An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Random Vocations Chat Type Of Thread

vee

OnlySunshine

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='21 June 2010 - 11:25 PM' timestamp='1277177135' post='2132593']
I've that thought VERY same thing about myself, MM!!! Maaaany times! :sweat:

Thank you so much for your prayers -- you remain in my as well! :bigpray:
[/quote]

I just started a nine-day novena to St. Joseph asking for his prayers.

http://www.ewtn.com/devotionals/novena/joseph.htm

P.S.--You're welcome, LC! From one Dominican soul to another. ;)

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='22 June 2010 - 12:20 AM' timestamp='1277176800' post='2132588']
Oh boy, LC! That is a conundrum! :blink: I'll say some prayers for you!

[b]You know what really bothers me sometimes? What if I am not listening to God? What if it IS God telling me to hurry up and I keep thinking it's ME? He'd probably be ready to give up on me soon.[/b] :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Oh my goodness, that's [i]exactly[/i] what keeps going through my mind. I know I want to God's will and I [i]think[/i] I know what it is... but I don't trust myself. I trust God, but not my ability to follow Him faithfully, to follow His will.

I'm struggling with this myself. But the best advice I've heard this: Keep doing what you think is God's will until He tells you differently. God knows your sincerity in trying to follow His will and your desire to always do so, He'll make it clear if He wants something differently. God doesn't try to play mind tricks with us.

Thomas Merton's prayer is a good one for this:

[i]My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you and I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing. And I know that if I do this, you will lead me by the right road although I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death, I will not fear, for you are ever with me and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.[/i]

[quote name='southern california guy' date='21 June 2010 - 10:19 PM' timestamp='1277176779' post='2132587']
Wow, I notice that most of you guys are women? Where are the men? Don't any men want to become Priests?

Don't look at me!!!

I guess I don't... :sadder: I think I'd be a terrible priest...

What's the average age for starting a religious vocation? It's not like 18, is it?

(Forgive me I've been drinking beer. But it's very good beer! It's oatmeal stout!!!)
[/quote]

:lol: :cheers:

There are some guys around here but they're pretty quiet in comparision. You'd make a terrible priest, I'd make a horrible nun but God calls whoever He wants...

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='21 June 2010 - 11:23 PM' timestamp='1277176988' post='2132590']
Gosh, they require a ticket [i]first[/i]? :shock: That seems counter-intuitive if I ever heard of it...

Now, you'll have to forgive me, because I have absolutely no understanding of visas/passports or anything like that. So what I say here might be completely null.

Say you bought the non-refundable ticket. Then, God-forbid, you're not accepted for your VISA for some stupid silly reason. Would you be able to still fly across the pond and continue to work on the visa problem while you're there (presuming that you'd be able to fly on a simple passport)? I mean, obviously you'd still have to deal with the visa problem, but you'd have some time to do that while there, wouldn't you? (I don't know how long you can technically travel on a passport.)

I don't know. Definitely pray about it if you haven't already (although I'm not entirely sure how we're supposed receive answers about these types of things). Then I'd say go for it... buy the non-refundable ticket, apply for you visa, and go for it.

It may be donated money, but I like to think (I certainly hope so, at least!!!) that when people make these types of donations they know that sometimes things go astray... not according to plans.... Of course, it usually doesn't and nobody hopes it will. But sometimes it does. And I think people understand that.

If there's no good reason to think you'll have troubles with the Visa, then I think you're good to go with the non-refundable ticket.
[/quote]

I think the counter-intuitive nature of this whole Visa ordeal is exactly what's driving me bonkers. :crazy: :lol:

I've thought about the prospect of having to do the Visa while in England (if denied here in the U.S.), but the Visa funding is all on my end. Applying for a "Minister of Religion" Visa here in the U.S. is £270; however, if you apply for one while in the UK via post, it's £475. And if you're applying in person in the UK, it's £730. If that's not crazy talk, I don't know what is. :blink:

With the current exchange rate, applying from the U.S. is $398 (pretty awesome considering a few months ago it was nearly $500 because of the exchange). If I applied in the UK (via post) it would be $701 (and in person $1,077).

I've been praying about this, but like you said, I have no idea how I'm supposed to receive an answer about this. :lol: I mean, if it's based on my own perceived intuition, then I suppose I should just go ahead and buy the non-refundable ticket and apply for the Visa. Take a really big leap of faith and trust that God's just going to have to take care of it.

