Adrestia Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 I have mixed feelings. I've never smoked pot and have no desire to. My family is Jamaican, so I find it particularly irritating when people assume that ganja is a part of my culture. (The only time that I have even been offered pot in Jamaica was when I was visiting with American friends.) That being said, I think [b]everything[/b] should be legal and very highly regulated. Why not turn criminals into tax-payers?
Papist Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 [url="http://www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/US.php?id=2012"]http://www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/US.php?id=2012[/url]
Sternhauser Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1296158892' post='2205179'] [url="http://www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/US.php?id=2012"]http://www.ewtnnews. .../US.php?id=2012[/url] [/quote] "The priest also cited the Vatican’s Pontifical Council for Health Care Ministry, whose pastoral handbook “Church, Drugs, and Drug Addiction” teaches that cannabis use is “incompatible with Christian morality” because it is an intoxicant that dims reason and potentially is damaging to the integrity of one’s body and soul." Clearly. Because alcohol doesn't do that. ~Sternhauser
Nihil Obstat Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 (edited) [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1296156106' post='2205146'] I wasn't considering drug dealers killing one another "domestic violence." When I think "domestic violence" I think more along the lines of spousal abuse. I guess you meant something broader by "domestic drug violence"? I agree that it would weaken the drug cartels, and likely ease the load for the police force. I'm just not sure that I think it would end up better for people on a family level. In my[s] experience[/s] observations recreational drug use hasn't exactly been a positive influence in family life. [/quote] Sorry, I meant domestic to mean "within the country". :D Forgot about the other sense. [quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1296156271' post='2205150'] We for sure need drinking and smoking age laws. [/quote] Our culture has evolved to such that in the short term, a lack of drinking age laws would be a bit chaotic, but I believe that in the long term these laws do nothing but harm. (I also don't think these laws are moral.) Edited January 27, 2011 by Nihil Obstat
Guest Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1296158892' post='2205179'] [url="http://www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/US.php?id=2012"]http://www.ewtnnews.com/catholic-news/US.php?id=2012[/url] [/quote] Hmm seems from that the church is against marijauna. They say its incompatible with a christian life. That's harsh.
Wikitiki Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 (edited) [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AYvYZB1rLI[/media] Lesson: When you do drugs, your favorite cartoon characters will show up. Edited January 27, 2011 by Wikitiki
Papist Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 [quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1296159036' post='2205182'] "The priest also cited the Vatican's Pontifical Council for Health Care Ministry, whose pastoral handbook "Church, Drugs, and Drug Addiction" teaches that cannabis use is "incompatible with Christian morality" because it is an intoxicant that dims reason and potentially is damaging to the integrity of one's body and soul." Clearly. Because alcohol doesn't do that. ~Sternhauser [/quote] [left]The article is not addressing alcohol, only marijuana. Just b/c Fr. is only addressing marijuana doesn't imply that whatever he says, he is saying opposite applies to all things not marijuana[e.g. alcohol]. [/left]
Guest Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 [quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1296159036' post='2205182'] "The priest also cited the Vatican’s Pontifical Council for Health Care Ministry, whose pastoral handbook “Church, Drugs, and Drug Addiction” teaches that cannabis use is “incompatible with Christian morality” because it is an intoxicant that dims reason and potentially is damaging to the integrity of one’s body and soul." Clearly. Because alcohol doesn't do that. ~Sternhauser [/quote] Exactly dude. What the heck. lol
Winchester Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 [quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1296156271' post='2205150'] We for sure need drinking and smoking age laws. [/quote] Yeah, they're super effective. Legalize marijuana. Might want to decriminalize some other drugs, as well. Enforce the laws against the undesirable behavior associated with intemperate drug use--this would probably be more effective.
Sarah147 Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 It's illegal as far as I know. I've heard it can cause hallucinations, unreality, delusions, psychosis, craziness, etc. Nooooooooooo thank you. A totally different ballgame from having a glass of martini, margarita, wine, etc. Just say no to drugs, eh?
Guest Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 [quote name='JoyfulLife' timestamp='1296159992' post='2205198'] Just say no to drugs, eh? [/quote] Alcohol is a drug. The side effects you described won't happen from a small amount of marijuana. If abused though those side effects could happen.
