Guest Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1296172495' post='2205377'] But it takes different amounts for different people. Some people are 2 beer dates, others can down 8 and barely bat an eyelash. I don't discuss people's smoking habits with them all that often, but I know far more people who can drink just one beer and be satisfied than I do people who will only smoke one cigarette or one or two puffs of weed. I'm not saying I think it should be illegal, necessarily, just highlighting that I am leery of it. [/quote] Yai see what you're sayen. Actually I think you should have to get a medical card to use it. Sorta like how they are doing in california. There's things about marijuana I don't like. There is deffitenly a weird spirtual sence to it when you have a buzz. I think you open yourself up to be attacked by satan in the mind. If you're not grounded in your faith I think smoking pot can be very very dangerous.
Nihil Obstat Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1296172984' post='2205391'] You're going to have to expand on the "only alcoholics" line for me. I'm confused as to what exactly you meant by that. I think just as many people would be smoking weed to get high even if it was legalized, just the same way plenty of people (of legal drinking age) drink solely to get drunk. Not all of them would be, but plenty enough. (Or did you mean that there would be incentive for weaker mj? I'm lost. lol) [/quote] What I mean is that the nature of something like Scotch whisky doesn't really lend itself to binge drinking. People don't drink a litre of Scotch in one sitting, because that's just not what's done. A litre of beer on the other hand, is not that odd. I think we could see parallels with marijuana. Stronger marijuana meant to be taken in small amounts, (maybe in a bong?), and 'light' marijuana meant to be taken in larger quantities. So yea, I do think that there's an economic incentive for weaker marijuana, but not under our current situation. Only if if were legalized.
Pontifite 7 of 10 Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 (edited) Some people keep offering the stuff to me. They think i'll be funner high. I don't really feel like it. Edited January 28, 2011 by Pontifite 7 of 10
Guest Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 [quote name='Pontifite 7 of 10' timestamp='1296173558' post='2205398'] Some people keep offering the stuff to me. They think i'll be funner high. I don't really feel like it. [/quote] Say no. Stay sober. Sober is the best.
dUSt Posted January 28, 2011 Author Posted January 28, 2011 Another argument is if marijuana was legalized, it would become less "popular" among thrill seeking teens, which would therefore make them use more dangerous drugs to fill the need for their rebellious tendencies.
IcePrincessKRS Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1296173276' post='2205396'] What I mean is that the nature of something like Scotch whisky doesn't really lend itself to binge drinking. People don't drink a litre of Scotch in one sitting, because that's just not what's done. A litre of beer on the other hand, is not that odd. I think we could see parallels with marijuana. Stronger marijuana meant to be taken in small amounts, (maybe in a bong?), and 'light' marijuana meant to be taken in larger quantities. So yea, I do think that there's an economic incentive for weaker marijuana, but not under our current situation. Only if if were legalized. [/quote] Ok, I think I get what you're saying regarding weed(finally). Although I do think that plenty of people binge on hard liquors... you have a refined palette and prefer to savor, but an alcoholic doesn't think that way. Just seeing the liquor store on the weekends is enough to convince me of that.
dUSt Posted January 28, 2011 Author Posted January 28, 2011 [quote name='Pontifite 7 of 10' timestamp='1296173558' post='2205398'] Some people keep offering the stuff to me. They think i'll be funner high. I don't really feel like it. [/quote] How could YOU possibly get any funner!? And where is Pontifite 1-6 and 8-10?
Papist Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 (edited) [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1296172822' post='2205388'] I simply don't see an essential difference between use of alcohol and use of marijuana. Except that I wouldn't take marijuana because it's taken in a smoke form, and I think it smells pretty gross too. [/quote] I don't know enough about marijuana to disagree b/c I have never used nor wanted to use. All I can say is, I have never met or heard anyone express any thing other than thier enjoyment is the high, not they smoke b/c of the flavor. Is not the sole purpose of marijuana to get high? I guess one could make the same case for alochol, but that case would not be true for me. Edited January 28, 2011 by Papist
Nihil Obstat Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 (edited) [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1296173976' post='2205402'] Ok, I think I get what you're saying regarding weed(finally). Although I do think that plenty of people binge on hard liquors... you have a refined palette and prefer to savor, but an alcoholic doesn't think that way. Just seeing the liquor store on the weekends is enough to convince me of that. [/quote] That's true, people do binge on hard liquor, but I think it's probably more difficult to binge on, saw, whisky, than it is to binge on beer. [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1296173997' post='2205405'] I don't know enough about marijuana to disagree b/c I have never used nor wanted to use. All I can say is, I have never met or heard anyone express any thing other than thier enjoyment is the high, not they smoke b/c of the flavor. Is not the sole purpose of marijuana to get? I guess one could make the same case for alochol, but that case would not be true for. [/quote] Why do people smoke cigarettes? I don't know either. It looks gross to me. Edited January 28, 2011 by Nihil Obstat
dUSt Posted January 28, 2011 Author Posted January 28, 2011 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1296173997' post='2205405'] Is not the sole purpose of marijuana to get? I guess one could make the same case for alochol, but that case would not be true for. [/quote] I know a little something about weed. When I use to smoke it, I smoked it to get high. But, during that period in my life, I only drank to get drunk. Now that I am wise, I drink craft beer because I love the taste, and the experience of trying new things. I never get drunk. I do know when I was a kid, my dad use to smoke marijuana, and I don't remember him ever being high. All I know is he'd smoke a joint before watching Kung Fu.
rkwright Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 I know I have already made this point, but I still see a somewhat lax attitude towards marijuana that concerns me. To all those reading who occasionally smoke the marijuana... I would really urge you to examine your conscience on this. That money, in some way, most likely ends up fueling the drug wars in Mexico. Those wars are taking numerous lives every day. One border town has had 3,000 murders (thats more than 9/11); if I remember correctly the entire death toll is somewhere in the 20,000 range. Yes work to change the laws - but do not encourage the criminals in their actions.
Guest Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 [quote name='Papist' timestamp='1296173997' post='2205405'] I don't know enough about marijuana to disagree b/c I have never used nor wanted to use. All I can say is, I have never met or heard anyone express any thing other than thier enjoyment is the high, not they smoke b/c of the flavor. Is not the sole purpose of marijuana to get high? I guess one could make the same case for alochol, but that case would not be true for. [/quote] Ya you're right. Its smoked for the buzz. The same reason people drink in MOST cases. The buzz. Abusing and going past the buzz is when the problem comes in and you risk commiting grave sin.
Nihil Obstat Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 [quote name='rkwright' timestamp='1296174257' post='2205412'] I know I have already made this point, but I still see a somewhat lax attitude towards marijuana that concerns me. To all those reading who occasionally smoke the marijuana... I would really urge you to examine your conscience on this. That money, in some way, most likely ends up fueling the drug wars in Mexico. Those wars are taking numerous lives every day. One border town has had 3,000 murders (thats more than 9/11); if I remember correctly the entire death toll is somewhere in the 20,000 range. Yes work to change the laws - but do not encourage the criminals in their actions. [/quote] So what do you think about domestic grow ops that police love to kick down doors and seize?
IcePrincessKRS Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1296174210' post='2205410'] That's true, people do binge on hard liquor, but I think it's probably more difficult to binge on, saw, whisky, than it is to binge on beer. Why do people smoke cigarettes? I don't know either. It looks gross to me. [/quote] I think beer is probably more readily available in quantity+price (you can pick it up at the grocery store or gas station in most states, whereas in many places you have to go to a separate store for liquor and wine), but the allure of hard liquor for many is probably that it takes less to get really drunk. I also kind of think that true alcoholics have their chosen "poison" and they tend to stick with their brand, be that Budweiser (although beer, I think, probably has more wiggle room for varying brands) or Jim Beam.
Papist Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 [quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1296174302' post='2205413'] Ya you're right. Its smoked for the buzz. The same reason people drink in MOST cases. The buzz. Abusing and going past the buzz is when the problem comes in and you risk commiting grave sin. [/quote] Agreed.
Nihil Obstat Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1296174435' post='2205417'] I think beer is probably more readily available in quantity+price (you can pick it up at the grocery store or gas station in most states, whereas in many places you have to go to a separate store for liquor and wine), but the allure of hard liquor for many is probably that it takes less to get really drunk. I also kind of think that true alcoholics have their chosen "poison" and they tend to stick with their brand, be that Budweiser (although beer, I think, probably has more wiggle room for varying brands) or Jim Beam. [/quote] In Canada you can only get beer at liquor stores too. Except Costco has a liquor section.Nicotine affects the brain too. Just not much. Obviously it's a question of where to draw the line. I think that's mostly a question of prudence.
IcePrincessKRS Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 [quote name='IcePrincessKRS' timestamp='1296174435' post='2205417'] I think beer is probably more readily available in quantity+price (you can pick it up at the grocery store or gas station in most states, whereas in many places you have to go to a separate store for liquor and wine), but the allure of hard liquor for many is probably that it takes less to get really drunk. I also kind of think that true alcoholics have their chosen "poison" and they tend to stick with their brand, be that Budweiser (although beer, I think, probably has more wiggle room for varying brands) or Jim Beam. [/quote] Which brings to mind another thought. If weed were to be legalized I think that it should only be available through tobacco shops, not from your gas station or grocery store. I just had a thought of someone going to the store to buy milk and pot and it made me laugh but weirded me out a little.
Guest Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 [quote name='rkwright' timestamp='1296174257' post='2205412'] I know I have already made this point, but I still see a somewhat lax attitude towards marijuana that concerns me. To all those reading who occasionally smoke the marijuana... I would really urge you to examine your conscience on this. That money, in some way, most likely ends up fueling the drug wars in Mexico. Those wars are taking numerous lives every day. One border town has had 3,000 murders (thats more than 9/11); if I remember correctly the entire death toll is somewhere in the 20,000 range. Yes work to change the laws - but do not encourage the criminals in their actions. [/quote] I barely ever smoke. The last time I got some my buddy got it back home in cali from a friend who had a medical card. So it was all legit. Even the container I got it in says medical cannabis and has a bunch of numbers. But I hardly ever smoke. I enjoy being sober. I like to drink to but its tough for me not to get drunk. Really tough.
IcePrincessKRS Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 [quote name='Nihil Obstat' timestamp='1296174558' post='2205419'] In Canada you can only get beer at liquor stores too. Except Costco has a liquor section. Nicotine affects the brain too. Just not much. Obviously it's a question of where to draw the line. I think that's mostly a question of prudence. [/quote] Isn't that part of why cigarettes are so addictive? (I dunno, I'm not a smoker... except my friend has turned me on to the hookah and when we have a block party I enjoy smoking it... I told Matt he needs to buy me one. haha)
IcePrincessKRS Posted January 28, 2011 Posted January 28, 2011 [quote name='Delivery Boy' timestamp='1296174636' post='2205423'] I barely ever smoke. The last time I got some my buddy got it back home in cali from a friend who had a medical card. So it was all legit. Even the container I got it in says medical cannabis and has a bunch of numbers. But I hardly ever smoke. I enjoy being sober. I like to drink to but its tough for me not to get drunk. Really tough. [/quote] I am not sure that makes it legit. If it's illegal in your state even if it's medical from another state isn't it still illegal to possess it? And wouldn't sharing be like sharing prescription drugs (which I think is technically now "allowed")?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now