An Old School Catholic Message Board

You Know You Are A Future Nun...

LaPetiteSoeur

DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1350848581' post='2495716']
-When your mom asks "So even if your sister name was (insert religious name here) we could still call you (insert birth name here) when you came home to visit right?
[/quote]

My sister has asked me that!!!!!!!!! I honestly have no clue. I have a list of questions to ask the DSMME when I go visit them in May. :|

AccountDeleted

[quote name='i<3franciscans' timestamp='1350848581' post='2495716']
-When your mom asks "So even if your sister name was (insert religious name here) we could still call you (insert birth name here) when you came home to visit right?
[/quote]

Your family can call you whatever they like! :) You might ask them to call you by your religious name if it matters a lot to you, but there are no rules about this in any convent I have been in. Of course, if they called the convent and asked to speak to you on the phone (if allowed) it would certainly avoid confusion if they used your name in religion because not all sisters know the full secular name of their sisters, especially if that sister entered before they did and they never knew them as an aspirant or postulant.

petitpèlerin

I learned my professor's baptismal name when a woman called him "Philippe" and he turned around and responded to her. I was confused, but then learned later that his parents had been visiting. Then it all became clear . . . :)

It's hard for a family to give up their child to religious life, even when it is also a joy. I think it would be too much to expect them to use their new religious names, except when speaking to people who know their child by their religious name.

Edited by petitpèlerin

[quote name='petitpèlerin' timestamp='1350991058' post='2496262']
I learned my professor's baptismal name when a woman called him "Philippe" and he turned around and responded to her. I was confused, but then learned later that his parents had been visiting. Then it all became clear . . . :)

It's hard for a family to give up their child to religious life, even when it is also a joy. I think it would be too much to expect them to use their new religious names, except when speaking to people who know their child by their religious name.
[/quote]

My friend's mom still calls her by her baptismal name, but it's also part of her religious name, too. :)

emmaAntigonos

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1351008916' post='2496320']

My friend's mom still calls her by her baptismal name, but it's also part of her religious name, too. :)
[/quote]

I think I'd tell my relatives to call me by whatever name feels comfortable for them. [I seem to remember, in The Nun's Story, that when her father visited the convent he always called Sister Luke by her baptismal name]

DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='nunsense' timestamp='1350953395' post='2496130']
Your family can call you whatever they like! :) You might ask them to call you by your religious name if it matters a lot to you, but there are no rules about this in any convent I have been in. Of course, if they called the convent and asked to speak to you on the phone (if allowed) it would certainly avoid confusion if they used your name in religion because not all sisters know the full secular name of their sisters, especially if that sister entered before they did and they never knew them as an aspirant or postulant.
[/quote]

Wow, your birth names are supposed to be kept that secret? :eek: Not like I like my birth name or anything. I actually hate it. >.<

Edited by DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='DiscerningCatholic' timestamp='1351012573' post='2496340']
Wow, your birth names are supposed to be kept that secret? :eek: Not like I like my birth name or anything. I actually hate it. >.<
[/quote]

I don't think they would be secret, you just wouldn't have any need to know their birth names since you wouldn't be using it.

[/quote]

I love my baptismal name. It's not one that you hear very often as it is an older name. I'm going to have a really tough time changing it since I love it so much and also because my Sisters have the option of using their baptismal name with Sr. added as their religious name, or a whole new name altogether. The newest novice kept her baptismal name and added "Sr." to it. I really love the idea of being named Sr. Elizabeth (after St. Elizabeth of the Visitation) or Sr. Therese (for the saint of Lisieux). I also love the tradition in the Bible of those gifted with a mission from God being given a new name which signifies their specific mission. Like this:

Saul became Paul
Abram became Abraham
Jacob became Israel
Sarai became Sarah
Simon became Peter

Edited by MaterMisericordiae

DiscerningCatholic

We're gonna have to start a new thread for this soon, guys, cause it's gonna die in the near future... :(

i<3franciscans

[/quote]
I have heard that some religious change their name because they look at it like you are enter a "new life" so to speak so with that comes a new name.

And I am going to be really said when this thread dies... I might have to copy and paste it and make it a word document.

DiscerningCatholic

And you die to your old self.

YES. MUST COPY AND PASTE ENTIRE THREAD. :| I don't have that much free time.

ChristinaTherese

I'm pretty sure that the thread will still be accessible, just like the other threads (on this page no less) that have been closed are still readable. And it would certainly remain readable if someone started a new thread and put a link to this one in the OP. Then we'd even be able to come back easily whenever we wanted to.

DiscerningCatholic

As in tell you that Franciscans are better? I changed my mind; I don't need another book on my bookshelf, thanks. :P

DiscerningCatholic

[quote name='Christina Thérèse' timestamp='1351120059' post='2497172']
And it would certainly remain readable if someone started a new thread and put a link to this one in the OP.
[/quote]

See? Original posters even go by the Dominican abbreviation. Even if the original poster is a Franciscan. :evil: