An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Without Rcia?

Anastasia13

Anastasia13

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' timestamp='1303183855' post='2230053']
eHow.com does not strike me as a reliable source of information about anything.
[/quote]
My inquiry lies in logical practicalities, not in any deep respect for the site.

[quote name='Light and Truth' timestamp='1303184278' post='2230056']
My inquiry lies in logical practicalities, not in any deep respect for the site.
[/quote]

As has been said in multiple posts RCIA teaches things about the Church you may not already know and it is an experience. By going through RCIA you go through the Rite of Christian Initiation. This is a Rite, there are scrutinies that you go through not to mention being brought into the Church at the Easter Vigil mass. I go to a Catholic university and students here, despite having taken the very strenuous theology courses we have to take still have to go through RCIA. The head of campus ministry and the university chaplain insist on it. There are things you learn in RCIA that you do not learn by reading or skimming through things. I highly suggest it and most parishes are going to tell you that you have to take RCIA. They want to make sure you have learned everything you need to and are making an informed decision. As Nunsense said, sometimes a little humility is required. When I joined I had devoured books on Catholic theology and apologetics, read the catechism, and read a good part of Thomas' Summa. I learned a lot in RCIA.

Anastasia13

[quote name='fides' Jack' timestamp='1303185309' post='2230073']
God bless converts!

YAY!!!
[/quote]
FYI, I am not planning on converting. Long live Orthodoxy!

Archaeology cat

I didn't go through RCIA. I met with the priest, went to Mass, did reading, asked a lot of questions, and went through Landings, which is technically geared towards bringing lapsed Catholics back into the Church. God humoured my impatience.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' timestamp='1303183855' post='2230053']
eHow.com does not strike me as a reliable source of information about anything.
[/quote]
:o

say it ain't so!

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Light and Truth' timestamp='1303184215' post='2230055']
Were you ever in a Catholic club before converting?
[/quote]

Wouldn't say so... went to a couple of Catholic youth events/retreats. I suppose if there's any practical truth to the eHow article, it is definitely possible to get around RCIA, as long as you receive the sacraments.

i have a friend that received private instruction and then entered the Church at Easter.

if my husband ever converts then he will also probably do private instruction, as i don't want him to go through RCIA and have to re-teach him.

MissScripture

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1303263713' post='2230401']
i have a friend that received private instruction and then entered the Church at Easter.

if my husband ever converts then he will also probably do private instruction, as i don't want him to go through RCIA and have to re-teach him.
[/quote]
Why do I get the feeling you don't have much faith in your RCIA instructors? :|

[quote name='MissScripture' timestamp='1303263872' post='2230402']
Why do I get the feeling you don't have much faith in your RCIA instructors? :|
[/quote]
:| no reason to get that feeling at all. :|

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1303264144' post='2230406']
:| no reason to get that feeling at all. :|
[/quote]

I understand Red perceived hesitance. There are, in my area, lots of RCIA programs that are subpar and just do not really teach you or teach you what my instructor called "Catholic Superstition" e.g. you have to pray the rosary (you don't). I was blessed my RCIA instructor has her MTh from the Angelicum and has a degree in Cannon Law. She taught us well. We had to meet once a week for three hours plus there were a number of 3 or 4 hour long Saturday classes.

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1303264827' post='2230413']
I understand Red perceived hesitance. There are, in my area, lots of RCIA programs that are subpar and just do not really teach you or teach you what my instructor called "Catholic Superstition" e.g. you have to pray the rosary (you don't). I was blessed my RCIA instructor has her MTh from the Angelicum and has a degree in Cannon Law. She taught us well. We had to meet once a week for three hours plus there were a number of 3 or 4 hour long Saturday classes.
[/quote]
that sounds great!! :)

I'm more concerned with RCIA programs being taught by ex-nuns with a penchant for heresy.

EcceNovaFacioOmni

My grandfather felt like he was too old for RCIA, so he talked to the pastor. He gave him a self-study program and baptized him after Mass a while back. No big deal.

[quote name='Lil Red' timestamp='1303265047' post='2230416']
that sounds great!! :)

I'm more concerned with RCIA programs being taught by ex-nuns with a penchant for heresy.
[/quote]

Oh dear. I fortunately have not heard of any of those. I think you're in my area of the world so if you want the name of the parish I went through i would be happy to give it to you. I very much understand wanting quality private instruction. Even with the cradle Catholics I know and I know a lot thanks to going to a Catholic university I see lots of really, really bad catechisis. It always amazes me what they have been taught is doctrine. Many of them have been taught that the church teaches that all other faiths are invalid and hold no truth. Grrrr. Ok. Done with my soap box now. Thank you all.

I hope you find a great instructor for your husband and congrats!!!!

[quote name='emilier98' timestamp='1303275664' post='2230452']
Oh dear. I fortunately have not heard of any of those. I think you're in my area of the world so if you want the name of the parish I went through i would be happy to give it to you. I very much understand wanting quality private instruction. Even with the cradle Catholics I know and I know a lot thanks to going to a Catholic university I see lots of really, really bad catechisis. It always amazes me what they have been taught is doctrine. Many of them have been taught that the church teaches that all other faiths are invalid and hold no truth. Grrrr. Ok. Done with my soap box now. Thank you all.

I hope you find a great instructor for your husband and congrats!!!!
[/quote]
well, he's not converting yet...but there is hope. :) thank you.