]

Whoa, no daily Mass in a whole area for a whole week? Oh my goodness .. how hard! There has to be some priest around in case someone needs last rites and everything. But maybe his Masses are private? .. anyway, I'll bring you to Mass with me spiritually this afternoon. God bless!

Edited by Chiquitunga

OnlySunshine

There are sometimes (like today) where impatience gets the better of me and I don't feel like waiting anymore. It takes all I have to slow myself down. I really wish sometimes God would get a move-on and hurry this whole process up. <_< Discernment is bittersweet. I don't understand why it takes so long, sometimes. If I didn't have things to keep myself busy like a job or doing stuff at home, I'd drive myself crazy waiting.

Maybe I need to read [i]Abandonment to Divine Providence[/i] and [i]I Believe in Love[/i] again...

laetitia crucis

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='21 June 2010 - 10:44 PM' timestamp='1277174696' post='2132564']
There are sometimes (like today) where impatience gets the better of me and I don't feel like waiting anymore. It takes all I have to slow myself down. I really wish sometimes God would get a move-on and hurry this whole process up. <_< Discernment is bittersweet. I don't understand why it takes so long, sometimes. If I didn't have things to keep myself busy like a job or doing stuff at home, I'd drive myself crazy waiting.

Maybe I need to read [i]Abandonment to Divine Providence[/i] and [i]I Believe in Love[/i] again...
[/quote]

:console:

I [i]totally [/i]know what you mean.

I guess God decided it was finally time for to relieve some of my insanity. :sweat:

However, I'm still waiting for immigration papers. And I'm rather :wacko: about this whole Visa process. And a bit nervous.

Why on earth do the UK Visa people require one to have [b]already[/b] purchased a plane ticket [b]before[/b] applying for a Visa?? (An itinerary is required for the application. :annoyed: ) I mean, what if the Visa is denied, and there you have a non-refundable one-way plane ticket??? (Refundable is [i]ridiculously[/i] high. :weep: )

Wouldn't it make so much more sense if you had the Visa [b]before[/b] buying the plane ticket, therefore ensuring your stay?

Anyhoo.

Part of me thinks I should just get the non-refundable, waaaay cheaper, one-way plane ticket and hope (and pray) for the best in regards to the Visa. (Which technically speaking, I really shouldn't have any problems getting the Visa. I'm just paranoid, and at times involving relatively big amounts of donated money, I'm a worry wart. :paperbag: ) The other part of me thinks it would be more prudent to buy a refundable one-way ticket. (However, I do not have the funds for a refundable ticket... seriously, it's outrageous. Highway robbery, I tell you! <_< )

Please pray for whatever grace God wants to give me involving this ordeal. :sweat:

[size="1"]And if you think I should just buy the waaaaay cheaper, non-refundable ticket... please, give me a little slap on the wrists and tell me to stop being silly.[/size]

What Would Thomas Aquinas Do? :scratchhead:

southern california guy

Wow, I notice that most of you guys are women? Where are the men? Don't any men want to become Priests?

Don't look at me!!!

I guess I don't... :sadder: I think I'd be a terrible priest...

What's the average age for starting a religious vocation? It's not like 18, is it?

(Forgive me I've been drinking beer. But it's very good beer! It's oatmeal stout!!!)

Edited by southern california guy

OnlySunshine

Oh boy, LC! That is a conundrum! :blink: I'll say some prayers for you!

You know what really bothers me sometimes? What if I am not listening to God? What if it IS God telling me to hurry up and I keep thinking it's ME? He'd probably be ready to give up on me soon. :rolleyes:

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='22 June 2010 - 12:08 AM' timestamp='1277176099' post='2132579']
:console:

I [i]totally [/i]know what you mean.

I guess God decided it was finally time for to relieve some of my insanity. :sweat:

However, I'm still waiting for immigration papers. And I'm rather :wacko: about this whole Visa process. And a bit nervous.