Also, thank you for this little insight:

[quote]It may be donated money, but I like to think (I certainly hope so, at least!!!) that when people make these types of donations they know that sometimes things go astray... not according to plans.... Of course, it usually doesn't and nobody hopes it will. But sometimes it does. And I think people understand that.[/quote]

That really does help me in my pondering and brings a breath of relief. :) God bless you, TB, for saying that! :grouphug:

OnlySunshine

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='21 June 2010 - 11:35 PM' timestamp='1277177752' post='2132595']
Oh my goodness, that's [i]exactly[/i] what keeps going through my mind. I know I want to God's will and I [i]think[/i] I know what it is... but I don't trust myself. I trust God, but not my ability to follow Him faithfully, to follow His will.

I'm struggling with this myself. But the best advice I've heard this: Keep doing what you think is God's will until He tells you differently. God knows your sincerity in trying to follow His will and your desire to always do so, He'll make it clear if He wants something differently. God doesn't try to play mind tricks with us.

[i]My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going. I do not see the road ahead of me. I cannot know for certain where it will end. Nor do I really know myself, and the fact that I think I am following your will does not mean that I am actually doing so. But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you and I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing. And I know that if I do this, you will lead me by the right road although I may know nothing about it. Therefore will I trust you always though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death, I will not fear, for you are ever with me and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.[/i]
[/quote]
The funny thing is:

I've given this advice to other people before on this forum and others, so why is it so hard to follow? :wacko:

Thanks, TB. :)

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

laetitia crucis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='21 June 2010 - 11:35 PM' timestamp='1277177752' post='2132595']

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae']
You know what really bothers me sometimes? What if I am not listening to God? What if it IS God telling me to hurry up and I keep thinking it's ME? He'd probably be ready to give up on me soon.
[/quote]

I'm struggling with this myself. But the best advice I've heard this: [b]Keep doing what you think is God's will until He tells you differently. God knows your sincerity in trying to follow His will and your desire to always do so, He'll make it clear if He wants something differently. God doesn't try to play mind tricks with us.[/b]

[/quote]

+1 on the best advice you've heard! That's AWESOME. Definitely something that I've been needing to hear. And definitely something I can personally attest to. :sweat:

I think the group of us here are a bunch of peas in a pod -- it's uncanny!

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='southern california guy' date='22 June 2010 - 12:19 AM' timestamp='1277176779' post='2132587']
Wow, I notice that most of you guys are women? Where are the men? Don't any men want to become Priests?

Don't look at me!!!

I guess I don't... :sadder: I think I'd be a terrible priest...

What's the average age for starting a religious vocation? It's not like 18, is it?

(Forgive me I've been drinking beer. But it's very good beer! It's oatmeal stout!!!)
[/quote]

Oh, I'm fairly certain that there are men out there discerning the priesthood and religious life. But it doesn't surprise me that they're not filling in the threads here at phatmass in the VS.

I think it's just the nature of discernment for men and women. While admittedly a generalization, I think women have a tendency to over-think, obsess, and generally over-talk these things. Guys tend to have a bit of a different approach. They don't generally wanna talk about it with anyone else. They may have one confidant but not necessarily and probably not something they talk about often. Us girls... well, we tend to talk a little bit more ;). Of course, that's only after we get a little more comfortable with the idea.

Just my thoughts. Could be totally wrong though!

[quote name='laetitia crucis' date='21 June 2010 - 10:43 PM' timestamp='1277178204' post='2132600']
I think the counter-intuitive nature of this whole Visa ordeal is exactly what's driving me bonkers. :crazy: :lol:

I've thought about the prospect of having to do the Visa while in England (if denied here in the U.S.), but the Visa funding is all on my end. Applying for a "Minister of Religion" Visa here in the U.S. is £270; however, if you apply for one while in the UK via post, it's £475. And if you're applying in person in the UK, it's £730. If that's not crazy talk, I don't know what is. :blink:

With the current exchange rate, applying from the U.S. is $398 (pretty awesome considering a few months ago it was nearly $500 because of the exchange). If I applied in the UK (via post) it would be $701 (and in person $1,077).

I've been praying about this, but like you said, I have no idea how I'm supposed to receive an answer about this. :lol: I mean, if it's based on my own perceived intuition, then I suppose I should just go ahead and buy the non-refundable ticket and apply for the Visa. Take a really big leap of faith and trust that God's just going to have to take care of it.

