An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Without Rcia?

Anastasia13

None? Why?

He's not really sure.  He comes from a Protestant background, where joining the Church meant showing up and "being saved."  He apparently asked about joining the Church right before Easter and then BAM! he's Catholic.  

Coincidentally, he's a Catholic rapper, and tours with Lecrae (that has nothing to do with the thread, but this is Phatmass).  

I dunno; I would say probably not, but it depends on the priest.  My dad had been attending mass with my family for about ten years, was pretty active helping my mom do events at church (set up and take down, that sort of thing) before he converted. There was another guy in a similar situation that entered the Church with him.  Like others said in this thread, a very large part of RCIA is helping a candidate or catechumen form relationships and find a place in the parish community. 

I inadvertently stumbled across how to join without it, not that I am planning on leaving the Oriental Orthodox church any time soon.

He's not really sure.  He comes from a Protestant background, where joining the Church meant showing up and "being saved."  He apparently asked about joining the Church right before Easter and then BAM! he's Catholic.  

Coincidentally, he's a Catholic rapper, and tours with Lecrae (that has nothing to do with the thread, but this is Phatmass).  

Dude I love Lacrae!  Again, not really to do with the thread, but still.

Ooh, this reminds me that the 8th anniversary of me entering the Church is tomorrow!

Congratulations AC!!

I don't think that RCIA should be something one aims to be omitted from. I am currently in RCIA and I am learning so much despite being a Christian for most of my life and participating in a part of an RCIA program a couple of years ago (I wasn't ready at the time to become Catholic as I was still heavily debating staying within Protestantism). My sponsor and the other sponsors learn a lot by participating event though they are cradle Catholics. We even have members of the parish come to our meetings to observe and learn more about their faith. My instructor even said that he is always learning something new about Catholicism everyday, as there is no such things as learning too much or everything within the Catholic Church. 

I have heard of a women who was able to have a form of private tutoring instead of RCIA class with a priest and was able to become fully Catholic earlier due to her work with prayer houses and evangelization movements. I also know of some who take different steps to go from Orthodox to Catholic, or have been baptized only but have never been confirmed/taken Holy Communion. Speak to your parish priest, they will know what is best for each individual to become Catholic.