Sternhauser Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 (edited) [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1296159479' post='2205190'] [left]The article is not addressing alcohol, only marijuana. Just b/c Fr. is only addressing marijuana doesn't imply that whatever he says, he is saying opposite applies to all things not marijuana[e.g. alcohol]. [/left][/quote] He said that marijuana use is "incompatible with Christian morality" [i]because [/i]it does A, B and C. Alcohol also does A, B and C. Therefore, if the laws of logic still apply, the prohibition must also apply to alcohol. No, I've never used the kind bud, but I am opposed to violence being used against those who choose to use it. Additionally, I've never heard of a stoned biker gang destroying a barroom. They have, on occassion, destroyed bags of Doritos. ~Sternhauser Edited January 27, 2011 by Sternhauser
Guest Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 [quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1296160511' post='2205207'] He said that marijuana use is "incompatible with Christian morality" [i]because [/i]it does A, B and C. Alcohol also does A, B and C. Therefore, if the laws of logic still apply, the prohibition must also apply to alcohol. ~Sternhauser [/quote] Yup.
Maximilianus Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 The marijuana leaf looks like a japanese maple leaf, so when you get a big japanes maple shrub it looks like a huge marijuana plant
dairygirl4u2c Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 it used to be militantly opposed even here on phatmass. just in the years i've been here, those who are opposed to it are now the ones who dn't speak up as much, caue the majority who says 'legalize' speaks up. that's even on a conservative board and people like here. but what about that bottomline arguement that those conservatives always made that the catechism says recreational drug use is a mortal sin?
dairygirl4u2c Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 while pot doesn't have worse effects than booze or cigarettes, espeically when they are combined... it is somethin that could be said to be worse than those two. the way you'd argue this, is to that that there's an inherent psychoactive effect that pot gives that either of the other two doesn't. that is violative of the sacredness of human faculty in a way that pshsical deterioration of the other two, doesn't get to.
Nihil Obstat Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 [quote name='dairygirl4u2c' timestamp='1296161449' post='2205215'] it used to be militantly opposed even here on phatmass. just in the years i've been here, those who are opposed to it are now the ones who dn't speak up as much, caue the majority who says 'legalize' speaks up. that's even on a conservative board and people like here. [/quote] Some of us changed our minds.
Papist Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 [quote name='Sternhauser' timestamp='1296160511' post='2205207'] He said that marijuana use is "incompatible with Christian morality" [i]because [/i]it does A, B and C. Alcohol also does A, B and C. Therefore, if the laws of logic still apply, the prohibition must also apply to alcohol.[/quote] Until Fr. speaks on alcohol, I would refrain from projecting his marijuana assertion to alcohol. [quote]No, I've never used the kind bud, but I am opposed to violence being used against those who choose to use it. Additionally, I've never heard of a stoned biker gang destroying a barroom. They have, on occassion, destroyed bags of Doritos. ~Sternhauser [/quote] Oh! Now I see. Thanks for clearing it up.
AudreyGrace Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 Many European countries have no drinking/smoking age. In Italy, it's not a big deal if kids drink with their parents. It's a cultural issue. Personally, as far as the drinking age of 21 in the USA goes, I think it's stupid because if we can send soldiers overseas to risk their lives when they're only 18, they should be allowed to have some beers at a pub with their friends. Also, from my observations, underage drinking is done mostly for the thrill of it, because it's illegal if you're under 21. Lowering the age (or getting rid of it) would get rid of a lot of "thrill". Might go the same way with mary jane.
Nihil Obstat Posted January 27, 2011 Posted January 27, 2011 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1296161866' post='2205222'] Until Fr. speaks on alcohol, I would refrain from projecting his marijuana assertion to alcohol. [/quote] Stern is right, that logic is valid. If those are the reasons we are to be opposed to marijuana, we must also be opposed to alcohol. It's just valid logic, so instead we have to debate on soundness. Alcohol also "dims reason and potentially is damaging to the integrity of one’s body and soul", and "alters brain function". Yet alcohol is legal, as it should be. Alcohol is moral to take into one's body in moderation. In fact it is a great thing in moderation. Why should we treat marijuana differently?[quote name='AudreyGrace' timestamp='1296162156' post='2205229'] Many European countries have no drinking/smoking age. In Italy, it's not a big deal if kids drink with their parents. It's a cultural issue. Personally, as far as the drinking age of 21 in the USA goes, I think it's stupid because if we can send soldiers overseas to risk their lives when they're only 18, they should be allowed to have some beers at a pub with their friends. Also, from my observations, underage drinking is done mostly for the thrill of it, because it's illegal if you're under 21. Lowering the age (or getting rid of it) would get rid of a lot of "thrill". Might go the same way with mary jane. [/quote] Yes, thank you.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now