Also, thank you for this little insight:

That really does help me in my pondering and brings a breath of relief. :) God bless you, TB, for saying that! :grouphug:
[/quote]

Prayers for you LC and my two cents ( or whatever it is depending on the exchange rate) would be to get the cheap non refundable ticket and apply for the visa while you're still in the US.

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' date='21 June 2010 - 11:56 PM' timestamp='1277178977' post='2132605']
Oh, I'm fairly certain that there are men out there discerning the priesthood and religious life. But it doesn't surprise me that they're not filling in the threads here at phatmass in the VS.

I think it's just the nature of discernment for men and women. While admittedly a generalization, I think women have a tendency to over-think, obsess, and generally over-talk these things. Guys tend to have a bit of a different approach. They don't generally wanna talk about it with anyone else. They may have one confidant but not necessarily and probably not something they talk about often. Us girls... well, we tend to talk a little bit more ;). Of course, that's only after we get a little more comfortable with the idea.

Just my thoughts. Could be totally wrong though!
[/quote]

That's true... I don't mind talking about my vocation with y'all because you're Catholic, discerning, and I don't know you! Hardly anyone I actually know knows all that much about my vocation, though. I'll probably just disappear one day and they'll have to try and figure out what happened to me.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='22 June 2010 - 12:45 AM' timestamp='1277178356' post='2132602']
The funny thing is:

I've given this advice to other people before on this forum and others, so why is it so hard to follow? :wacko:

Thanks, TB. :)
[/quote]

Haha, I can repeat the advice 'till I'm blue in the face, but I have a hard time following it myself!!

:topsy:

laetitia crucis

[quote name='vee8' date='21 June 2010 - 11:57 PM' timestamp='1277179040' post='2132606']
Prayers for you LC and my two cents ( or whatever it is depending on the exchange rate) would be to get the cheap non refundable ticket and apply for the visa while you're still in the US.
[/quote]

Thank you, vee8! :cheers:

I've been somewhat distressed about this whole flight/Visa ordeal that I almost considered making a poll! :sweat: :paperbag: Hahahaha!

I'm wondering if this is perhaps the way God is speaking to me, through my dear VSers... :saint: ^_^

IgnatiusofLoyola

My vote would be to buy the cheap nonrefundable ticket and trust God for the Visa. (I withdraw this advice if you have been involved in heinous activities that might cause the UK to consider you a danger to the Queen.)

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' date='21 June 2010 - 09:44 PM' timestamp='1277174696' post='2132564']
There are sometimes (like today) where impatience gets the better of me and I don't feel like waiting anymore. It takes all I have to slow myself down. I really wish sometimes God would get a move-on and hurry this whole process up. <_< Discernment is bittersweet. I don't understand why it takes so long, sometimes. If I didn't have things to keep myself busy like a job or doing stuff at home, I'd drive myself crazy waiting.

Maybe I need to read [i]Abandonment to Divine Providence[/i] and [i]I Believe in Love[/i] again...
[/quote]
All I can say is I think I know how you feel.

brightsadness

Yesterday my Mom told me that I act like a "love struck teenager" when I keep looking through my stuff for the monastery. It's a bit hard for my family right now. I try to hide my excitement as each day brings entering closer but I know it shows. I love my folks but He has made me fall so in love with Him. It's hard to wait.

Edited by brightsadness

Wow, I forgot how much I love this thread!!! That prayer by Thomas Merton is amazing TB!! Thanks so much for sharing!! Even though I think I know what I'm doing for at least the next three years, I feel like somehow I'm jumping out into the deep onto a path that will take me who knows where. Somedays, while I'm slowly gathering up the things that I'll take with me, I can't help but think to myself, "what the (beep) am I doing?". I feel like I'm walking into total darkness, with the hope that someday I'll see the light. It can be rather frusrating. :sadder:

other days, I feel exactly like brightsadness here:

[quote name='brightsadness' date='22 June 2010 - 05:49 PM' timestamp='1277243373' post='2132954']
Yesterday my Mom told me that I act like a "love struck teenager" when I keep looking through my stuff for the monastery. It's a bit hard for my family right now. I try to hide my excitement as each day brings entering closer but I know it shows. I love my folks but He has made me fall so in love with Him. It's hard to wait.
[/quote]

I must say, it's a very dizzying rollercoaster ride.
But then again, isn't that what typically happens when you're in Love?
:love:

Edited by JTheresa