Why on earth do the UK Visa people require one to have [b]already[/b] purchased a plane ticket [b]before[/b] applying for a Visa?? (An itinerary is required for the application. :annoyed: ) I mean, what if the Visa is denied, and there you have a non-refundable one-way plane ticket??? (Refundable is [i]ridiculously[/i] high. :weep: )

Wouldn't it make so much more sense if you had the Visa [b]before[/b] buying the plane ticket, therefore ensuring your stay?

Anyhoo.

Part of me thinks I should just get the non-refundable, waaaay cheaper, one-way plane ticket and hope (and pray) for the best in regards to the Visa. (Which technically speaking, I really shouldn't have any problems getting the Visa. I'm just paranoid, and at times involving relatively big amounts of donated money, I'm a worry wart. :paperbag: ) The other part of me thinks it would be more prudent to buy a refundable one-way ticket. (However, I do not have the funds for a refundable ticket... seriously, it's outrageous. Highway robbery, I tell you! <_< )

Please pray for whatever grace God wants to give me involving this ordeal. :sweat:

[size="1"]And if you think I should just buy the waaaaay cheaper, non-refundable ticket... please, give me a little slap on the wrists and tell me to stop being silly.[/size]

What Would Thomas Aquinas Do? :scratchhead:
[/quote]

Gosh, they require a ticket [i]first[/i]? :shock: That seems counter-intuitive if I ever heard of it...

Now, you'll have to forgive me, because I have absolutely no understanding of visas/passports or anything like that. So what I say here might be completely null.

Say you bought the non-refundable ticket. Then, God-forbid, you're not accepted for your VISA for some stupid silly reason. Would you be able to still fly across the pond and continue to work on the visa problem while you're there (presuming that you'd be able to fly on a simple passport)? I mean, obviously you'd still have to deal with the visa problem, but you'd have some time to do that while there, wouldn't you? (I don't know how long you can technically travel on a passport.)

I don't know. Definitely pray about it if you haven't already (although I'm not entirely sure how we're supposed receive answers about these types of things). Then I'd say go for it... buy the non-refundable ticket, apply for you visa, and go for it.

It may be donated money, but I like to think (I certainly hope so, at least!!!) that when people make these types of donations they know that sometimes things go astray... not according to plans.... Of course, it usually doesn't and nobody hopes it will. But sometimes it does. And I think people understand that.

If there's no good reason to think you'll have troubles with the Visa, then I think you're good to go with the non-refundable ticket.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='southern california guy' date='21 June 2010 - 11:19 PM' timestamp='1277176779' post='2132587']
Wow, I notice that most of you guys are women? Where are the men? Don't any men want to become Priests?

Don't look at me!!!

I guess I don't... :sadder: I think I'd be a terrible priest...

What's the average age for starting a religious vocation? It's not like 18, is it?

(Forgive me I've been drinking beer. But it's very good beer! It's oatmeal stout!!!)
[/quote]

I've wondered the same thing about priestly vocations on Phatmass -- I'm thinking women just tend to be more verbose about their vocations... at least that's how it seems here. :lol:

And well, who know's, what if God IS calling you to be a priest? "God doesn't call the qualified; He qualifies the called!" Have you ever seriously discerned the religious vocation?

Average age for religious vocation -- I have no idea what this age might be. :scratchhead: Several Sisters that I've met seemed to have discerned their vocations while in high school or university. Others simply knew from a very, very young age (like grade school aged), and then others discerned much later in life. It's all in God's time. ;)

P.S. -- Oatmeal stout = :love: :cheers:

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='21 June 2010 - 11:20 PM' timestamp='1277176800' post='2132588']
Oh boy, LC! That is a conundrum! :blink: I'll say some prayers for you!

[b]You know what really bothers me sometimes? What if I am not listening to God? What if it IS God telling me to hurry up and I keep thinking it's ME? He'd probably be ready to give up on me soon. [/b] :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I've that thought VERY same thing about myself, MM!!! Maaaany times! :sweat:

Thank you so much for your prayers -- you remain in my as well! :bigpray: