An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

CAUTION: REALLY RANDOM THOUGHT.

If we got another dog (we have one already, his name is Balto) but if for some reason we got another one, I would name it Scotus and I would call him Scotty. :))

Randomly throughout the day the horarium of the community I'm interested in will pop into my head and I wiill find myself thinking oh right now they're saying lauds, at Mass, or having silent prayer time etc. Then I find myself wishing I was doing those things with them especially when I'm reading the LOTH alone. Am I nuts :crazy: or is this somewhat normal?

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='25 June 2010 - 07:34 PM' timestamp='1277512449' post='2134294']
Randomly throughout the day the horarium of the community I'm interested in will pop into my head and I wiill find myself thinking oh right now they're saying lauds, at Mass, or having silent prayer time etc. Then I find myself wishing I was doing those things with them especially when I'm reading the LOTH alone. Am I nuts [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/crazy.gif[/img] or is this somewhat normal?
[/quote]

Sounds normal to me. Isn't it one point of the LOTH that Catholics everywhere are saying identical prayers (or very similar prayers--but the same intention) at the same times of the day?

Correct me if I'm wrong about this. But, even if I'm wrong about one of the purposes of the LOTH, your feelings still sound normal to me. When you want to be with someone or be somewhere else, it's very common to think often of what the other person/group is doing at that moment.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' date='25 June 2010 - 08:34 PM' timestamp='1277512449' post='2134294']
Randomly throughout the day the horarium of the community I'm interested in will pop into my head and I wiill find myself thinking oh right now they're saying lauds, at Mass, or having silent prayer time etc. Then I find myself wishing I was doing those things with them especially when I'm reading the LOTH alone. Am I nuts :crazy: or is this somewhat normal?
[/quote]

I don't think it's crazy at all. When I was discerning with the CFRs, I used to read their horarium all the time to see what they were doing. :detective:

Yay two votes for not nuts :D

I found this horarium if anyone is interested, which is very similar, on another website. The community I'm interested in doesn't have it on their site because they don't actually run their site secular people do as far as I know.

5:30 AM Rise

6:00 — Angelus
Morning Prayer ~ “Lauds”
Silent Prayer (one hour)

7:30 — Holy Mass and Communion
Thanksgiving
Midmorning Prayer ~ “Terce”
Breakfast
Work

11:40 — Midday Prayer ~ “Sext”
Examination of conscience

12:00 NOON Angelus
Dinner
Midafternoon Prayer ~ “None”
Work

2:30 PM Spiritual Reading

3:00 — Work

4:30 — Evening Prayer ~ “Vespers”
Silent Prayer (one hour)

Supper (or, during the fast,
"Collation", a simple repast)

7:15 — Recreation

8:15 — Night Prayer ~ "Compline",
with examination of conscience
Office of Readings ~ “Matins”
“Great Silence” begins ~ Withdraw to cells for quiet time to read, or write, or pray...

11:00 — Retire

OnlySunshine

[quote name='vee8' date='25 June 2010 - 09:22 PM' timestamp='1277515347' post='2134361']
Yay two votes for not nuts :D

I found this horarium if anyone is interested, which is very similar, on another website. The community I'm interested in doesn't have it on their site because they don't actually run their site secular people do as far as I know.
[/quote]

I wish the Hawthorne Dominicans had an horarium on their website... :whistle:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='vee8' date='25 June 2010 - 08:22 PM' timestamp='1277515347' post='2134361']
Yay two votes for not nuts [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/lol_grin.gif[/img]

5:30 AM Rise

Morning Prayer ~ "Lauds"
Silent Prayer (one hour)

7:30 — Holy Mass and Communion
Thanksgiving
Midmorning Prayer ~ "Terce"
Breakfast
Work

11:40 — Midday Prayer ~ "Sext"
Examination of conscience

12:00 NOON Angelus
Dinner
Midafternoon Prayer ~ "None"
Work

2:30 PM Spiritual Reading

3:00 — Work

4:30 — Evening Prayer ~ "Vespers"
Silent Prayer (one hour)

Supper (or, during the fast,
"Collation", a simple repast)

7:15 — Recreation

8:15 — Night Prayer ~ "Compline",
with examination of conscience
Office of Readings ~ "Matins"
"Great Silence" begins ~ Withdraw to cells for quiet time to read, or write, or pray...

