An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Without Rcia?

Anastasia13

[quote name='Light and Truth' timestamp='1303173131' post='2229976']
Does this ever work? [url="http://www.ehow.com/how_5071141_become-catholic-rcia-removed.html"]http://www.ehow.com/...ia-removed.html[/url]
[/quote]

I am going with no, it does not work. Becoming Catholic, going through RCIA is far more than learning the Mass. RCIA teaches you the doctrine of the Church, the Catechism, the Traditions, the theology, the meaning of the mass, the meaning of all the other sacraments, and lots more that I am forgetting. Becoming Catholic is more than going to mass it is believing in the most basic tenants of the Church (one baptism for the forgiveness of sins, the Holy Trinity, Immaculate Conception, the Real presence in the Eucharist, everything in the Nicene Creed, and a few more). Being Catholic is more than memorizing prayers. I had another friend ask me about this and I told her no too. If you read the warnings and tips at the bottom you will note it tells you to go to a liberal church, one that does not abide by everything the Church teaches. Becoming Catholic is so much more than what that article describes.

Anastasia13

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1303173790' post='2229984']
I am going with no, it does not work. Becoming Catholic, going through RCIA is far more than learning the Mass. RCIA teaches you the doctrine of the Church, the Catechism, the Traditions, the theology, the meaning of the mass, the meaning of all the other sacraments, and lots more that I am forgetting. Becoming Catholic is more than going to mass it is believing in the most basic tenants of the Church (one baptism for the forgiveness of sins, the Holy Trinity, Immaculate Conception, the Real presence in the Eucharist, everything in the Nicene Creed, and a few more). Being Catholic is more than memorizing prayers. I had another friend ask me about this and I told her no too. If you read the warnings and tips at the bottom you will note it tells you to go to a liberal church, one that does not abide by everything the Church teaches. Becoming Catholic is so much more than what that article describes.
[/quote]
Let's suppose-I like playing with hypotheticals that relate to me-one Lutheran, went to a Christian school, took a course on faith and reason in the renessance, on general philosophy relating to God and morality, and on comparative monotheistic religions, then took a catechism course, had a few theological discussions with Catholic ministers over the years, read a lot of the catechism, did two english papers on theology/ecclesiology, read nearly all of Catholicism for Dummies, and owned a couple Catholic apologetics booklets that had been flipped through and also used in pro-Catholic sides of online debates, and a have been here a few years. Would such a person still be obligated to sit through an entire year of Catholic understandings 101?

Edited by Light and Truth

MissScripture

[quote name='Light and Truth' timestamp='1303174263' post='2229986']
Let's suppose-I like playing with hypotheticals that relate to me-one Lutheran, went to a Christian school, took a course on faith and reason in the renessance, on general philosophy relating to God and morality, and on comparative monotheistic religions, then took a catechism course, had a few theological discussions with Catholic ministers over the years, read a lot of the catechism, did two english papers on theology/ecclesiology, read nearly all of Catholicism for Dummies, and owned a couple Catholic apologetics booklets that had been flipped through and also used in pro-Catholic sides of online debates, and a have been here a few years. Would such a person still be obligated to sit through an entire years of Catholic understandings 101?
[/quote]
I would think you may be able to do some sort of modified RCIA or something, though that would vary from place to place. But I think it would be far better to be upfront about your intentions with a priest and give him the scenario straight out rather than mess around like that link described. And if a person still had to go through RCIA, would that really be the worst thing in the world?

Debra Little

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1303173790' post='2229984']
[/quote]

how can you become a good Catholic Christian without these? i went through rcia but wasn't taught any of these things and i feel the lack.
i spend a lot of time,have been for the last 34 years learning them.

Debra Little

Let's suppose-I like playing with hypotheticals that relate to me-one Lutheran, went to a Christian school, took a course on faith and reason in the renessance, on general philosophy relating to God and morality, and on comparative monotheistic religions, then took a catechism course, had a few theological discussions with Catholic ministers over the years, read a lot of the catechism, did two english papers on theology/ecclesiology, read nearly all of Catholicism for Dummies, and owned a couple Catholic apologetics booklets that had been flipped through and also used in pro-Catholic sides of online debates, and a have been here a few years. Would such a person still be obligated to sit through an entire years of Catholic understandings 101?
[/quote]

it doesn't last for years, more like several months

Anastasia13

[quote name='Debra Little' timestamp='1303175296' post='2229993']
it doesn't last for years, more like several months
[/quote]
Typo.

One of my friends whom I met in the Newman club said I would probably be bored in it, so I thought I'd look it up.

My mom could probably come in without it. She took "instruction" twice about 50 years ago but never got baptized because my dad refused to go through with the annulment of his first marriage eventhough he had automatic grounds. She's going on 89 years old now, so I figure that if she wanted to get baptized, I could arrange it. She's just gotten stubborn about it now.

