An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Without Rcia?

Anastasia13

Archaeology cat

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1303841996' post='2233474']
You don't have to be confirmed/received at Easter.
[/quote]
Very true. I entered the Church in December 2004.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='eustace scrubb' timestamp='1303839815' post='2233453']
I'm tired of trying to find an RCIA program in this city that's orthodox. Easter came and went and I'm still not confirmed. I've done so much Catholic Apologetics (based on what I've read and studied) to Protestant non-denominational Christians and non-Christians that to have to go through RCIA [i]despite not being able to physically handle it (even through private study)[/i], drives me nuts. I fully understand needing to enter community with other Catholics and agree with that, but that just doesn't exist here. The only thing like that in my area is all the way across town, I lost my transportation to it, and I despite [b][i]repeated[/i][/b] requests for help, have been ignored. It's infuriating and frustrating. This is absolutely ridiculous. Do I have any other options???
[/quote]

If you're in Cincinnati area, what about St. Gertrude? Don't know what to say about rides besides the bus. It's difficult getting involved in any community... modern society is very transitional and many young adults are not settled on any one parish (or career/city/marriage/etc). God doesn't always call us to the most orthodox or joyful or welcoming communities and I think you'll find that just about every parish has a few parishioners who are more faithful than you might expect.

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' timestamp='1303841996' post='2233474']
You don't have to be confirmed/received at Easter.
[/quote]

Isn't that Easter in the southern hemisphere?

• 1 year later...

I was confirmed this past Divine Mercy Sunday—praise God!—and did not, technically, go through RCIA. The parish's RCIA schedule conflicted with my university class schedule, and I was in a mighty hurry to receive the Eucharist. I met once a week (sometimes more) with the world's most holy sponsor, and was confirmed on schedule with the others who went through RCIA. So far as I know, I am the only one of my "class" who regularly attends Mass and confession, volunteers at the parish, reads extensively on Catholicism, is still in weekly contact with my sponsor (whom I now refer to as my godmother), etc.

So, I think it really depends on the person. A priest is probably the best person to discern what an individual needs. I am a "self-starter", very cerebral, and there was no way I was going to get confirmed without understanding the basics of what the Church teaches. I really did not need RCIA. It would have just frustrated me. It moved WAY too slow (and was way less orthodox than my sponsor). My sponsor worked with me at my pace. God bless her. She will go straight to heaven.  :angel:

Edited by curiousing

Basilisa Marie

1.  THREAD NECROMANCY.    :dead:  

2.  I nearly had a heart attack at seeing Teresa Benedicta's post...seeing as she's off being an extremely busy Sister Maria Asterone Dodeka with the SSVMs and has next to no time for letters, let alone the internet. :) 

3. Oh, Cam42.  

4. During my freshman year of college my dad joined the Church (from being ELCA Lutheran) a few years ago, and he never did RCIA.  He just got "re-confirmed" during a daily mass.  He did meet with our priest (and his pastor) a few times to talk things over.   So I guess the point is that RCIA can be a great tool for introducing someone to the faith, but what's really important is that they've got the faith and the knowledge to be "ready."  

4b. I only found out my dad was converting the DAY BEFORE IT HAPPENED.  You'd think my mom would have mentioned something sooner during the hundred or so phone calls a week I received from her.... :hehe2:

3. Oh, Cam42.  

4. During my freshman year of college my dad joined the Church (from being ELCA Lutheran) a few years ago, and he never did RCIA.  He just got "re-confirmed" during a daily mass.  He did meet with our priest (and his pastor) a few times to talk things over.   So I guess the point is that RCIA can be a great tool for introducing someone to the faith, but what's really important is that they've got the faith and the knowledge to be "ready." 

What happened with Cam42? Wasn't he a church scholar back in the day?

I wonder if that would have been possible for me. I was ELCA, confirmed, read a couple Catholic Apologetics books, and took a 9 week compendium of the Catholic Catechism course 3 years ago.

It's interesting that this happened so often.

P.S. Better necromancy than necrophilia.

Edited by Light and Truth

Congratulations Curiousing! :)

And Cam, ah Cam, one of only two Phatmassers to ever manage to make it onto my Ignore list because he couldn't treat me like a civilized human being.  I'm not unthankful he's gone.

Congratulations Curiousing! :)

And Cam, ah Cam, one of only two Phatmassers to ever manage to make it onto my Ignore list because he couldn't treat me like a civilized human being.  I'm not unthankful he's gone.

this.

If you're in Cincinnati area, what about St. Gertrude? 

A solid choice, if I do say so myself.  

I was actually just talking to someone who went through absolutely no formation, and received baptism, 1st communion, and confirmation at once.  

A solid choice, if I do say so myself.  

I was actually just talking to someone who went through absolutely no formation, and received baptism, 1st communion, and confirmation at once.  

None? Why?

Basilisa Marie

I wonder if that would have been possible for me. I was ELCA, confirmed, read a couple Catholic Apologetics books, and took a 9 week compendium of the Catholic Catechism course 3 years ago.

I dunno; I would say probably not, but it depends on the priest.  My dad had been attending mass with my family for about ten years, was pretty active helping my mom do events at church (set up and take down, that sort of thing) before he converted. There was another guy in a similar situation that entered the Church with him.  Like others said in this thread, a very large part of RCIA is helping a candidate or catechumen form relationships and find a place in the parish community.