11:00 — Retire
[/quote]

Looking at that horarium, I count 6 1/2 hours of sleep. Even if I loved the community, I couldn't survive. I'd be going to bed the minute prayers ended, and even then I'd be falling asleep during the day. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/snore.gif[/img]

But, since you said you usually get 5 hours of sleep, if the horarium in your possible future community is similar to this one, 6 1/2 hours will seem like a luxury!

Off-topic thought: It took me the longest time before I realized that "None" was part of the LOTH. I'd wonder, "Why are they going out of their way to say that there is no midafternoon prayer?" [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/duh.gif[/img]

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='25 June 2010 - 08:28 PM' timestamp='1277515731' post='2134367']
I wish the Hawthorne Dominicans had an horarium on their website... [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif[/img]
[/quote]

I suspect it's very hard to keep to a regular horarium in a nursing order. Unlike teachers, nurses work all hours of the day and night. That said, I thought I remember that somewhere on Hawthorne Dominican's site, one of the Sisters described what her typical day was like. Forgive me if I've mixed up my Orders, but I don't remember ever visiting the Web site of a nursing Order except the Hawthorne Dominicans.

OnlySunshine

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='25 June 2010 - 09:36 PM' timestamp='1277516174' post='2134372']
I suspect it's very hard to keep to a regular horarium in a nursing order. Unlike teachers, nurses work all hours of the day and night. That said, I thought I remember that somewhere on Hawthorne Dominican's site, one of the Sisters described what her typical day was like. Forgive me if I've mixed up my Orders, but I don't remember ever visiting the Web site of a nursing Order except the Hawthorne Dominicans.
[/quote]

This is, I believe, the closest they have to an horarium:

[url="http://www.hawthorne-dominicans.org/s305.htm"]A Day In Our Lives[/url]

The community I'm discerning with has a "retreat morning" every Sunday - you get up whenever you want, do morning prayer and breakfast on your own, and keep silence until Mass at noon. Yay for sleeping in on Sundays! :saint:

IgnatiusofLoyola

[quote name='morostheos' date='25 June 2010 - 09:11 PM' timestamp='1277518261' post='2134381']
The community I'm discerning with has a "retreat morning" every Sunday - you get up whenever you want, do morning prayer and breakfast on your own, and keep silence until Mass at noon. Yay for sleeping in on Sundays! [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/saint.gif[/img]
[/quote]

That sounds very civilized.

It's probably too much to ask that you'd have the Sunday paper to browse, but you can't have everything. Besides, unless you get several copies, someone else would always have the section of the paper you wanted to read. It happens even when you have only two people as a married couple. It would definitely be a test of charity to share one copy of the Sunday paper among a community. Better not to have it at all. In any case, although the Sunday paper is interesting, its contents are not always "edifying" or anything you can't live without knowing. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/book.gif[/img]

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='25 June 2010 - 08:32 PM' timestamp='1277515951' post='2134370']
Looking at that horarium, I count 6 1/2 hours of sleep. Even if I loved the community, I couldn't survive. I'd be going to bed the minute prayers ended, and even then I'd be falling asleep during the day. [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/snore.gif[/img]

But, since you said you usually get 5 hours of sleep, if the horarium in your possible future community is similar to this one, 6 1/2 hours will seem like a luxury!

Off-topic thought: It took me the longest time before I realized that "None" was part of the LOTH. I'd wonder, "Why are they going out of their way to say that there is no midafternoon prayer?" [img]http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/public/style_emoticons/default/duh.gif[/img]
[/quote]

They said that if one wishes you can go to bed right after compline while their official lights out time is 10 pm. Everyone is in their cell after compline so it doesn't matter if you're reading praying or sleeping. They also said that there's an hour in the afternoon around 2 or 3 that can be used as nap time instead of spiritual reading of which they have two hours a day. Not that spiritual reading isn't important it's just that if you happen to fall asleep it's ok. Even from the outside I got the sense that their days are very balanced compared to the average person's day out in the world. They also have two days a week that they call hermit or pick up days where they spend more quiet time and the schedule is a bit different, more relaxed in a way.

Edited by vee8

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Sorry if this is misplaced, but I wanted to share and see what others think...

So, this past week, I've been at a camp for Junior High students. This year they inaugurated a rotation during reconciliation time so each group would go around to four stations during that time (Reconciliation, Rosary, Stations of the Cross, and Adoration). I asked if I could lead the youths in prayer during Adoration. We sang a song (Psalm 51 specifically), read some Scripture (The Annunciation), explained a bit about the Real Presence and lead them in a little meditation to focus them on Christ's presence in the Eucharist and listening to Him, and we did some petitions at the end. It was over two hours in a hot and humid room with at least 50 people at a time, and it ended up being very exhausting physically (even though I did not move much!) I was really kinda out of it for a little while after as well, but it was so beautiful and wonderful to spend so much time in service & prayer before Jesus, present in the Most Blessed Sacrament.

Well, on the last day as the kiddos were all boarding the bus to return home, one young lady said that I really reminded her of an angel and that during Adoration it was like my eyes were glowing! At first, I had no idea what to say in response to that. Eventually, I stumbled over a few words about the gifts I saw in her during the week.

How do you respond to things like this?

I think what you said about the gifts you saw in her was a great response.

Things like that are always awkward though, I always don't want to just say thanks because that feels smug, but at the same time it's important to realize that things like that come from God and it's important to not discount the gifts He gives. If I were in that situation, I would probably say something about the transforming power of the Eucharist, although everything I'm thinking of right now just doesn't sound quite right.

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='25 June 2010 - 01:55 PM' timestamp='1277488542' post='2134112']
Pet Peeve #4: It seems that all parishes have decided to only offer confessions on Saturdays immediately prior to the Vigil Mass.

I don't know about the rest of the world, but this is a [i]terribly[/i] inconvenient time for me. I don't generally go to the Vigil, so I'm usually doing something with family.

Why are there rarely confession times outside of that? *grumble* <_<

On another random note, it seems like VS has gone quiet. But maybe I'm the only phool without a life that notices these things.
[/quote]

We have confessions at my parish on Tuesday evenings, 6-7:30pm. To say the least, I share your frustration. :(

I can't drive, so I can only get there when I can find a ride. I find that time rather inconvenient. I wish there were confessions before Sunday Masses. That would be MUCH more convenient. Alas.

[quote name='IgnatiusofLoyola' date='25 June 2010 - 03:55 PM' timestamp='1277495735' post='2134150']
I think all of Phatmass has been quieter. Maybe people are on vacation, or at work, or (gasp!) having a life!

I log in and check posts, but I can't think of anything interesting to say. Maybe the heat has slowed us down.

Note to Vee8: Why would you expect to get more sleep in the convent? In virtually every horarium I read on the Internet, the time for sleep is 7 hours or less a night. I truly envy people who can be energetic on 7 hours of sleep. You get so much more done!
[/quote]

I've been out of town the past few days. :sweat: Now I'm back to chat it up! :lol:

:spike:

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='25 June 2010 - 05:24 PM' timestamp='1277501094' post='2134191']
Siesta!!! :yahoo:

I love siesta!!! I became a little kid again in college... taking naps everyday... but then I gave them up for lent. And didn't go back to them because I technically didn't [i]need[/i] the extra sleep and I needed to get my work done, since I was overloading every semester.

Could've used a nap today, though... I went to bed around 1:30am and woke up at 4am, couldn't fall back asleep, and have been up since. :doh:
[/quote]

I am [i]so [/i]pro siesta! :woot:

Definitely a necessity when waking up at 5-6am.