An Old School Catholic Message Board

Good Movies You've Seen Recently

Sarah147

Basilisa Marie

This is an oldie and Danish, but I really really enjoyed "Babette's Feast." It's subtitled, but has a wonderful message about service. Babette is a Catholic Frenchwoman fleeing persecution, and ends up cooking and keeping house for two elderly sisters. The sisters are keeping up a congregation of very strict, austere Protestants founded by their father. But they eventually let Babette prepare a meal celebrating their father's would-be 100th birthday, and everyone's pretty surprised.

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1309584482' post='2262010']
This is an oldie and Danish, but I really really enjoyed "Babette's Feast." It's subtitled, but has a wonderful message about service. Babette is a Catholic Frenchwoman fleeing persecution, and ends up cooking and keeping house for two elderly sisters. The sisters are keeping up a congregation of very strict, austere Protestants founded by their father. But they eventually let Babette prepare a meal celebrating their father's would-be 100th birthday, and everyone's pretty surprised.
[/quote]

Grrrrrrrrrrrreat movie! A friend got me to see it. :)

It's like they took penance and poverty to a scrupulous extreme.

Edited by JoyfulLife

cmotherofpirl

One of the loveliest movies I have seen in a very long time is [i]Arranged[/i] that came out in 2007 and can be found on Netflix. Its a 10 in my book.

The Body with Antonio Banderas (TV-14. This is a secular movie about Religion. A Religious friend thought it was a great movie. I on the other hand found it a little shaky, but others may like it. It had a little swearing and a Priest getting a little close with a woman.)

Edited by JoyfulLife

ContemporaryCaflicCrusader

I am Number 4 is really good. It has been a while since my Mom Dad and I all agreed on a movie to enjoy together, let alone agreed on a movie and there was mutual enjoyment for everyone. Seriously its been months if not years, so that was real good, ps. I'm going from Lurker to PM Newbie!!!!! :clap:

[quote name='Basilisa Marie' timestamp='1309584482' post='2262010']
[/quote]

Great movie... very Catholic. Far better take on enjoying food compared to Julie and Julia.

True Grit
(good but not great)
Green Lantern
(kinda lame but not as bad as i expected... btw, 3d smells of elderberries imho)
Ip Man 2
(substantial kung-fu flick--on netflix instant)
Despicable Me
(very good meaningful family movie--i really enjoyed it)

DemonSlayer

I haven't watched Ip Man 2 yet, but the first one was amesome, much better than Jet Li's overrated film Fearless.

Edited by DemonSlayer

[quote name='MaterMisericordiae' timestamp='1309798787' post='2263035']
PS I Love You
My Cousin Vinny
Because I Said So
[/quote]

"My biological clock is ticking!" THUMP THUMP THUMP

"You YOOTS"

Great movies related to vocations:

[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=100335"]One

[/url]
[url="http://www.phatmass.com/phorum/index.php?showtopic=113265"]Two[/url]