Vincent Vega

It's a very stupid article, but yes, you can become Catholic without RCIA.
It's not like RCIA has some prerequisite magic that's only absorbed after a matter of months, or even like RCIA been around for as long as the Church (or even for as long as the radio). It nearly happened to me. It's at the discretion of your pastor, and so usually they'll have you do RCIA, but I'm sure that exceptions are made.

TeresaBenedicta

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1303177158' post='2230007']
It's a very stupid article, but yes, you can become Catholic without RCIA.
It's not like RCIA has some prerequisite magic that's only absorbed after a matter of months, or even like RCIA been around for as long as the Church (or even for as long as the radio). It nearly happened to me. It's at the discretion of your pastor, and so usually they'll have you do RCIA, but I'm sure that exceptions are made.
[/quote]

This.

There are alternatives to the RCIA, but they are infrequently used. The Rite is the norm-- and for good reason. It's not just classes and it's not just information. It's an initiation into something far bigger than yourself. At the heart of RCIA is the initiation process, the rites, the fellowship... [i]not[/i] necessarily the information. It's a beautiful process.

AccountDeleted

When I converted, there was no RCIA. When my brother was converted some twenty years later, there was. He enjoyed his classes because he did them with his wife, who was a cradle Catholic, and they grew closer to the whole Catholic community in the parish. I think it was good for him.

A woman I know is a Jewish convert and she used to talk to her elderly mother about the faith over many years. One day her mother said to her, "I'd like to be baptised but I'm too old to go through all kinds of instruction." When this woman told the priest, he was happy to baptise the elderly woman only on what she had learned from her daughter.

Every person is an individual and will come to God and the faith in different ways. I believe that I could have used more instruction before being baptised, but God chose to bring me the way that I came, at the time that I came to Him. I have had to learn by myself and through others over thirty plus years now, and I appreciate the richness of the Church more now than I ever did in the beginning.

If I were doing it today, I think I would enjoy the opportunity to get to know people and to learn about the faith through RCIA, but I can also understand why some people feel resistant to it's structure and organization. A lot probably depends on the people who are actually teaching it and the others involved as well.

Perhaps the thing is to try to see God's will in the way that He calls us. Pride can sometimes cause resistance too, and it doesn't hurt to be a little humble in these matters......

LouisvilleFan

Let's suppose-I like playing with hypotheticals that relate to me-one Lutheran, went to a Christian school, took a course on faith and reason in the renessance, on general philosophy relating to God and morality, and on comparative monotheistic religions, then took a catechism course, had a few theological discussions with Catholic ministers over the years, read a lot of the catechism, did two english papers on theology/ecclesiology, read nearly all of Catholicism for Dummies, and owned a couple Catholic apologetics booklets that had been flipped through and also used in pro-Catholic sides of online debates, and a have been here a few years. Would such a person still be obligated to sit through an entire year of Catholic understandings 101?
[/quote]

Speaking as someone who was in your shoes once (raised Lutheran, well-read about Catholicism, and inquired to a priest about skipping RCIA), I would recommend going through RCIA. Being Catholic is so much more than book knowledge. You would learn a lot from the experience that none of that other stuff can teach.

Edited by LouisvilleFan

I am the type you call a cradle catholic, I had the advantage of going through catholic schools until high school so I learned a lot that way. We always had classes before each sacrament, I even went through pre-cana before I got married. I constantly read up on things, the Catholic faith is rich with traditions from the early fathers through the church doctors to this very day, there is much to learn and it would seem that RCIA would give one a great foundation for their faith to be built upon. I have met and had discussions with other cradle catholics who are, unfortunately some of the most ill informed catholics I have ever met, these people should have RCIA even though they have been in the Church since a child. I would embrace RCIA if I were considering joining the Church. The article you posted seemed as if it were advocating a lie, it asks the reader to go to a church for a year and shake the priests hand so he would get to know you, and try to find a liberal parish, these seem like deceits aimed at circumventing the process, and any christian knows that deceit is lying and forbidden in the Ten Commandments. The article was an outrage in my opinion.

ed

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Ed Normile' timestamp='1303183450' post='2230051']
The article was an outrage in my opinion.
[/quote]

eHow.com does not strike me as a reliable source of information about anything.

Anastasia13

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' timestamp='1303181345' post='2230037']
Speaking as someone who was in your shoes once (raised Lutheran, well-read about Catholicism, and inquired to a priest about skipping RCIA), I would recommend going through RCIA. Being Catholic is so much more than book knowledge. You would learn a lot from the experience that none of that other stuff can teach.[/quote]
Were you ever in a Catholic club before converting?